Author Topic: New numbers matching dilemma question...  (Read 502 times)

Offline highspeeddirt

New numbers matching dilemma question...
« on: May 15, 2006 - 04:13:26 PM »
Some might remember my questions a while back about the fact my car was a numbers matching 318 car, and how the value of 318 cars, numbers matching or not, aren't up there compared to the 340's, 440's ect. ect. but might be someday.  Anyway, long story short....  I found out today, that my transmission is NOT numbers matching.   :swear: How much of an impact does a non matching trans make?  And then with that in mind, would I just be just shooting the originality value in the foot if I was to go ahead with a 4 or 5 speed conversion?  I know it all boils down to what I would "like."  :burnout:  But I don't want to make a mistake that might be a BIG mistake later down the road.  When I get old a decrepid and can't drive the car anymore, it would be too hard to figure out which one of my 4 daughters would get the car, so selling it and dispersing the funds would be the logical choice, and I would want the most "bang for the buck" if ya know what I mean.  Those daughters take a lot of $$ to maintain!  :roflsmiley:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: New numbers matching dilemma question...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006 - 04:50:16 PM »
I don't think a non numbers trans hurts that much.  Most people are more concerned with the motor that the trans.   :2cents:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006 - 09:37:28 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline Robb

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006 - 08:47:39 PM »
On a 318 car.....

The Manual conversion (4 or 5) will outweigh a numbers matching auto tranny, in re-sale value.
probably get the best bang for the buck with the Passon performance OD 4 speed conversion on a car like this one.

unless there is something(s) otherwise "valuable/attractive" to a potential buyer that would otherwise influence the desire for a matching engine tranny.

I agree with 4C, if you had to have an item with the wrong vin on it, the tranny is it.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006 - 09:02:33 PM »
The important one when it comes to #'s matching is the motor. Having said that, it is always nice to have the original motor. It says a little more about the car. It shows value because the car had apparently been taken care of. Now I agree the 318 is not really a desirable motor in comparison to it's larger brothers. If I were you, I'd add a 340 or larger and keep the original on a stand. That way it doesn't get hurt, yet you can still have the muscle you are after.