MOPAR BUYERS or SELLERS BEWARE, From MCG,

Author Topic: MOPAR BUYERS or SELLERS BEWARE, From MCG,  (Read 1940 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
MOPAR BUYERS or SELLERS BEWARE, From MCG,
« on: May 16, 2006 - 06:47:15 PM »
Buyers beware.  Scanned from the Latest MCG.  Worth reading. I scanned it as a pic. Please read the entire article.  Reprinted with the permission of Shelby Dogg.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006 - 09:44:08 PM by 4cruzin »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Alaskan_TA

Re: MOPAR BUYERS or SELLERS BEWARE, From MCG,
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006 - 06:54:34 PM »
Wow! I hope they find the perps!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006 - 07:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I've sold many cars and advertise on an internet free site.  I have at least 15 bad counterfeit cashier's check that I keep in a folder.  If you are ever contacted with an e-mail to send funds to a "shipper" after receiving a check for mure than you're asking, call the bank.      Here's how the scam works:  I Advertise a car for $4000.    Scammer e-mails and says he's from London, Africa, New Zealand, Nigeria, etc. And wants to buy car and owes a shipper here some money so he'll send me a cashier's check for $8000.   I get a check, deposit it, then western union $4000 to a shipper that also e-mailed me.    Bank calls a week, or 2 or amonth later saying the chack was bad and I now owe them whatever i've spent.     The car never gets picked up, and I may be arrested for passing a bad check.           

I never give them a good phone number and string them along for weeks saying that "my wife stole your check" , 
I never got it, Send me another one, what's the tracking number, etc.    I'm easily amused.....  I was told all these scammers are in a Nigerian Prison with access to computers and friends to withdraw the Western Union money.  Use Google to search "NIGERIAN CAR SCAM"

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline djr71

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006 - 07:58:41 PM »
There was just a story about this in the Boston area. Someone was going to look at a car off of craigslist and they got beat up and their money was stolen.

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006 - 08:38:59 PM »
I always talk to a potential/buyer/seller over the phone for a while and feel him out...I guess I have some street smarts so I can tell if it does not feel right...I get a phone or address then do a google search to see if they are "real" and not hiding...as long as they are a public person with a listed phone number and such at least you know they exit as they say  who they are........and as usual

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE....

IT USUALLY IS.......
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006 - 09:50:46 PM »
WOW thats a sad story!  Tough luck for sure . . .  :walkaway:   Bob Peck is here in Michigan . . usually has alot of decent cars!   :cheers:   Hope they recover quickly!   :angelwings:

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006 - 11:17:34 PM »
Thats a story I hope I never have to tell anyone. It's said that these kind of things have to happen and to our hobby to boot. Thanks for the information Rob.
Jeff

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006 - 12:03:30 AM »
"If it seems to good to be true"  :nono:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006 - 12:09:02 AM »
 Hate to hear about this stuff, especially since my 16 year old son always goes with me to fetch everything I buy.
  I'll have to have him read this so he'll be on his toes a little more too.
 Having everyone carrying pepperspray might not be a bad idea when dealing with large money transactions. You'll be quicker to fire it knowing your not going to kill anyone, it's easy to hide and works very well if things go wrong.

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006 - 12:26:54 AM »
Just another reason why I am getting my gun permit when I turn 21. There are just too many shady characters in this world for me not to carry protection. I hope they catch these a$$holes and throw the book at them. Hell, I hope they even try to get them for attempted murder and they spend the rest of their lives rotting behind bars. Personally, If I have over a grand on me then I almost always have someone else with me. Even if Im not carrying a lot of cash, I usually carry a stun gun or knife(within legal limits). At least these people were smart enough to bring protection, even if they didnt know how to use it.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006 - 06:29:18 AM »
My son is 21 this year and always hears the excitement in my voice when I talk about looking at another car. I would never forgive myself if we ended up in that kind of situation.

My friend sold and e-body for $27K a few years ago. Before they left, to meet halfway between St. Louis to New Jersey, they both had identities,phone numbers, work numbers, home addresses, and all of the cashier's checks veriied at the bank. That went okay.   

Another guy had his friend advertising a Mercedes in the paper. A guy shows up to test drive it. A week later, the guy calls and says that he is ready to buy and can he meet him by the bank with the title.  He says goodbye to his wife and is never seen alive again. His body is found and the car shows up a week later, for sale, on a car lot.  A guy had come in with the car and title to sell the car.
Rob

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006 - 06:44:15 AM »
Now that Ohio has a concealed carry law, I am taking advantage of it.  When your life or health is on the line, you can't be too careful.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006 - 01:32:10 PM »
Don't worry, while I am desperate for a car... I wouldn't beat anyone up for it.

That is a horrible story to hear, though. Hopefully they'll catch those hoodlums soon, and give them what they deserve.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006 - 02:04:14 PM »
No way are there any hemi cudas in toledo, OH or gary, In.. I'd pass on both  lol

I would luv to beat the piss out of those guys.. no bats or pipes needed.
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006 - 04:23:33 PM »
I've been up to Bob's place several times, nice guy. I live about 10 minutes out of Toledo and can say that type of scum is few and far between. I don't know that I'd beat the @iss out of them but they would have a hard time plugging the holes.

However about five years ago one of the fathers on my daughters softball team lost his wife to thugs in Toledo. He and his wife owned A-1 Auto parts and they came back to work after dinner and some thugs shot her in the head and shot him also, he lived she didn't. They knew it was a cash business for parts and probably got a couple hundred dollars. They had 2 daughters and the oldest one Sara Mcquen raced Midgets and Sprints. A real tragedy for the family and community.

I don't leave my cars outside after a drive any more. The less visable the better, pretty sad!