Author Topic: Hemi install  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Mike71Cuda

Re: Hemi install
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006 - 09:47:15 AM »
Well pulled engine back out because as all of you guys said it would not work. Now going to attempt to go from bottom. My question now is where specifically I should attach cherry picker to the front of car? Car is done, not in resto mode, entire front clip is on the car. Will I have enough room inside engine bay to clear engine and picker? Waiting to hear from the experts
Thanks
Smitty

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006 - 09:56:24 AM »
I still say Drop the engine in straight down by itself. Pull the center steering link off, Then put the tranny in from underneath.  You'ld be done by now.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006 - 10:05:16 AM »
As I said in earlier threads, I was able to get engien in without hassles, torque converter was the issue. I have that off engine now. No matter what it,converter is going in trans so I don't ruin trans. Unfortunaley scratched valve cover on the removal but had no choice it had to come out. Got some more help so it shoul dgo easier. Thansk for all your comments keep them coming!
Smitty

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006 - 10:59:32 AM »
Pull that center link out!
I put the converter into the trans then lock it it with a strap to hold the converter in all the way. This way, you bolt the trans up to the engine and don't ever worry that the converter will come out of the fully seated position.  After the trans is secure, then remove the strap and bolt up the converter bolts.

It doesn't sound like that you have anything high enough to lift the entire car onto the engine and K-frame in your garage.  What if that thing fell down?

Rob
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 - 11:07:59 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006 - 11:38:52 AM »
Sounds good, what kind of strap? How is it secured?
So by taking centerlink out you can tilt engine back enough to mate up with trans and having it out of the way allows for more run to move trans correct?
Your right about lifting the car, scratched valve covers was enough, I don't know what I would do if I dropped body from 5 or 6 feet!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006 - 12:30:18 PM »
The strap can be anything that holds the torque converter in.  I use a small angled box wrench bolted to one of the lower cover bolts. it angles inward and presses against the converter. If you don't understand, I will take a picture tonight when I get home from work.

Rob

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006 - 12:32:06 PM »
I think I get it but if you could send me a picture
Thx
Mike

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006 - 11:21:31 PM »
Here you go..
Rob

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006 - 12:00:07 AM »
Here is a pic of one of my racing 904s with the musinger converter installed. This one is dusty but ready to go and I store it this way. Once you get close to the back of the engine you can take the strap off but the converter will stay in place because the tranny is tilted back and gravity will hold it in
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 - 12:01:45 AM by 360cuda »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:22:57 AM »
Or use these 2 holes. Then you can remove the brace AFTER the tranny is bolted in.
Rob

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006 - 09:39:34 AM »
Shelbydogg
Great pics that expalins it exactly! Great tool to have in the arsenal. Thansk for all of your help.
Smitty

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006 - 01:39:49 PM »
Got the Hemi in!
A buddy of mine came by and we gave it one shot from up top and it went in smoothly. Tied teh trans in. I have the Schmacher Hemi mounts and they don't align exactly. that is teh only thing left to do. I will get some pictures togethr and pot them. Thansk again everyone for your help it was very helpful!
Smitty

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006 - 02:21:27 PM »
Glad to hear that Mike.  Did you put it in in 2 pieces like I suggested from the start?  Goes in the easiest that way, if you don't mind putting in the trans from underneath, and doesn't cause lots of damage on the way in.

Rob
Rob

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006 - 12:59:05 PM »
Rob,
Yes did it that way, thanks. just need to button teh whole thing up. You guys are running teh Mopes up from Fla with the Power Tour huh? I am from Jersey and will be down on Fri, do you guys have a place scouted out for E-town (pit/spectator side)? Let me know if I can add any info, spent many days there.
Mike

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006 - 01:03:01 PM »
I don't have place scouted but will be parking with the Mopar Collector's Guide people WHEREVER THEY PARK.

Rob
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010 - 12:23:10 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob