Author Topic: 70 Challenger/Cuda Passenger mirrors.  (Read 1461 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
70 Challenger/Cuda Passenger mirrors.
« on: May 17, 2006 - 11:23:19 PM »
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been posting, but I take a look every now and then.  It's good to see the site still has good content and discussion.

In any case, the reason I'm posting is because I've been working on a project in an attempt to reproduce these mirrors as you can see in the picture.  The problem is that the project has been a headache, didn't work out as planned, cost too much and it depresses me every time I see these in my garage because of other reasons I don't want to talk about  :( .

I would like to sell the ones that I have and try to get something out of them besides bad memories.  They are not made exactly as the originals but look just like them when mounted to the car.  They are cast aluminum and can be painted or chromed (or polished as a couple are in the picture).  Some would be good for chroming and others would probably be better painted.  Also, the glass is not included (can be obtained easily).  I really want to get out of these and recover some of my (poor) investment.

What you see is currently all I have (except one that is going to be painted with my car) and the only way I'd make more is if there was a lot of interest.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, offers or suggestions.  I can post more detailed pictures if you like.  Feedback please.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 - 10:01:21 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: 70 Challenger/Cuda Passenger mirrors.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 - 10:10:30 AM »
So what will you sell me one with a base for?    How close are they to matching a real one?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 - 11:47:10 AM »
So what will you sell me one with a base for?    How close are they to matching a real one?

Same questions and I need one that will look good chromed.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 - 03:01:02 PM »
They look pretty darn good to me.   :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006 - 03:25:56 PM »
But we can't see the tops. Maybe there are a a dozen huge holes on that side.... :bigsmile:
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

daves70

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 - 03:26:17 PM »
They look GOOD to me too!! To bad it didn't work out for you. There has to be a market for these as rare as they are. :grinyes:

Offline cudasteve72

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006 - 05:14:40 PM »
do they fit on original bases and do the original guts work in them?
If so I would be intrested in one for paint.
1972 Cuda Custom 70 clone  416 stroker 481/531 hp/
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (daily)
1970 Challenger convertible 340 (Dad's)
1967 Dart gt slant six all original 40,000 miles driver but needs restoration (Brother's)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's)

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 - 05:25:06 PM »
me too.. I am trying to decide between the chrome set I currently have or doing some painted ones...
I dont want to strip the current ones because the chrome is too nice.
how much for a set??

LMK..

Brent

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006 - 11:55:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  Sorry it takes me so long to respond, I've been pretty busy lately.

In any case, to answer the questions.  As for what I want, I would like $150/mirror to get out of them.  If I were to continue making these, I'd probably be at the $200 mark.  I currently have 8 full units (head, base, backing plate and internal hardware).  If necessary, I could come up with 5 more (I'd have to have a few more bases and backing plates cast) but I'm not really intending on that.

As for the mirror internals, they are not the same as the original.  The original ball-stud was a push/press in spline.  These are a threaded ball stud that is set into a hole in the back of the mirror head.  Something like JB Weld would hold it in.  In my test unit, I used silicone as a glue and it held great.  I was also able to take it apart.

The base is solid and the head is screwed to the base instead of the other way around as in the original.  I'm attaching a bunch more pictures that should show how it is put together.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 - 10:03:22 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006 - 07:23:46 AM »
I'll pass,  You always lose money for startup tooling, and have to sell many to get your money back.  I thought you might want about $50 to get rid of one.
Rob

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006 - 11:39:21 PM »
Thanks for looking though.  You're right about startup costs.  I'm only trying to get back what is in the mirrors themselves.  I've already resolved that the R&D costs are a distant memory.  Bummer.