Author Topic: Valvetrain noises  (Read 705 times)

Offline Jmand

Valvetrain noises
« on: May 18, 2006 - 07:02:54 PM »
Back again with (probably) another dumb question! :screwy: So I got the electrical bugs out of her ('73 'cuda 340) and now I'm noticing a "clacking" under hard acceleration, say 3800 rpm plus. Fear gripped me but I drove her for another twenty minutes and it was all fine unless I really stood on it. First thoughts were lifters? Did the old test, ran her in the driveway at "clacking" rpm for a few and checked each header tube - all hot (very hot ;)  ONly other thought without tearing into her is a header leak. Guy i got the car from had lowered  ( 3 leafs out back) and just pulling out of the driveway I've dented my driver side headers all up. Dying to drive her now that nice weathers returned to the city - any advice or test I can run??
Thanks!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Valvetrain noises
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006 - 02:41:55 AM »
probablyt a header / exhaust leak

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006 - 05:36:22 AM »
could it be pre-detonation? a bit high on the RPM but clacking is exactly how I would describe the sound.  :bigshades:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006 - 09:13:05 PM »
Could be either of the above, and both are easy to diagnose and repair.  Hope it is something easy and cheap to fix!   :bigsmile:   :bigsmile: 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006 - 02:31:23 PM »
I agree wit Bullitt, It's probably pinging. Try retarding the timing a feww degrees and see if it gets better.  By the time you can hear it, it's too late.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0