Author Topic: 1970 cuda theft recovery for sale  (Read 5023 times)

Offline MWILSON904

1970 cuda theft recovery for sale
« on: May 20, 2006 - 05:52:40 AM »
Here is a cuda for sale, according to the dealer the car was stolen and recovered missing the motor and a/t.  They are asking for about 22k.
I haven't went and seen the car up, but here are some pics.  The vin is BH23GOB433691  I had them send me a bunch of pics, it appears that there is no fender tag.  The under car pics look clean,what do you think it's worth missing drivetrain and fender tag? if the overall condition is good?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline sadil340

Re: 1970 cuda theft recovery for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006 - 07:25:52 AM »
22k sounds fair to me - you can get small or big block repros from Mopar Performance and make whatever you want out of it. If you're not interested pls forward the details to me, thanks.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006 - 09:01:56 AM »
Depending on the condition, that sounds maybe a bit high IMO. 

If the car is in really great shape, like it's had a resto in the past several years, it has the VIN on the dash and it matches all around the car, it might not be a bad deal considering how much $$$ you would put to restore the car yourself. 

Think about how much you would have to put into an engine/tranny then think about what a complete car of this caliber would go for.

Make sure it has a clear title.  Not sure if it being a recovered theft makes a difference when you have to title it and register it.

Since you don't have a fender tag, the skies the limit as far as what options you want to do.  Since it has the 440 hockey stick stripes that'll lead you in a nice direction!

Decoding the VIN, this was originally a 318ci car.

Sorry, I'm more familiar with Challengers.  Is this a Cuda or a Barracuda?

I think it's a Barracuda.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline inot2old

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006 - 10:09:00 AM »
Depending on the condition, that sounds maybe a bit high IMO. 

Sorry, I'm more familiar with Challengers.  Is this a Cuda or a Barracuda?

I think it's a Barracuda.

BH is a Barracuda, although someone has put the Cuda emblem on it.  I does look good, but $22,000 does seem high with no drivetrain.  Can you get a good title easily?
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline MWILSON904

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006 - 12:36:21 PM »
I spoke with sales (they say 20k is the lowest price, "we have about 20 people looking at it")  Spoke with the mech. and he said they had cut the wiring harness and broke the steering column and there was some minor damage. He said that the car is clean in the typical rust area's. The title is clean.  The car had been restored/cloned and had a 440 6 pack.
Currently, I have a 318 1973 barracuda that I could dump for 13-15k in a flash and pay the difference for this car.  I already have a 383 and trans in garage.
If I don't make the 3 hour drive to inspect within a couple of day's I'll post all the info if someone else wants to pick it up.

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006 - 06:11:18 PM »
Looks like a good deal to me.

Offline nakita7

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006 - 03:52:07 AM »
I spoke with sales (they say 20k is the lowest price, "we have about 20 people looking at it") 

For those of you who may be new, that is fancy flipper talk for '20 other people also think the price is too high'....

72 Charger Rallye (440 auto)
72 Charger Rallye (318 auto)
71 Charger RT

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006 - 07:30:00 AM »

For those of you who may be new, that is fancy flipper talk for '20 other people also think the price is too high'....

:iagree:  But will you feel bad if you don't snatch it up for $20K?

I call it the Ebay syndrome:  When I don't bid that little bit extra and miss out on an oppurtunity that I wish I hadn't lost.

Since you already have the engine/tranny it looks interesting but you still have to deal with the steering column and the wiring which can be a pain in the butt.

You can't even drive it so you have to think about other potential problems too that you can't assess just by looking at the car.

Not to sound negative, but just a informed consumer.  It does look pretty cool! :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline uthustler

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006 - 05:44:13 PM »
that car is with karkrazy in Miami, Fl. They tend to want a pretty penny for everything they sell.

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006 - 09:33:14 PM »
If the car doesn't require any rust repair and you like the color, $20K is a good deal if you want to make a clone or modernize it.  Especially if you already have a spare drivetrain in hand.  Metal work and paint alone can set you back a good chunk of that asking price.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006 - 06:19:08 AM »
If you don't jump on that soon, you'll find out that 20 other people really were interested and it'll be gone if you blink twice. 
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006 - 07:28:04 AM »
Here is a cuda for sale, according to the dealer the car was stolen and recovered missing the motor and a/t.  They are asking for about 22k.
I haven't went and seen the car up, but here are some pics.  The vin is BH23GOB433691  I had them send me a bunch of pics, it appears that there is no fender tag.  The under car pics look clean,what do you think it's worth missing drivetrain and fender tag? if the overall condition is good?

Thanks,
Mike

Hay Mike, I've seen this car at the dealer it's not to far from were I work. If you like I can go look at it for you. That car was stolen off there lot along with a Hemi Cuda clone, an inside job from what I heard. Kar Karzy does have some nice cars, but they are all on the pricey side.
Vince

Offline fantum

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006 - 12:16:10 AM »
According to the salesman I talked to, this car sold to someone in Maryland for the full asking price.

I did get a close up look at the car and it looked pretty complete and in pretty good shape.  It had a golfball sized dent in the right quarter panel just in front of the wheel.  The car had previous body work and had about 3/16" thick bondo.  The car was on a stand when I saw it, and the bottom side looked pretty clean.  Probably not a bad car for the price.

I looked at several other 'Cudas and noticed that all of the fender tags were missing, and many of the motors had been changed for bigger, better motivators.  The two the salesman showed me (a '71 Gran Coupe and a '70 440 Cuda 4-speed) looked pretty tight, however both had serious trunk leaks.

Like BC indicated, the guy's cars are very pricey, but not too far out of line with today's prices.  Most were marked down from their original prices, and the salesman gave me the impression the owner may be willing to deal (a little).

If you go to their website, see something you are interested in and want a second opinion let me know and I will go check it out.

fantum
Mike

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006 - 01:04:33 AM »

Seems OK to me.....drop a $30K Crate HEMI into it and do some minor TLC you have a $80K+ car for $60K.

You do the Maths..... :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006 - 02:55:25 PM »

Not 'cuda........B-A-R-R-A-C-U-D-A.....

Good price for a done up body awaiting drivetrain, but only if a good title is able to be acquired....if not, it will be hit up for a salvage title, NO THANKS!

David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD