Author Topic: What do (can) I do???  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
Re: What do (can) I do???
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006 - 05:30:04 AM »
Just  tell him that you either get the Car or the Money back with  Interest or you going to take his ARSE to Court and get the Car you sign a Contract now live  up to your end of the deal, and Yes We are  Sue happy over here  or we just take you out behind the Barn and Bury you  so All you got to do is tell him  He can be Bury right beside Jimmy Hoffa, I think he will change his Mind then :stomp:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006 - 05:51:42 AM »
I still have hope for you......because he said "yes" a second time before reneging leads me to believe he is not as determined to keep the car as you would think.

You could try getting him to oblige by telling him all the hoops you went through to get the $$ for his car...selling off your beloved cuda, getting financing in place, AND the fact that he said "yes" a second time with a 15% deposit in hand AND a signed contract. After stating the facts, politely ask him if he would reconsider the hell he put you through and to consider meeting up his end of the deal.

Hey, its worth a try. You don't find N96 cudas much nowadays and sometimes its worth the battle. Not a violent one involving money grubbing lawyers or fistfights, but something two mature men can come together and agree upon.

I'd ask to meet him at his residence where the car is, and from there, do a sit-down and see if you can make this deal happen. Oh, bring the 85% remaining cash with you (preferably a cashier's check), and put it on the table, and get everything in writing.

You never know, something good might come out of it.....  :)

Also tell him you'll keep his name and number and if you ever decide to sell it he'll be the first one you call.

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006 - 08:33:35 AM »
yup in the old days we did not sue, you paid... hospital bills, etc ...

if you get your money and fees, I would prorate a little extra to cover your time, gas etc.  You may try reminding him of the binding contract, he may just sell you the car afterall.... :villagers:
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006 - 10:50:55 AM »
If you get your deposit and fees back, consider yourself lucky and don't do foolish things in the future. Sorry to be harsh on this, but maybe others can learn.

1. You get an oral contract to buy this guy's car and sell your own car in good faith.

Mistake 1: the contract was oral (correct?). Written contract with contingency clauses would be much better.

2. You can't live without a cuda and decide to buy one with the cash you had burning in your pocket.

Mistake 2: I hope you the new cuda you bought was an N96 'cuda. If not, what was the point?

3. This guy comes back and agrees to sell you the car. You go get a loan. No written contract? Fool me once....

Mistake 3a: taking a loan to buy a muscle car.
Mistake 3b: not getting the latest offer to sell in writing, complete with contingency clauses.

Now, I've known men to do silly things over women, but over a car? Hmmm...   :rofl:

Offline 700HPCharger

• Heartland Mopars
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006 - 10:56:32 AM »
If you get your deposit and fees back, consider yourself lucky and don't do foolish things in the future. Sorry to be harsh on this, but maybe others can learn.

1. You get an oral contract to buy this guy's car and sell your own car in good faith.

Mistake 1: the contract was oral (correct?). Written contract with contingency clauses would be much better.

2. You can't live without a cuda and decide to buy one with the cash you had burning in your pocket.

Mistake 2: I hope you the new cuda you bought was an N96 'cuda. If not, what was the point?

3. This guy comes back and agrees to sell you the car. You go get a loan. No written contract? Fool me once....

Mistake 3b: not getting the latest offer to sell in writing, complete with contingency clauses.

Now, I've known men to do silly things over women, but over a car? Hmmm...   :rofl:

overnight him a 15% deposit AFTER we BOTH sign a purchase contract/bill of sale via fax
In many states a verbal contract is just as binding as a written one,just harder to prove...

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006 - 03:25:01 PM »

I agree with most of all you say above, except 3a. When a loan cost me 6.5 % a year, and Mopar musclecars are appreciating at 10-15% a year, seems like a good move to me, and I've had good experiences with all the cars I've financed, made a profit even with the intrest I've paid.

Offline common 27

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:02:48 PM »
 :iagree:   With the prices that these cars are bringing I know I don't have that kind of cash to spend,so a loan would be the only way for many of us to get one.
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:19:14 PM »
 He signed the contract, unless there is a statement in it that allows breaking the contract under certain situations- and those situatiions were met, too bad for him

Only you and he know what the contract states.

Tell him you are holding him to the contract.  If he has sellers remorse too bad.  You will be there at such and such time on such day with the balance owed.  Bring money, bring a friend, to drive the other car home.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:46:17 PM »
I agree with most of all you say above, except 3a. When a loan cost me 6.5 % a year, and Mopar musclecars are appreciating at 10-15% a year, seems like a good move to me, and I've had good experiences with all the cars I've financed, made a profit even with the intrest I've paid.

You have bigger stones than I do!

Offline uthustler

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:49:39 PM »
I've had this happen to me a few times, just get your $$ back, and the fees you incurred including any intrest you'll have to pay on the JJ best loan, i think there is a minimum intrest charge of 3 months intrest that he should reinburse you for.

Tell him that you are not a happy camper over this, make sure you let him know how you feel. Then NEVER get involved with this guy again on any kind of car deal. Once a deal is made, thats it, you follow thru.

Or, use the loan and buy my hemicuda!!   

:rofl:     :cheers:

how much are you asking?

Oldschool

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006 - 06:59:48 PM »
Or, use the loan and buy my hemicuda!!   

:rofl:     :cheers:

Trades?   :dunno: 

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006 - 09:50:03 AM »
Walk into a car dealer, sign a sales contract, then try to back out of it once the waiting period has expired. You will quickly find out what happens!

He's legally bound by the signed sales contract to sell you the car, unless your state has a waiting period, and he backed out within the allowed time frame. If he did not exercise his option to back out during the allowed time frame, then the car is yours. I suggest you file charges with the local District Magistrate or Justice of the Peace. This can be done in the district where either of you live. In such a case, most likely, he will be ordered to turn over the vehicle and you will be ordered to turn over the balance. The court may even take the vehicle and your cash into custody, and complete the contract. In the state where I live, this will cost you under $100 and no lawyers or jury are involved as the Magistrate issues a ruling based on the facts and documentation presented. You might want to check out how it works in your state.

What you do depends on how well you know the guy. If the guy is a friend or family member, and you want to maintain the relationship, your best bet would be to get your money back and walk away from the deal. However, If you really want the car, and you don't ever care about talking to him again, it's your right to force the deal to completion. If you decide to do this, go speak to the JP ahead of time, and seek his advice, as they will usually do this if you are the party that has been wronged, which you are. Also tell him that you would like him to send the Sheriff to collect the vehicle immediately after judgement, if you win, because you feel that the guy may try to damage it in some way, hide it, or sell it to a friend in order to get out of the contract. Do not tell the seller that you are planning to file charges to force the sale. Again, discuss this with the JP, but usually the court will send him a summons to appear on the court date. If he doesn't show, you win automatically. Chances are, he will show up, and try to explain his side, but legally, he won't have a leg to stand on. Since courts will uphold a legal contract, you will win, and the deal will be forced to completion.

I know this is a little harsh, but he did it twice, and a contract is a contract. If he had any doubts, he should have never entered into a legally binding agreement. By the way, in many states, there is a clause which allows you to collect triple damages if a contract is broken. In your case, I don't know what they would base this on, but that alone may be enough to make him go through with the deal, as they would put liens against his personal property, and could even garnish his wages. Who knows; It may give you enough to buy that Hemi-Cuda!

Then again, you could take it to Judge Judy. You'd win in a heartbeat!

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006 - 04:28:44 AM »
I hope this Guy that you are buying or did buy this cuda from is not on this forum after reading all these  to do or not to do   :ebay:

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006 - 09:20:35 AM »
I know a few Teamsters..... :icon16:
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.