Need Vehicle Shipping Help

Author Topic: Need Vehicle Shipping Help  (Read 2324 times)

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
Re: Need Vehicle Shipping Help
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006 - 09:43:53 PM »
Howdy Folks,

Still looking to rent (one-way) a truck and single vehicle enclosed trailer to move my new Convertible Challenger from Detroit, MI area to Los Angeles, CA area.  I can't believe no rental has tapped into this market.  Could the Teamsters Union have something to do with it?

Thanks.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006 - 10:10:07 PM »
I think most people are using trucking companies to move their cars.  I have heard of people buying an enclosed trailer wherever their new car is and then selling it when they arrived at their destination for a profit.  Still need a truck though.  WHat color was it again??  I may have run across it as I'm in Detroit.  Good luck with the new car and I hope it arrives in California safely!    :wave:

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006 - 10:59:31 PM »
I used FEDEX/Passport recently and was pleased.....Kansa to Ga for I think 1500.00
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006 - 03:32:59 PM »
So here's the latest,

Have narrowed all the choices to two carriers. They'll both ship for $1,700.00 (enclosed, door-to-door).  Has anyone had any experience with either "Blue Highways" (www.bluehighways.net) or "Intercity Lines, Inc." (www.intercitylines.com).  I am feeling more inclined to go with Intercity based on info provided on their website and their 'satisfactory rating' on the Better Business Bureau's website.  These rates are not the cheapest I've received, but they're not the most expensive either.  Quotes from $1,200.00 to $2,600.00 ($2,600.00 for enclosed trailer; door-to-door of course; very personalized service; company only has two diesel duelies with gooseneck 48' enclosed trailers; operated out of Georgia).  This option is just a bit too expensive.  Plus they couldn't gaurantee a pick-up window.

Thoughts?
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006 - 03:45:10 PM »
  I would be concerned about the tarp flapping against the car's show winning paint job if I used an open U-Haul trailer.   Thanks.

Just to clarify : NEVER trailer a car with a car cover on it ! Trust me on this one.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006 - 09:23:19 PM »
E-Body Friends,

I have purchased a 1970 Challenger Convertible located 2 hours North of Detroit, MI.  I need to move the car to Los Angeles, CA.  My problem is the difficulty I am having in choosing a reputable and honest vehicle shipper.  Any past experiences to report or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  The distance is 2,300 miles.  I will insist on enclosed, door-to-door service.  I would also consider independent single vehicle haulers.  Another option would be to move it myself as long as I could rent a truck and an enclosed single vehicle hauler one way from Detroit to Los Angeles.  Any suggestions?  I am not having much luck locating a rental company to meet my needs.

Thanks for your help.

my friends and I use one guy only.....Gary Almond, Almond Exotic Transports.....he has hauled many Vipers and Prowlers for my friends and I....one car enclosed trailer/to your door...no dropping the cars off for others to pick up...he is a Viper owner himself.....he delivers cars all the time worth much more than I care to tell....he is honest, dependable and above all, he cares about the cars he has in his possession....I think his EMail is ...galmond@almondexotictransports.com  ....he is well known on the VCA board.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 - 05:40:45 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006 - 10:07:20 PM »
I gotta go with Daytona on this one.  Gary is the VERY best when it comes to shipping cars.  He does it because he loves cars.  This guy retired a long time ago and can do what ever he wants.  I have worked with him and also know others who have done business with him... NEVER ANYTHING LESS THEN PRAISE!

Call Gary before you make your decision..... let him know the Cuda-Challenger.com board sent you.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006 - 01:10:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Gary Almond (Almond Exotic Transports).  I have emailed him for a quote and will hopefully receive a response soon.  It looks like he operates out of Maryland.  So, I am concerned about the costs to drive from Maryland to Detroit to pick up the car and then take it to the Los Angeles area.  We'll see what the quote comes back at and I'll let ya know. :money:

Thanks again.  BTW, still looking for any feedback on Intercity Lines and/or Blue Highways.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006 - 01:46:32 PM »
I think he runs out of his truck.  Try calling him there.... 240-994-1343

I have used Intercity Lines once (back in 1999).  it was ok.  I went with them becasue they were the cheapest.  The wait was longer then they said.

I didn't know much better at the time.  Now that I have seen how much better it is to use Gary, I will never go anywhere else.  Oh ya.... one more thing.  USE GARY!  You will be very happy.  Intercity is going to pick your car up.  Take it to a hub unload it.. store it until another truck is going your way.  Reload it and ... you get the idea.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip on Gary Almond (Almond Exotic Transports).  I have emailed him for a quote and will hopefully receive a response soon.  It looks like he operates out of Maryland.  So, I am concerned about the costs to drive from Maryland to Detroit to pick up the car and then take it to the Los Angeles area.  We'll see what the quote comes back at and I'll let ya know. :money:

Thanks again.  BTW, still looking for any feedback on Intercity Lines and/or Blue Highways.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.