Author Topic: replacing inner fenders  (Read 2826 times)

Offline 73MIKE

replacing inner fenders
« on: May 24, 2006 - 09:22:29 AM »
 :feedback:Hey all! I am new to this awesome site.I have a73 challenger project in the works for a couple years.
It needs inner frt fenders. If I were to replace 1 at a time by cutting out spots would I need extra bracing and supports.THANKS

Offline 700HPCharger

• Heartland Mopars
Re: replacing inner fenders
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006 - 10:30:08 AM »
When I talked to a body guy about the same thing, he said to take multiple measurements and then go about it, never really said to brace it, just make sure every measurement is the exact same when the new panel is in.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006 - 10:22:58 AM »
Is your engine out?   I think you'll be okay. The upper cowl to top shock mounts look flimsy but holds things together. I've seen race cars not running any inner fenders at all. 
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006 - 12:35:54 PM »
When I talked to a body guy about the same thing, he said to take multiple measurements and then go about it, never really said to brace it, just make sure every measurement is the exact same when the new panel is in.
:iagree:
If you do this ,,, you can't go wrong. I would (and DO) release some pressure by jacking up the car a LITTLE  from the pinch weld area on the rocker panel.
Then Install the new panels,

Remember something,,, E body fenders will move approximately 1/2 inch in all
directions upon installation. (this is a GOOD thing) . you shouldn't have any problems.
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006 - 04:03:19 PM »
I did my inner fenders one at a time and everything turned out correct, just make sure to take a lot of measurements....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 - 08:11:15 PM »
I have to replace both of my rusted out fender shields, was it tough to drill them out?  Do I need a chisel too after drilling?   Where did you get your shields, are they all made by the same supplier?

I have been looking at this spotweld "gun" at Eastwood as a possible way to attach the new shields, has anyone used one of these?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1227&itemType=PRODUCT

Bill
 :working:
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006 - 08:50:21 PM »
What is really needed to weld those is a resistance clamp type spot welder.The gun in the post I don't think will give enough heat to penitrate the shock towers as they are much thicker than regular sheet metal.Drill 3/16 holes in the new panels and plug weld them with a mig.Then you know you have strong welds.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 - 11:50:44 PM »
Same idea for replacing a damaged inner fender (collision)? Who's inner fenders are you using? I know Auto Body Specialties sells repops. I'll be welding holes and flattening areas on mine, but I will first replace them from the spot welds. If a car needs to go on a frame machine, would it be better to have it go on with the damaged inner fender, or the replacement?

Thanks
-Mike
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006 - 04:51:01 AM »
You want any frame work done before welding on the new panel.I like to leave the old panel on if posible as you can usually see the buckles smooth out as you make a pull.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006 - 02:55:45 PM »
Does anyone make correct inner fenders for the 70?
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006 - 08:10:51 PM »
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.  Do all those inner fender shields come from the same source?  I have seen them for sale by several vendors but they all seem to use the same (or close to) part numbers and the same photos in thier "catalogs".. The prices are all pretty much the same, but the freight varies a LOT.  :o

What is really needed to weld those is a resistance clamp type spot welder.The gun in the post I don't think will give enough heat to penitrate the shock towers as they are much thicker than regular sheet metal.Drill 3/16 holes in the new panels and plug weld them with a mig.Then you know you have strong welds.
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006 - 08:35:15 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I think so, I'd just go for price with shipping.
Dave

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006 - 11:42:56 AM »
Same idea for replacing a damaged inner fender (collision)? Who's inner fenders are you using? I know Auto Body Specialties sells repops. I'll be welding holes and flattening areas on mine, but I will first replace them from the spot welds. If a car needs to go on a frame machine, would it be better to have it go on with the damaged inner fender, or the replacement?

Thanks
-Mike

Goody, your framework will (or should) happen with all original damaged components intact on the vehicle for the "INITIAL PULLS". (minus the fender) The technician most times wants to see how the car is responding to the pulls, and believe it or not, sometimes you would think something has to be replaced and pulls out really nice. I was able to save
both quarters on this superbee.  I have SEVERAL more pics of this car during the repair process if anyone is interested. p/m me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 - 11:48:59 AM by WANG »
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006 - 07:15:55 PM »
I am trying to decide if I should replace the whole inner fender or jsut the bad spots. As seen in the pic I have rust and buckleing around the front hinge bolt holes on each inner fender. Also it is bad around where the battery tray sits on the inner fender. The rest of the inner fenders look good other then the spots I mentioned.

So should I...

1. Install comlete inner fenders
2. Use the patch panels they sell for the hinge area and then fab up a piece for the battery tray spot.

Has anyone used the patch for the hinge area? How do they go in? Is the nut on the back side included?

:1zhelp:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006 - 10:03:00 AM »
I would bring that whole area down to bare steel before you make that call. Looking quick it looks like you have rust in the panel the inner well spots to. So you may not want to use the patches and a year or two from now have rust showing again at the factory spot weld seam. I drill holes in the new panel, then use a mig to try to closely duplicate the spot weld effect. It takes practice, and can require some finishing to get the exact right appearance tho.