Author Topic: replacing inner fenders  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: replacing inner fenders
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006 - 10:20:06 AM »
Did you by chance see the article in Mopar Muscle, Oct. 06? It has an article on how to do inner fender replacements just to let you know.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006 - 12:11:26 PM »
Did you by chance see the article in Mopar Muscle, Oct. 06? It has an article on how to do inner fender replacements just to let you know.

I did see that and have read it a couple times, pretty decent write up  :thumbsup:

I would bring that whole area down to bare steel before you make that call. Looking quick it looks like you have rust in the panel the inner well spots to. So you may not want to use the patches and a year or two from now have rust showing again at the factory spot weld seam. I drill holes in the new panel, then use a mig to try to closely duplicate the spot weld effect. It takes practice, and can require some finishing to get the exact right appearance tho.

Thats a good point that, I will have to do that then revisit this post and ask again with some newer pics. The reason I ask is the patch panels are $$$ for a little more you might be better off replaceing the whole thing...

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006 - 01:48:52 PM »
Mrbill, you are getting too anal about minor panel fitting. If you have a good body guy just buy the part at your closest location (to save freight) and let the body guy do the rest. All of the panels need tweaking and poking around to fit. My full Mopar restoration quarter panel even required the same poking around to fit.
I would recommend that if your body guy has a chassis machine that you cut the panels out first, then align the entire car on the machine (the cars didn't come from the factory very straight anyway) then replace the panels and weld in. You end up with a guaranteed straight car by doing this.
Barry (Salmon Arm)