Author Topic: 68 Satellite questions  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Bonkers

68 Satellite questions
« on: May 25, 2006 - 02:32:53 PM »
Hey guys and gals - I've been lurking here for a long, long time trying to find a cheap 74 cuda to build up as my Daily. After watching the prices on these things climb higher and higher I decided to set my sights a little lower. Along came a 68 Satellite.

I snatched the car up from ebay (item 4643198807) and even with shipping its still less than anything I've come across locally... hell on the east coast. Worse case scenario is that I hate the car and will flip it. Best case is that I love it and will save up for a 70 Roadrunner. Either way this car is strictly business so functionality trumps originality on all fronts.

I ask everyone for their opinions.

My biggest concern is the torsion bars and transmission. I've never fought a torsion bar before... ever. What kind of nightmare did I set myself up for? Also I want to swap out the auto for a 4-speed, maybe upgrade to something with a little more cid. I know swap kits are a dime a dozen, but what should I be looking for in terms of reliabilty?

Thanks everyone.
------------------------------------
I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

"First rule of performance modification - not being able to accelerate won't kill you nearly as fast as not being able to stop." - Dad-in-law and chief mechanic.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: 68 Satellite questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006 - 04:50:07 PM »
Same Bonkers from the viper board?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006 - 06:44:47 PM »
Got some pics of the Satellite to share?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Robb

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006 - 07:35:21 AM »
love that body style...
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Oldschool

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006 - 09:04:46 AM »
Sweet car...   :thumbsup:  Reminds me of a 68 Hemi Runner I used to have...   :ylsuper:   I wish I still had that one!....      Good luck with your new ride...   Keep us posted...

Offline Bonkers

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006 - 11:12:07 AM »
Same Bonkers from the viper board?

The wonderment that is me cannot be contained to one national forum... you lucky dogs...  :smokin:............... I'm messin', but yes, he and I are one in the same.

Robb - thanks a bunch for the pics - I'll take more once she's home.

Well everyone - am I looking at a nightmare repair or a simple swap out? I'll be cutting my rust-repair teeth on this one. All my other projects have always been newer, pre-rot cars.

"First rule of performance modification - not being able to accelerate won't kill you nearly as fast as not being able to stop." - Dad-in-law and chief mechanic.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006 - 11:32:20 AM »
Aw you lucky dog, you havent lived until you sweep away the brown flakes off the garage floor and then ask yourself, "Now what do I fill that hole with?"  :roflsmiley: But on the other hand when you receive the car and are up to your eye balls in "brown flakes" and are ready to give up bring it on down to Ohio. Love the 68-69 years, the 70's for some reason just didn't trip my trigger but then in 71 and 72 they set me off again. The Roadrunner and the Cuda are the visual pic 99% of Americana see when they are asked about Mopars.  :bananasmi  Good luck Mopar bud.  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006 - 12:39:58 PM »
there may be a 69 Roadrunner for sale down the road from me soon...if you are interested IM me and i will keep you in mind..if he Does decide to sell it...

Greer, Sc 29651 :ebay:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006 - 03:15:40 PM »
You know how to tempt an ole Mopar guy don't you, especially when I know exactly where your driveway is loacated  :roflsmiley: But since I just got this running last fall and now with about 150 mile on the rebuild I better just keep my eyes closed. But thanks, but should you come accross any 71 Demon's or Dusters you know how to get in touch with me.  :roflsmiley:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006 - 05:28:10 PM »
I wondered how long it would take someone to find me over here.  You'll love this board!

And guys (and gals).... he's cool.

The wonderment that is me cannot be contained to one national forum... you lucky dogs...  :smokin:............... I'm messin', but yes, he and I are one in the same.

Robb - thanks a bunch for the pics - I'll take more once she's home.

Well everyone - am I looking at a nightmare repair or a simple swap out? I'll be cutting my rust-repair teeth on this one. All my other projects have always been newer, pre-rot cars.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006 - 06:26:32 PM »
Oooooh... frame rot... *cringe*

Offline Bonkers

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006 - 06:53:47 PM »
Oooooh... frame rot... *cringe*

That is exactly, almost to the word, the type of responce I was really hoping I wouldn't hear.

For a car that will likely see snow and salt on occation, can it be properly fixed regarless of how how bad the repair looks?

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006 - 07:53:10 PM »
That is exactly, almost to the word, the type of responce I was really hoping I wouldn't hear.

For a car that will likely see snow and salt on occation, can it be properly fixed regarless of how how bad the repair looks?

It can, but I definatly would not want to drive it during the winter where you live.  I may have daily driven my Barracuda last winter, but that was because I had no other car, not because I wanted to.  Road salt does terrible things to our old cars...

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006 - 06:21:21 AM »
I wondered how long it would take someone to find me over here.  You'll love this board!

And guys (and gals).... he's cool.

My siter in law lives there.....I will have her track you down........................................just kidding....

nice area......like to get back over there