Author Topic: 68 Satellite questions  (Read 2314 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: 68 Satellite questions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006 - 07:29:20 AM »
Oooooh... frame rot... *cringe*

It`s all just metal replacement only slightly more involved for frame rails and cross members.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006 - 09:54:39 AM »
It`s all just metal replacement only slightly more involved for frame rails and cross members.

Still makes me cringe, though.

Offline Bonkers

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006 - 11:07:54 AM »
I wondered how long it would take someone to find me over here. 
So are we the only VCA posters here? If so that would shock the snot outta me since I personally know so many viper owners who also big into the classic iron. Let the good times roll...

Ghost - I'm not going to intentionally drive it in bad weather, I have my truck for that, but I need to get about 20,000 miles per year so I have to expect everything. My cars always get around. If it can be properly repaired with minimum cost I couldn't care how orginial or nice it looks - functionallity trumps showability every time in my book. My concern is that this cannot be fixed correctly within the cheap/easy catagories. On my other projects I would just buy a cheap used frame section, or get a donor to tap - these babies aren't exactly laying around the junkyards though and they're are far from cheap.
------------------------------------
I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

"First rule of performance modification - not being able to accelerate won't kill you nearly as fast as not being able to stop." - Dad-in-law and chief mechanic.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006 - 12:59:15 AM »
I'll ask a dumb Ca. question for those of you dealing with salt in the rust belt.....
anyone ever repair those members with stainless? i know it's a little heavy/$ etc., but is it feasible?
or maybe the disimilar metals don't work out when patching.... :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Bonkers

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006 - 10:01:24 AM »
Well she finally got here this morning... All kinds of screw-ups along the way, but she's home and catching some rays in the driveway right now. I'll look her over later and take some detailed pics. The frame rust isn't as bad as the auction pics showed, but it'll still need work. The 318 smokes baddly at start-up but slowly heals itself - sounds great though. Transmission shifts with attitude to spare. She'll need AC, disc brakes, a manual, and a lot of small componenets don't work (like the high beams) which will keep her off the road longer than expected.

I have to say that I forgot what its like not being incapsulated by technology. I can hear the car's aches and pains, feel the road, smell the exhaust... nothing like getting back to basics.

I'm going to bed so I'll look her over more tonight.
------------------------------------
I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

"First rule of performance modification - not being able to accelerate won't kill you nearly as fast as not being able to stop." - Dad-in-law and chief mechanic.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006 - 11:16:47 AM »
try auto rust techicians?  I'm pretty sure that they make t-bar caps for repairs

Good luck

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear