Author Topic: Anyway to get a good hemi crate for under mopar's (possibly) outrageous price?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Sukhoi

• Mr. 3-d
Now, I could be wrong, but I feel like 20'000 for an engine is just paying for the HEMI name plate, but then again I don't know what extra manufacturing processes have to go into making a hemi block.

I'm talking about a 426, not a 5.7/6.4 litre

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Then why don't you just put in a complete Fuel Injected Indy Cylinder Head Stroker motor, putting out 850 HP? It'll be cheaper but it still isn't a HEMI. The Hemi block machining is similar to the RB blocks except for the extra head bolt bosses for the inner head bolts.  The name is what brings the big bucks when you put it in an e-body. So basically you are right on.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline matt63

I thought that the crate hemis started at $11K US.  You could build or buy a 440 short block (or stroked version) and use the Stage V hemi heads.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Basically the Hemi is overpriced , there is a lot of unique parts to justify Some of the extra cost though , for example the rocker amrs are $120 each x 16 , there are 4 rocker shafts -$400 & 10 rocker pedestals that cost $800 or so , so the valve train alone after buying the heads is still  close to $3000

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
Buy a block and build it yourself, the way you want it. I have a block on backorder now.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
I couldnt even afford a Hemi Crate let alone a Crate Hemi :roflsmiley:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
3-4 years ago I had on ebuilt for just under 9K.  I used a seasoned block (used), had it bored 30 over, put in a new MP crank, custom Ross pistons, cat h-beam rods, and a good set of used heads.  It took me almost a year to find the used hemi block and heads at an affordable price but was very pleased with the results.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Now, I could be wrong, but I feel like 20'000 for an engine is just paying for the HEMI name plate, but then again I don't know what extra manufacturing processes have to go into making a hemi block.

I'm talking about a 426, not a 5.7/6.4 litre

Hemi crates are not 20K, usually around 13-14K. Thing is you had better take that crate motor apart and check it out before you install it. The crate motor i had in my 71 (472) was disassembled and new ARP rocker studs installed. Should have put in a new rear main seal too, as after 2K miles it started leaking.

You can get Arruza or another of the known hemi engine builders to build you one for under 20K, depending on what you want. You may have to wait a bit longer than for a crate motor, but probably worth it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
FHO can build a lot better engine than the Mopar crate but the cost is similar

Offline EVIL72

What's FHO? "Fast Hemi's Only"  :roflsmiley:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
For Hemis Only / Tim Banning in Ontario Canaduh

Offline EVIL72

I like the 572 and 600 C.I. Street and bracket race Hemi's  :ylsuper: :drool:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)