WE HAVE BOTTOM!!!

Author Topic: WE HAVE BOTTOM!!!  (Read 5453 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: BOTTOMLESS!! NO WOT!! NOW WITH PICS! (06/06/01)
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006 - 07:53:59 AM »
Bullit, and everyone with this type of kickdown linkage, or sees one.
The front yellow arrow was drawn to show the gap in the throttle pressure lever, that should not be there. The rear yellow arrow shows the mounting hole that would move the arm forward to close the front gap.

The black arrow is pointing to the pivot rod that causes the over-center (stuck at Wide-Open-Throttle) condition.   Normal length is okay for a stock height manifold. Putting on any other type of high-rise (anything higher than stock) manifold, where the throttle arm is raised,  the rod causes the throttle pressure arm to end up in a position where is locking it down after a WOT condition. No amount of return spring pressure can return it to idle position and tapping the gas pedal is useless.  (ask Robb above) I had to think quickly, turn off the ignition, use lots of braking, avoid cars and pull into a parking lot to see what had stuck. A friend of mine lost a 71 340 Cuda this way.

Lengthening the rod is only one possible solution to fix the problem before property damage occurs. A new one can be fabricated or the old one can be cut/welded longer.

If you have one of these, manually work the throttle to WOT to see if yours sticks.

Rob

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006 - 07:56:21 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Robb

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006 - 09:10:17 AM »
please everyone, take a 3rd or 4th read of Shelbydogg's post right above.  Then go out and with the help of a friend (on the pedal) TEST YOUR CAR FOR THIS.

Having your carb stick at wideopen throttle is not only deadly to you, but also other people.

When my carb stuck open I was street racing (very bad and not encouraged) and to this day Im pretty sure that it was the closest that I have knowingly come to meeting-my-maker.  We did our race and at 60mph the other guy gave up, I let off the pedal so I could slow down and the car just kept going!!

Uncontrollably Blow thru 2 redlights (close together) at 90mph in a 40 mph zone (and on my way to one of the busiest intersections in the area) and your own mortality is quickly realized.   If its something you have never had to think about "gee what would I do if it happend to me ?"  your having to mitigate not wrecking the car into someone else at that second as well as what to do to also stop the situation.  The gas pedal is dead on the floor just limp, and the car is going faster and faster....

I said to myself challenger/schmallenger and thru the transmission into neutral to regain control of my speed, and just let the engine race at WOT, while I still had power steering and brakes.   Luckily I was furiously stomping on the gas pedal and by some miracle it finally let loose. (total luck and nothing but)  I had good return springs on the carb at the time, but over-opening the carb caused the linkage to bind.  I didnt have the sense to turn off the motor at the time (almost a panic state) but if I had come to a complete stop or close to it, maybe I would have ?

I post my story on this not to brag or show off or anything like that,  but just so that somebody else out there will realise just how serious this can be and that YES it can happen to YOU and do your due diligence to keep it from happening.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006 - 10:12:59 AM »
Thanks Robb.   It was like Dena-Vu reading your story. Mine was so similar that when I saw Challenger72's post about putting on a new intake then saw his kick down linkage; it brought back memories immediately, that I had to warn him.  Mine happened around 1982 and it quickly popped up reading this thread. That’s how much it affected me. Luckily I’m still driving the same car today.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006 - 03:23:49 PM »
This is what can happen when your throttle sticks.

440-6 4 speed super-trac pac 70 runner, #'s matching
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006 - 01:17:31 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline ESGEE

• 1970 Challenger RT/SE
    • SG´s site
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006 - 05:37:46 PM »
That Roadrunner meet a brutal ending and the driver wouldent feel so good either....
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B196875)
70 Challenger RT/SE(Looking for 383 Magnum N0B115166)
70 Challenger SE(RT/SE clone)
69 Charger RT/SE 4speed Trackpac
70 Charger 500

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006 - 09:53:48 PM »
OKAYOKAYOKAY!!!  tee-hee!  I'm so frickin excited!

Alright...I took all of your advice...recalibrated the throttle linkage, moved the kickdown lever, and made DARN sure that nothing was sticking (!!) but it was still running less than perfect...then I noticed that a few of the ignition wires were sticking to the headers!  As soon as I moved one, the motor was sounding better!  So I relocated the routing for the wiring, and it helped a lot...but still no burnout!!  I was dead set on getting rid of the darn choke plate!  Ever since the carb was rebuilt with that darn choke, it's been a hassle...so a few bud's in a Tim Horton's coffee shop and I gathered around, and took off the choke plate, then proceeded to lay 30 feet of rubber pulling out of the parking lot!!  I didn't even have chance to up-shift out of first!  Both hands gripped the wheel, it fishtailed so wildly!

So me, and a convoy of ricers hit a local (HUGE) parking lot, and ran time-trials, so I could practice launches.  Using the slap-stik was really nice, but going straight off thru 3rd spun and fishtailed way too badly.

I really want to thnk you guys for all of your help...she'd never be healthy were it not for your assistance, and it means a lot.  In return, as long as it isn't rained out, I will post pics of the MoPar Day at the strip. 

Woo-hoo!  10.5 hrs and counting!!
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006 - 11:05:09 PM »
Thats great news 72challengerR/T!   :thumbsup:

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
Re: WE HAVE BOTTOM!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006 - 07:47:37 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand naturally, the event was rained out today!  >:( :crying:
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006 - 12:46:30 PM »
 :woo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006 - 01:21:00 PM »

I'm sh1tting my pants reading this thread, honestly.  :sly: :crying:

How do I know if I have a bad throttle linkage set up? Can you tell if I post a photo of it?  :dunno:

That poor Plum Runner - R.I.P  :sadwavey:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60