Author Topic: Drive shaft yoke  (Read 1332 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
Drive shaft yoke
« on: May 28, 2006 - 08:08:52 PM »
Here is my dilema.  My 73 barracuda was originally a 3 spd stick.  I recently put a 23 spline 833 4 spd in it.  I brought my old driveshaft into a local shop to be balanced and for new yokes to be put on.  When I tried to put my drive shaft into the 833 it would go in about 2 inches then it would stop and go no further into the tranny.  When I tried it in my old 3 spd tranny the drive shaft went all the way in with no problem.  When I brought the shop the old driveshaft it had the old yoke on it so they just replaced it with the same one.  So my question is did mopar have different yokes for different trannies.  Could there be some thing internally wrong with my 833 like the teeth that the shaft slips into are mangled.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Drive shaft yoke
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006 - 12:06:55 AM »
there were different yolks & that is most likely the problem , the od may be slightly larger & not sliding inside the bushin gin th etail housing , the splines could be damaged on the tailshaft but 99% of the time if it was damaged it would be damaged at the end not in the middle 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MoparMatt383

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006 - 06:51:22 AM »
Yea thats what I hope it is that I need a different yoke.  I figure I'll call Brewers up on Tues and see what they say because they had a bunch of different yokes listed on their site.

Matt

Offline rchurch

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006 - 12:13:45 PM »
You may be having the same problem with your 833 that I am having with my 727.  I'm swaping the 904 for a 727. I ordered a brand new yoke (manufactured by Mopar) through a distributor. When it arrived It would go into the bushing but the splines would not find a seat. we tried it in another 727 transmission, same story. Contacted the distributor I bought the part from & volenteered to pay the shipping if they could prove me to be inept at installation. Shipped the mopar yoke back to them. They tried to install it on 3 seperate transmissions, exact same story & problems that I had. talked to the owner of the place on friday (5-26) & the mopar rep is comming down to pay them a visit to see what the heck is going on because mine was the first of 3 such yokes that have been sent back to them with the same issue. All were manufactured by mopar. If they can't figure it out there, they're going to take the shaft out of one of their transmissions & take the yoke I bought back to the factory & figure out what happened and bust some heads. (at least that is what I was told on friday)

Offline MoparMatt383

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006 - 08:54:33 PM »
I called Brewers up today.  The guy there told me that the 833 should have a 29 spline yoke.  I counted the teeth on my yoke and it was 29.  Next I figure I'll look in the back of the tranny and count the teeth on that and maybe that will give me a clue.  The guy at Brewers also said that the 904 had a 25 spline yoke and the 727 had a 29 spline.  All I know is that I dont want to have to take that heavy 833 out again.

Matt 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006 - 12:15:40 AM »
I really doubt the trans is the problem , the 727 & 833 uses the same yolk , have you tried it in a 727 yet ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t