MADMAN looses all sense & creates kick panels for speakers

Author Topic: MADMAN looses all sense & creates kick panels for speakers  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
      I have created my own kick panels for my Challenger in order to be able to have a four stereo speaker system without altering the original parts of the car to any great degree. The main problem to overcome was speaker depth on the driver’s side as the emergency brake pedal severely limits what can be done. Also there is limited space a speaker can be recessed into the body. The only area available is the approximately 5” square opening that gives access to the lower door hinge bolts. I was able to determine that the Power Acoustic XP2K-652 6.5” 2-way slim mount speakers required only 1.75” of mounting depth and that the 15oz magnets would fit in the 5” opening. Still I would need to move the E brake pedal inboard approximately 1”. I removed the rear most mounting bolt & created a spacer to locate between the body & E mechanism. A longer bolt was then required to re-attach. I had the needed 1” but there was a lot of side play in the pedal and upon release wanted to return to the left. I placed a monkey wrench at the bottom of the brake pedal arm and lifted up and away toward the steering column. The arm moved a little but most importantly the play was reduced eliminating any conflict with the speaker.
      Creating the kick panels is fairly simple once you have some basic materials to work with. I did not want to cut up my OE panels so I copied them from flat plastic approximately 1/32 thick stock. I was able to recreate some of the contours by heating and applying pressure with shaped wood and clamps. This was the most tedious & time consuming part of the process. A lot of test fitting, trimming & reshaping. I could not recreate the U shape that covers the door opening. I acquired u-channel molding on-line but found later that a local RV center carries this.    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008663/c-10114/Nty-1/p-2008663/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10114/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=trim
For thickness I used two layers of dense closed cell foam described as Light Grey 3/8 thick glued together http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.htm?E+scstore
This was easy to work with. Outer detail I cut with a coping saw or a bare hacksaw blade. Shaping was accomplished using a small die grinder with small barrel sandpaper. You have to stop short the depth of the u-channel in the area where it is used.
Final finish is stretch vinyl attached with staple gun at bottom back, glued with spray adhesive & staple the perimeter on the back.  I discovered after making the passenger side that the trim ring for the speaker stuck out beyond the bevel I had created, I added a small bump out to accommodate. You will notice this looks better on the driver’s side as I added during the build rather than after.
I added nylon spacers where the speaker mounting screws go through the foam to maintain thickness. The speaker mounting screws, which I ran into the metal of the car, hold the panel in place. I did add a small screw at the rear-most inside of the u-channel, as it did not want to stay in place especially on the drivers side with the extra metal of the wiring cover located there. The aluminum threshold will cover this screw. The opening for the E brake arm to swing left too much metal showing so I added a small panel of plastic to the backside using spacers & short screws.
     If I were to do again I would like to explore a third layer of foam to give a more flush appearance and find vinyl to match the door panels.

I also enhanced the system by utilizing the original center dash speaker mount for two 3.75” piezo horn tweeters I had laying around. http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=840757/
From flat plastic I cut to match the shape of the original speaker. I then cut two openings for the tweeters. Due to depth I had to mount them as far to the left as possible.

QUESTIONS?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 - 01:20:12 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
Re: MADMAN looses all sense & creates kick panels for speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006 - 06:36:41 AM »
GREAT job "MadFabMan" !

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006 - 08:40:35 AM »
not too shabby - great way to preserve your OEM parts. Good job!   :thumbsup:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006 - 08:55:14 AM »
Nice job!   :thumbsup:   :ylsuper: 

Offline A110235

• '71 Challenger JH23G1B
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006 - 03:00:31 PM »
Wow man, that looks great!   :thumbsup:

Nashville, TN         Member since October 09, 2004

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006 - 04:02:36 PM »
Wow man, that looks great!   :thumbsup:

Yep,
   It looks GREAT. I'm wondering how it sounds? Are you happy with your efforts??   :dunno: It's tough getting great sound into these guys.  :bricks1: I pretty much just went with a single speaker in the dash that can't handle much, so I have most of the juice going to the two  beefy tri-way speakers I have in the back. I have a high powered amp, so I split the power so most of it is going to the rear speakers. It works for me, but does anyone have a sub-woofer crammed in anywhere???  :dunno: 4C does in his trunk, but I would like to keep as much of my trunk as I can.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006 - 05:27:21 PM »
How they sound is very good. Of course this is such a subjective thing & depends greatly on the total system. The two 6.5" will definitely sound better than the one 4x7 in the dash. I'm sure there are better quality speakers & definitely better amps than I am currently using. There is little to no box effect as the area behind the speakers are so limited. I rely on the 6x9s in the rear for base but the effect of all of the speakers when balanced is a plus. The teeters in the dash are incredible if you like highs like I do. Sorry no THUMPTHUMP here. A Sub in the trunk with extra power would accomplish if that's what you want.  :bigshades:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006 - 09:59:19 AM »
Very nice Bullit99. I always wanted something up there but didn't want to change cut anything either so I just put some mini 3.5" rockford fosgates in the 3 speaker dash holes. I had to hack some of the dash support frame to work the bigger magnets in though.

Mike,   I have a 1000 watt Sony Explode Legacy Amp, with a 10" dual coil sub screwed to the bottom of my center defroster vent.  I found a vent at a swap meet for 2 dollars and scooped it up.  It doesn't use a box but thumps out very nicely.  It's also hidden and can't be seen unless you bend over to look up.

I'll send up a pic after I get home. 
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006 - 10:44:12 AM »
I had to hack some of the dash support frame to work the bigger magnets in though.
What did you use to cut the frame? Was your windshield still in?  Were your gauges still in?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006 - 10:50:46 AM »
Windshield was still in, Rallye dash was still in. The easy way to do it cleany is to use a Dremel type grinder with a mini cut-off disk on it.  Just keep cutting till the magnet fits.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006 - 04:16:58 PM »

Mike,   I have a 1000 watt Sony Explode Legacy Amp, with a 10" dual coil sub screwed to the bottom of my center defroster vent.  I found a vent at a swap meet for 2 dollars and scooped it up.  It doesn't use a box but thumps out very nicely.  It's also hidden and can't be seen unless you bend over to look up.

I'll send up a pic after I get home. 

Rob,
  That sounds very creative.  :naughty: Maybe that's my ticket. With my tool box and spare parts in the trunk, there isn't much room for anything else.  :P

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006 - 06:30:40 PM »
Here Ya Go.....

I have a bass control knob on my console to control the thump.
Rob

Offline Robb

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006 - 10:54:43 PM »
anybody out there wanting to do Shelbydogg's 10" woofer install....    be sure to get a "free-air" type woofer.

Free-Air woofers have a stiffer suspension and can handle being trunk loaded like that.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler