Author Topic: What to do?? T/A Replica or R/T Big Block? Resale Value?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline EvilTwinATX

What to do?? T/A Replica or R/T Big Block? Resale Value?
« on: May 29, 2006 - 10:24:12 PM »
 :woohoo: Got the car in first coats of primer today.... :woohoo:
First of all... I know you all are going to ask this: The car is not #'s matching.. It is an original 318, B5 Blue, Auto, A/C car. I have a running 77 year block out of a truck I think with 452 heads... but it is not pretty. :( I currently have a lot of parts already but most would would for both a T/A clone or an R/T clone. Either way I can not afford to do a "TOTALLY CORRECT" restoration but instead would do most things - like move the antenna, exhaust, hood, and a built 340 without the six pack for a T/A. The R/T would be easier.

Performance is an issue and so is resale value...

Anyway, the car is basically a blank slate at this point - so I am trying to decide what direction to go with it.

Suggestions are appreciated...

Brent

Alaskan_TA

Re: What to do?? T/A Replica or R/T Big Block? Resale Value?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006 - 10:58:39 PM »
Well, it is your car, so do what you want.  :cheers:

That said, the T/A hood was an option on 1970 Challenger 340s and R/Ts after the T/As were introduced, so you could combine the look of both cars if your heart leads you that way.  The known examples had the antenna in the normal spot on the front fender for some reason. :wave:

T/Ake care,
Barry

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006 - 11:03:10 PM »
I Have the same dilema......I love the T/A's a lot, but I think I am just to add the Ralleye hood with the bumble bee stripe and scat pack decals in the 1/4 windows. T/a's require striping, 6-pack, spoilers (front and rear) and the hood.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006 - 11:16:27 PM »

That said, the T/A hood was an option on 1970 Challenger 340s and R/Ts after the T/As were introduced, so you could combine the look of both cars if your heart leads you that way.  The known examples had the antenna in the normal spot on the front fender for some reason.

I didnt know that..interesting. I guess I just want to make a good decision "the first time" instead of getting surprised if I ever decide to resell it. I find to often that a lot of guys Pro-Street their cars or otherwise over-customize them and then are screwed with resale value later on. Besides I LOVE the T/A - but BIG BLOCKS are all the rage these days. :money:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006 - 11:38:19 PM »
Big blocks fit great under the T/A hood.  :thumbsup:

Another possibility is this car, it likely started as  a 318 car based on the emblems, but it was one of the T/A prototypes or possibly a test mule? I have not seen a "tribute" car for it yet and the original has not surfaced so far.

(edit, forgot to resize image)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 - 08:22:05 AM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006 - 11:45:47 PM »
Another interesting suggestion... it seems a little plain though. Looks like all you would have to do is the exhaust and hood and call it a "tribute car." HA! What color was it?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006 - 11:47:56 PM »
I wish I knew. It also had a sunroof.  :thumbsup:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006 - 12:01:27 AM »
Another view. Note the sunroof and the early hood, it does not have the windshield washer squirters. It does have the triangular shape at the front of the hood on the midline. One of these hoods is known to exist, it is on El Hemi.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 - 08:23:00 AM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006 - 12:26:39 AM »
do they sell repop sunroof kits for e-bodies?

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006 - 12:47:17 AM »
Why do stock Challengers look like they have a "full diaper"?  What can be done without using air shocks to get the rear so it looks level with the rest of the car?

Rear Shackles?

Oh Ya, T/A's are nice!  But so are R/T's...  Can't go wrong with either.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006 - 03:40:33 AM »
Why do stock Challengers look like they have a "full diaper"?  What can be done without using air shocks to get the rear so it looks level with the rest of the car?

Rear Shackles?

Cody,
   You can get rear leaf springs that are arched a little more. Espo makes springs that will give you a one or two inch lift over stock height. That's what I did. It sure beats air-shocks.  :grinyes: http://springsnthings.com/

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006 - 05:44:36 AM »
The sunroof was done by American Sunroof company.  The unit is the same in the 70's Mopars.  For example the c-body New Yorker used the same roof as the Challenger and the dart.  It is not bad to replace if you are good at welding.  I do not know of any aftermarket.  Maybe you can still get one from American. Another option since your car will not be original anyway is to go with a unit out of a BMW ETC.  I have used the BMW unit and it looks great. It also is easy to get parts for and has the tilt option the Challengers did not have.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006 - 11:13:44 AM »
nah, just curious really.. I the top comes off my Supra, that is good enough.  :burnout:

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006 - 12:12:09 PM »
I would do an R/T with the T/A hood and would not worry about resale price. You may like the car so much that you will never sell it or if it looks sharp it will bring good money anyway. Main thing is to do what you like and enjoy it. Good luck.

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline Choppintime

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006 - 05:23:57 PM »
I had a real TX9 70 Challenger that was cloned into a TA. Car was loaded with options. I was going to put a small block stroker in it but decided against it when I found a real TA. Car looked MEAN with the triple black theme going on .

Here is a link to a picture of it, don't know how to post it here -

http://public.fotki.com/Honor74/1970_dodge_challeng/p7150019.html