Author Topic: Hemicuda in surgery  (Read 3839 times)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Hemicuda in surgery
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006 - 07:15:05 PM »
Here are some pics from Cooda!!  Looking good! Enjoy!   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006 - 10:36:15 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline hemiragtop

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006 - 03:56:42 PM »
loco: Thanks for your reply. I am getting all the rust work done right and the one rusty frame rail is being replaced with a real one. Then the paint is going to have just a little orange peel like original- no "foot deep" clearcoat. And he isn't even allowed to remove the door jamb VIN sticker, which is in perfect condition- he's going to paint around it, even if you can tell he did that. I did a Top Flight 67 Corvette, and the judging on them is Anal with a capital "A".

But since both the engine and trans have other VIN numbers stamped in them (trans is correctly dated, but motor is from a 71 Hemi-something), I wonder how important every bit of overspray and chalk marks are. Wouldn't somebody that anal want a numbers car? I have been told that non-matching (but with the correct letter in the VIN) is less important in Mopars than Corvettes. Of course GM never put a letter in the VIN to tell you what the original motor was, and there are plenty of counterfeit LS6 Chevelles and 427 '67 Corvettes floating around. (BTW, interesting article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machines about a counterfeit "R" 70 Cuda- the seller is being prosecuted in New York now).

I know I will take a hit for non-matching and another one for automatic. But I have the build sheet and everything to prove it is an original Hemi car. I need to educate myself on exactly how BJ operates- I have time before January.

Charles
It's obvious you just want to flip the car and that is okay with me, I personally think it probably turns off a lot of people on a Mopar board talking this way because IMO Barret Jackson hurt the hobby, but luckily for him their are plenty of rich people who have no idea what they are buying and in many cases buy junk from there. In regards to your Cuda, it sounds like a nice car and obviously does not have the correct motor, but IMO if you want to get the big money at Barrets you do have a few things working for you It is a Black Hemi Cuda, regardless wether it is an auto it is still a great car, I didn't bother reading the entire post so I'm not sure if it's a dana rear car if so that will help, but I think the one thing you should do is try to find a correct date coded 70 motor the 71 in the car could belong to an existing car and could be a great trading tool for a correct block or you can sell it for really big bucks to someone who needs it, I'm not trying to sound harsh but obviously you don't have much love for Mopars and you aren't that knowledgable about them so the money is your main concern, also to shoot off #'s like 500,000 if it had a #'s motor isn't reality, I'm sure it would bring good $  but most people who buy correct Hemi cars don't what for the circus at BJ mainly because there are a lot of polished pigs and fly by night Mopar guys  like you. p.s there are quite a few correct 4 speed Hemi Cuda's with paper work for sale currently that arent selling for  nearly that much(500K) 71's are whole other story. Good Luck with your sale,  unlike others I dont mind that mopars are so expensive, It bothers me however that GM guys like you are now getting into Mopars just to make a quick buck and shoot off crazy#'s to how much a car is worth.  The quicker you sell the Cuda the quicker you will be out of Mopars..............................I hope.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006 - 04:09:49 PM by hemiragtop »

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006 - 08:32:56 PM »

He's had the car 11 years. He did say he wanted to get a 440 Challenger after all was said and done with this hemicuda.  Best intentions aside, I think doing a correct restoration is what the car deserves, not a quickie in time for B-J to flip it off. With time and patience, you might uncover the original motor and reunite it with the car. If GM lights your fire, so what? We have others here on the board who wouldn't admit as much as cooda has.

Still piece by piece our advice here on the board HAS to end up being all good for that black hemicuda...

BTW Hemmings Muscle Machines is a G-R-E-A-T magazine, my current favorite.  :thumbsup: I suggest any of you to pick an issue up and check it out. The content and writing style really does it for me. Last month was heavy on Mopars, but it covers a great variety of muscle cars, old and new. I actually jump up in the air when I get an new issue in the mail.  :bigsmile:

David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD