Author Topic: Hemicuda in surgery  (Read 3844 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: Hemicuda in surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006 - 01:28:53 PM »
I would do what you are doing If i had the luck of buying a hemicuda for 23k,Going going gone.....and you laughing all way to the bank.One day prices will crash,remember what goes up always comes down,maybe when gas hits 20 bucks a gallon.I would rather buy a 440+6 as well and fatten my retirement savings,heck I'd probably but a Dart GTS also and a couple of others,whatever you buy,find numbers cars,the long term value will keep better than non numbers.FOr that kind of car I would be really really tempted to have a 70 Challenger R/t 440+6 and a 70 Cuda 440+6 in my garage,Now that would be cool to have those Sista's in your garage and have plenty left over
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006 - 01:33:02 PM »
The only thing I see crashing the market is if we all have to go to E-85 fuel in the future. Alot of people might not want to go thru the pains of retro-fitting their old muscle car. Other than that, I don't see the market crashing for any other reason. There are few of these old Mopars compared too Fords, and GM models. Supply and demand.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006 - 03:54:42 PM »
The only thing I see crashing the market is if we all have to go to E-85 fuel in the future. Alot of people might not want to go thru the pains of retro-fitting their old muscle car. Other than that, I don't see the market crashing for any other reason. There are few of these old Mopars compared too Fords, and GM models. Supply and demand.

Mike
Famous Last Words,lol
Remember the Term "Black Tuesday"?
The terroists now have a bomb that can nock out electricity in the whole United States and render us back into the old west for months or years if ever deployed.If that happens I could trade my horse for a 6 pack of 6 packs,lol,but i wouldnt,I'll just trott on by the Hemi-Cuda verts sitting by the side of the Road.Or maybe you havent been reading the papers?They are all trying to ruin our way of life,may not be tomorrow or the next day but could be another terrorist attack any time.I'm sorry for the rant and my alarmest message but usually when all things look hunky dory is when things tend to go Awry."Dont shoot the messanger" :chatting: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006 - 04:35:22 PM »

BTW - hemi71, aren't you selling your black Cuda right now on moparts?  Promise me you won't buy a Corvette with the money!

Hell will freeze over before you see me in a vette. BTW, I listed the Cuda here first, and I'm willing to consider MOPAR trades as i say in the ads. Dont see where i said I'd consider a vette. I cant imagine there will ever be a time when i wont own a old Mopar. Next mopar for me will be #94, never been in it for the $$, just the experience of owning the cars.

If you read the initial post, never in there does he say he's going to cash in and get a lesser value mopar. Just says he does not want to keep it period. I think if he said in the initial post he was going to buy a 440-6 car and pocket the $$ diff, the reaction would have been a lot tamer.

With 4 brand X cars and 1 Mopar, he hardly bleeds Mopar. Just stating the obvious.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006 - 07:23:09 PM »
MARK MY WORDS.... The viper is the best bet in Mopars today.  Go buy a Gen 2 GTS for $35 to $45K and drive the piss out of it.  In 15 years see what it's worth.  I'm telling you it will be a free car.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006 - 07:46:22 PM »
Cody,

I was talking at length with a guy who's owned a few vipers, sold a GTS-ACR last year. He's had some serious cars, and said the ACR GTS was the scariest fast car he's ever owned, without a doubt. He was givin me some tips on what to buy. If you know of a low mileage (under 15K miles) GTS with the optional stripes for sale, let me know.

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006 - 07:47:05 PM »
.If that happens I could trade my horse for a 6 pack of 6 packs,lol,but i wouldnt,I'll just trott on by the Hemi-Cuda verts sitting by the side of the Road
I think Id rather take the hemicudas.
Because, most of the modern cars (with all their computers etc.) would be stuffed, which means theres less cars on the road which means more fuel for me ;)

Havnt you ever seen mad max?

Offline cooda

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006 - 07:55:40 PM »
hemi71: You are right- Mopar is not a religion to me- I just liked the looks of the ones from the late 60's and early 70's, so I bought one when they were a little cheaper. I still like them and want another one.

I won't apologize for liking Corvettes too, and if the Hemicuda does well at the auction, I may very well get an '06 500 horse Z-06 to park next to a 440 powered E-body. Dodge Viper looks great, but don't think they are better than a Z-06, and a little more expensive. No other new Dodge passenger car does anything for me, including that 4 door Charger. Trucks look good, but I don't need a truck. Now if they put the new Hemi in the '08 Challenger and make it look like the prototype- now you're talking!!

Comparison to the tulip bulb craze- that is an excellent comparison. I agree that there is not a logical reason these cars should bring a half a mil, but if I could sell it for that, why not? Kind of like the dot.com stock mania of the late 90's when the stock market bubble had people paying $150 a share for internet related companies that were not even making a profit. The muscle Mopar mania will come back to earth eventually- I am not exactly sure when. But I can't think of a single good reason not to take my profit now, assuming the market holds up till next January.

Charles

70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006 - 08:25:33 PM »
If you go to BJ, make sure you understand what it costs to put it in the auction and how much BJ's cut is (they take a good size chunk of your earnings).  Also the only way you will get "big money" (of the $500K type) is if the car is sold on Saturday Night.  In order for this to happen you have to make sure your resto is done right back to factory specs with all the paint overspay, chalk marks, etc. 

Good Luck to you, and if you decide to go the BJ Arizona route, let us know, I will definitely be cheering for you.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline cooda

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006 - 08:52:04 PM »
loco: Thanks for your reply. I am getting all the rust work done right and the one rusty frame rail is being replaced with a real one. Then the paint is going to have just a little orange peel like original- no "foot deep" clearcoat. And he isn't even allowed to remove the door jamb VIN sticker, which is in perfect condition- he's going to paint around it, even if you can tell he did that. I did a Top Flight 67 Corvette, and the judging on them is Anal with a capital "A".

But since both the engine and trans have other VIN numbers stamped in them (trans is correctly dated, but motor is from a 71 Hemi-something), I wonder how important every bit of overspray and chalk marks are. Wouldn't somebody that anal want a numbers car? I have been told that non-matching (but with the correct letter in the VIN) is less important in Mopars than Corvettes. Of course GM never put a letter in the VIN to tell you what the original motor was, and there are plenty of counterfeit LS6 Chevelles and 427 '67 Corvettes floating around. (BTW, interesting article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machines about a counterfeit "R" 70 Cuda- the seller is being prosecuted in New York now).

I know I will take a hit for non-matching and another one for automatic. But I have the build sheet and everything to prove it is an original Hemi car. I need to educate myself on exactly how BJ operates- I have time before January.

Charles
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006 - 09:23:57 PM »
Cooda, yeah, do your research.  I hear what you are saying about the non-numbers drive train, it is hard to say how much that will hurt the value.  It really depends on who is there the night it rolls across the stage, how bad they want it, how much they are trying to impress everybody, and how drunk they are.  But as a point of reference the black 71 Hemi Cuda that sold last year for $600k was a rebody.  The car was in a fire so they cut out the body number stampings, vin tags, engine and tranny and put it in another car and called it a 71 Hemi Cuda.  In my book that is not really a numbers matching car but someone paid big bucks, so who knows, there are a lot of variables when it comes to the Arizona BJ auction.  The one thing I do know is that you really need to have your car roll across the stage on Saturday evening to get the deep pocket guys to bid on it.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006 - 09:28:57 PM »
The muscle Mopar mania will come back to earth eventually- I am not exactly sure when. But I can't think of a single good reason not to take my profit now, assuming the market holds up till next January.

Charles

I agree they will come down one day and am waiting for it,But they will never be as cheap as most Chevy's or Fords because there is A LOT less left,or were made for that matter,supply and demand.When you look at the Classified section of your local newspaper,you will see on a daily basis 100 to 1 Chevy's and Fords for sale versus mopar.You can see an early mustang on every street corner.I am keeping my eye out for a 70 Chevelle SS  LS6(Sold it in 1985 for 3k,lol)since its was my first car in High School.I bleed mopar blue but do like some others as well.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006 - 06:10:11 AM »
 :dunno: I guess my demise is that financially speaking I've always been from the "wrong side of the tracks" and for that I'm not complaining one bit, I've been a happy down home boy who has super appreciated everything I've had. Just getting something better or bigger is not apart of my mindset. For instance to me a house is primarily a place to sleep and eat, it has a purpose and ours is doing a fine job. Same with our drivers, as cars go they get us from point
A  to point  B   just fine. BUT when it comes to the old Mopars they are just in another "world" for me. I know the kind of Mopars that are being discussed in this thread will never be within my financial reach, but I supect even if they were and I knew I could buy another one any time I wished, ................well, I would probably buy, but I doubt most reverently and seriously iif I would ever sell. If I didn't want it to keep, I wouldn't buy it to begin with.

Just because others think differently than me is not a problem with me, I just couldn't do that no matter what. One day my Mopars will be sold, but I won't be around to witness it. In fact I'd rather give them to someone who would appreciate and care for them over selling them to someone who would just "flip" them or tear them up or turn them into some "freak" of cardom, ie: rice / bling pos. As I said eariler , either way good luck. - Jim
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006 - 06:40:34 AM »
The car will probably not be ready by BJ . The car has to be ready weeks/months before the auction so it can be photoed for their catalog. Assuming its not a hack job resto, count on 12 to 24 months to do the job right.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006 - 09:36:21 AM »
:dunno: I guess my demise is that financially speaking I've always been from the "wrong side of the tracks" and for that I'm not complaining one bit, I've been a happy down home boy who has super appreciated everything I've had. Just getting something better or bigger is not apart of my mindset. For instance to me a house is primarily a place to sleep and eat, it has a purpose and ours is doing a fine job. Same with our drivers, as cars go they get us from point
A  to point  B   just fine. BUT when it comes to the old Mopars they are just in another "world" for me. I know the kind of Mopars that are being discussed in this thread will never be within my financial reach, but I supect even if they were and I knew I could buy another one any time I wished, ................well, I would probably buy, but I doubt most reverently and seriously iif I would ever sell. If I didn't want it to keep, I wouldn't buy it to begin with.

Just because others think differently than me is not a problem with me, I just couldn't do that no matter what. One day my Mopars will be sold, but I won't be around to witness it. In fact I'd rather give them to someone who would appreciate and care for them over selling them to someone who would just "flip" them or tear them up or turn them into some "freak" of cardom, ie: rice / bling pos. As I said eariler , either way good luck. - Jim
We both think the same way.While I could strap myself financially to buy a restored 6 pack car(never could afford a hemi in todays prices.(well I could if i hocked my house/property with a second mortguage)Not something I would ever do,the prices these cars are grabbing just isnt worth it to me.I love the hobby and all mopars but as i stated they arent worth to me the prices of today.I try and live financially way below my means,I could buy a bigger house,more land,more cars but chose not to,I dont want to be financially married to an inatimate object that could be totalled by an act of nature or some ricer plowing into me.When they become nothing more than something to look at in my shop,they become useless to me,they should be driven to show others how cool these mopars(any mopar)really are.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3