Eddie vs Holley - Daily Driven/Track

Author Topic: Eddie vs Holley - Daily Driven/Track  (Read 1895 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Eddie vs Holley - Daily Driven/Track
« on: June 04, 2006 - 03:05:55 PM »
I have a 650cfm Thunder AVS Edelbrock carb on my teen. Haven't had any issues with it daily driving it for about a year now. At the track, I'm not quite getting the hole shot i think i should be, I'm looking at some other things but a Holley 650 D/P is one of them.

Anyone ever swap one from a Edelbrock/Carter? I've heard a couple guys stick up for the Eddie...but wayyy too many say I should swap for the Holley and I won't ever look back. I have a friend that will loan me a 650 d/p to see how i like it, just curious on your guys experiences. I would probably try to drive it daily if i could, or i guess i could keep a holley as a track carb and just swap it for that if it becomes to finicky.

Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Eddie vs Holley - Daily Driven/Track
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006 - 03:14:40 PM »
Mike,

My first question is, will both carbs. fit on the same intake? I'm thinking not, but I'm not totally sure here.  :clueless: I think we might be dealing with spread-bore vs. square-bore here. I hope I'm wrong. In any event, the double-pumper is amazing. I think on the strip, that is the way to go. 650 wouldn't be too big for your engine, and you can drive it on the street. Seriously, as long as you don't get on it, you are only working on the primaries, and gas mileage won't suffer.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006 - 04:31:26 PM »
Mike,

My first question is, will both carbs. fit on the same intake? I'm thinking not, but I'm not totally sure here.  :clueless: I think we might be dealing with spread-bore vs. square-bore here. I hope I'm wrong. In any event, the double-pumper is amazing. I think on the strip, that is the way to go. 650 wouldn't be too big for your engine, and you can drive it on the street. Seriously, as long as you don't get on it, you are only working on the primaries, and gas mileage won't suffer.

Mike

Both are sqaure bore, gotta gimme a little more credit than that  :dogpile: and you said keeping my foot out of it? whats that?  :burnout:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006 - 04:41:41 PM »
OK, beat me up.  :bricks1:

I think the double-pumper will help you out at the track in any case. I have one on my car. No complaints here, and I don't take mine to the track.  :burnout:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006 - 05:19:55 PM »
OK, beat me up.  :bricks1:

I think the double-pumper will help you out at the track in any case. I have one on my car. No complaints here, and I don't take mine to the track.  :burnout:

Mike

Ah no beating up, all in good fun  :cheers:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Oldschool

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006 - 05:27:21 PM »
Goody,   go with the 650-dp and with some tuning for crisp off idle response, you will love it.  When you get the Holley set up for your car, your 60' times should reflect an improvement.  Good luck, and as always, keep us informed......   :cheers:    ....Oldschool

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006 - 05:45:29 PM »
Goody,   go with the 650-dp and with some tuning for crisp off idle response, you will love it.  When you get the Holley set up for your car, your 60' times should reflect an improvement.  Good luck, and as always, keep us informed......   :cheers:    ....Oldschool

Looks like i got it setup for wednesday night we're gonna try it at the track, that is if i have everything i need to swap over..hopefully i do  :misbehaving:. I think ill see an improvement for now, but really when i get the new converter which should flash about 4000rpm  :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006 - 06:53:12 PM »
I don`t have alot of experience with the Carter/Edlebrock but the biggest + with a Holley is tuning it to your combo.It takes some time but once you get everything all setup it really wakes up your engine.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006 - 08:10:31 PM »
I would think the Holley would make more power but with your small cubinc inches a vaccum secondary might be a better choice than a DP.

My 2¢
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006 - 08:40:57 PM »
I have never been able to get good power or response from a Eddy/ Carter , I have seen as much as 40 hp gains dyno proven using Holley carbs so guess what I would choose

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006 - 09:45:36 PM »
 Your love the throttle response of the DP. Just take your time and get the carb tuned right and it will work fine on your daily driver, and you'll love it on the track.

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Robb

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006 - 11:18:32 PM »
Just take your time and get the carb tuned right.

:iagree:
and this is critical.  To tune it right, its more than just the idle screws, little plastic cams and of course jets. 

The Shooters for me seemed to be where I could make the biggest improvements/changes in throttle response.  Having a good selection of the shooters gets to be expensive if you dont have a set sitting around already, as you experiment

Keep having fun Goody !

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006 - 02:25:19 AM »
Well i ran the holley for 1 pass and quickly put the eddie back on.

Eddie was running consistant 14.6s, which is worse than my best of 14.3...but thats beside the point. The holley that ran good on my friends 360 ran a 16.2. I think i took a nap on that pass..yea, we might have gotten a little better if we tinkered with it...but taking about 2full seconds off ain't happenin...so yea, the 650d/p was way, way toomuch.  :clueless:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006 - 09:04:30 AM »

Eddie was running consistant 14.6s, which is worse than my best of 14.3...but thats beside the point. The holley that ran good on my friends 360 ran a 16.2. I think i took a nap on that pass..yea, we might have gotten a little better if we tinkered with it...but taking about 2full seconds off ain't happenin...so yea, the 650d/p was way, way toomuch.  :clueless:
That was my initial thought when started reading this post.I dont like DP's personally But i never have raced.In street form they seem to not work as good off the line as a vaccum secondary carb.The DP can flood the engine,but maybe i havent tuned the DP right as some have stated need to be done.I still prefer the Vacuum secondaries carb.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Oldschool

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006 - 07:57:09 PM »

Goody,   You have been working/tuning your eddie for quite some time.  This has given you plenty of time to get it dialed in to what your engine wants.  There was a very slight chance that dropping a Holley on it with zero tuning for your engine would show any performance gains.  It worked out about like I would have expected.  This is comparing apples to orranges.  If you had done the same switch in reverse--Holley-to-Eddie--you would have seen similar numbers.  The "trick" is in the tuning.  Both are good carbs, but it has been my experience that the Holley is more tunable for performance under a variety of conditions.  See if you can borrow the Holley and log in the settings he had it set up with. (so it will be exactly the same when you return it to him). Then get some performance tuning parts for it and start tuning the Holley.  I believe that with a logical, 1 or 2 changes at a time, you will see the Holley gain on and eventually outperform the Eddie.  Just my 0.002.........   Good luck with whatever carb you are running and I hope you win em all..........    :cooldancing: