Author Topic: DaimlerChrysler = Smart car ? or Silly Car ?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Robb

DaimlerChrysler = Smart car ? or Silly Car ?
« on: June 04, 2006 - 11:07:32 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060604/bs_nm/auto_daimlerchrysler_dc

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE) is leaning toward launching its Smart minicar in the United States, DaimlerChrysler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche said in a newspaper interview on Sunday.

"At the moment, the tendency is clearly positive," Zetsche said in an interview with Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.

A final decision on whether to sell the car in the United States will be taken this month, he said.

Zetsche repeated that he expected the loss-making Smart unit to turn a profit in 2007.

Have any of you "guys" seen or heard of the "Smart Car" ?

I had the opportunity to spend most of this Winter and Fall in Germany and I got to see alot of these on the road, and I can tell you....   they just aint gonna work here in America.   :bricks1:  :screwy:  They arent much bigger than a fancy golf cart and have almost no luggage/grocery capability.  As an American in Europe, these cars looked absolutely silly.

Their greatest value is that on the narrow streets in Europe, where you otherwise have to park parallel, the Smart car, because it is so short and narrow, can fit in the parallel spots, perpendicularly. (  = 2 cars in one spot )

There are a couple of different versions and about the only one that looks 1/2 way near normal was the roadster.

This should be an interesting marketing plan/ad campaign at the very least....

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Re: DaimlerChrysler = Smart car ? or Silly Car ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006 - 11:11:31 PM »
I see quite alot of them - horrible things.

Not particularly safe either, not only could most SUVs run one of those over, but your feet are directly behind the front bumper, so if you happen to be in a head on crash, bye bye toes (and feet too)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006 - 11:20:32 PM »
1000s of them in Canaduh, kids flip them over for kicks , I would never take one on a highway I cannot see them being safe in a crosswind or in a draft as a Semi blows by , probably works ok as a city commuter , a jetta by comparison gets better fuel milage + has room for 4 people & can be safely driven on a highway 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 - 09:15:50 AM »
If I lived and worked and played in the big city, then I might look into something like that.  But I don't, so I won't......................   :bigshades: 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 - 11:47:21 AM »
Saw them (and almost worked on a program for them) when I lived in Detroit. I think the market for these are the same people who buy Segways, except that they need a place to put a bag of groceries. More power to them (or less power, as the case may be). I doubt that the people who buy these will ever think about taking them on a highway  :sleeping:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline JRoss22

• Member Since 05/08/2005
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 - 12:13:27 PM »
If there werent all those "Mall Crawlers" around I would say that the Smart car would make a good first car for most driver when they are learning... But then again I wouldnt realy feel to safe in that car.. and not enough power for my liking....

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006 - 12:28:37 PM »
When I was in France, I got to see a lot of those also.  But the really big suprise was about three months ago, I saw one on I-35 in Kansas City.  I did a double take and my buddy I was with had never seen one.  He was totally amused by it.  It had Canadian plates, so definitly not sold in the USA.   :screwy:

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006 - 12:46:51 PM »
no different than a a motorcycle w/ training wheels. Although the semi blowing by could be kinda hairy. I would def cruise around in that thing on the counrty roads.. as long as it could get out of its own way.

Maybe it could evolve into having a trunk to put stuff and maybe another seat so a passenger could also ride along. And,.. maybe put the engine in the front w/ a firewall. make it a little bigger for saftey reasons.. 

Hey, wait a MINUTE.. that would be a CAR!!   :dupe:

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006 - 02:51:27 PM »
altho I don't like them, my best friend has one.  He's about 5'3, so it is funnyto see, but I'm 6'2", and fit comfortably in it.  Also, even for a mini 2 seater, there IS some decent storage room in the back, surprisingly.  We fit a computer tower, large monitor and a collapsible table in his last year.  It gets AMAZING fuel mileage (compared to his full size Ford Explorer) and since he lives in the country, and works downtown, mileage is important.  He went from over $500 a month in the Explorer, to $80 amonth with the Smart car...altho the dealership SCREWS you in oil changes.  $300!!!
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006 - 03:12:00 PM »
Mercedes sells them here in Canada. they can't keep them in stock. Of course we pay 5 bucks for a gallon of gas

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006 - 07:13:16 PM »
Just found this (Yes I know its an old topic but I didnt want to start a new one)

http://www.smartsrus.com/interceptor.htm

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006 - 06:28:46 PM »
Just in case anyone was thinking of purchasing on of these pregnant roller skates..............

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline bordin34

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006 - 08:03:05 PM »
I saw one a couple weeks ago they are as big as a golf cart. It had red targets all over it. It may be a Target store car or a highway crash test.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006 - 09:26:59 PM »
Just found this (Yes I know its an old topic but I didnt want to start a new one)

http://www.smartsrus.com/interceptor.htm

It's so small I must've missed seeing that in the beginning chase scene with the Night Rider!  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006 - 04:36:19 AM »
The Segway was touted as something that would replace cars as transportation in citys.I have seen maybe two of them in downtown Manchester and they biuld them locally.The smart car will be the same thing,very few people will give up thier nice cars far something only usefull as a commuter.If I want 40-50 mpg I`ll just ride my motorcycle to work.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi