Author Topic: Challenger Mirrors  (Read 1429 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Challenger Mirrors
« on: June 06, 2006 - 07:03:51 AM »
Can anybody point me in the direction of reference material for Challenger mirrors? Roughly, I'm trying to figure out how many different designs were offered.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Re: Challenger Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 - 09:16:24 AM »
this is one place I found for the 70
http://home.earthlink.net/~challengerworld/70info.html

MIRRORS
There were many different mirrors used on the 70 Challenger. The 70 Challenger Mirrors are the hardest to find because they were never used on another model. In 71-74 they could interchange with the B-Bodies. The standard mirror that was on the Challenger (which is actually kind a rare!) is the non remote chrome mirror part number 2999553. Most Challenger buyers paid the extra for the remote racing mirrors. These could either be chrome or painted body color. The chrome one is listed as part number 2999549, and the body painted race mirror PN 3548053. You could also order a right hand mirror. This mirror is very expensive! The prices range anywhere from $150-$300 for a mirror! Sometimes the mirror is in very bad shape for this price! The right hand mirror could be ordered in chrome or body painted. This is a hand adjusted mirror, not a remote! The chrome right hand mirror lists as PN 3508989 and the painted one lists as PN 3508990. You can tell the difference between the 70 and 71-74 by looking at the base. If the base is small and rectangular it is a 70. If not it is a different one.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 - 09:40:52 AM »
repops are avail at pgclassic.com. But I dont know how the quality of the mirrors is... I have heard different things from different people.

Brent

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 - 09:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the info. Confused about this, though:

The right hand mirror could be ordered in chrome or body painted. This is a hand adjusted mirror, not a remote! The chrome right hand mirror lists as PN 3508989 and the painted one lists as PN 3508990.

Does this mean that there were no remote right hand mirrors? I could swear I've seen them. Matter of fact, I could swear I have a set somehwere. Are they from another model?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 - 03:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. Confused about this, though:

Does this mean that there were no remote right hand mirrors? I could swear I've seen them. Matter of fact, I could swear I have a set somehwere. Are they from another model?

NO right hand remote mirrors on E-bodies. In the mid 70's, they started putting them on other cars. The head of those mirrors looks like an E-body mirror, but the base screws are inside the door, as opposed to the E-bodies being mounted by 2 scews on the outside. I think some people just retro-fitted the mirrors you saw.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 - 04:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006 - 09:32:48 PM »
I went digging through all the boxes of parts I brought back from the last foray to my various storage areas and found a set of mirrors. Nothing on them looks like a regular MoPar part number, though there are lots of numbers of various lengths all over. Can anyone give me an idea of which of these numbers would be the part number so I can figure out what I actually have?

- Han Solo, Star Wars