Author Topic: purchasing the 1ST HEMI Challenger ever made...  (Read 7498 times)

Offline DAYTONA

purchasing the 1ST HEMI Challenger ever made...
« on: June 11, 2006 - 07:32:02 AM »
another one of my 'FLASHBACK' articles....just sitting here in 'the home' remembering the good old days :roflsmiley:

late 1988....

...I had a several people wanting to buy my '69 Dodge Daytona, but it just wasn't for sale.....I didn't have anything I wanted to replace it with soooooo....

...I was restoring a Panther Pink Challenger T/A  and found a pair of NOS front fenders for sale in the Winged Warrior Newsletter, so off I go to Cleveland Ohio to buy them....

...when I arrived at the guys garage to pick up the fenders he had a red Challenger partially covered sitting on one side of the garage....I made a few inquiries and found out it was a HEMI RT/SE.....he showed me the car and I was dumbfounded, it was the most perfect and beautiful Challenger I had ever laid eyes on....he wanted to sell it, the price was a firm $48K....I didn't have the money to make the deal work, but I did have lots of people expressing interest in purchasing the Daytona....in short, I soon sold the Daytona for $46,900. and bought the HEMI Challenger RT/SE....when I went to pick up the car he told me he thought it might even be the 1st one made, but I didn't really know what to think about the comment.....paid the guy his money, loaded the car on an open trailer for the 4 hour trip back to Indiana....well, the weather changed about half way home from a sunny 50 degree day, to a blinding ice/sleet and snow storm.....it took 10 hours of gut wrenching driving to make the 4 hour trip home....remember Gilligan ???

...we got the HEMI home safely and thawed her out....there she was, the most beautiful car I had ever laid eyes on....the VIN# was JS29R0B100015, I assumed it was the 15th Challenger, and maybe, just maybe the first HEMI....a few weeks later I was going thru some old magazines and found a Car and Driver Magazine from Nov 1969 that had an article about the new 1970 HEMI Challenger, and it was my car they used in for the article....

after extensive research, I found out the first 12 VINs were assigned to Barracudas(HEMICUDA #100003 belongs to a friend of mine) and the Challengers started with #13....I found #13 ( a white 318 conv.) while at the MOPAR Nats, it belonged to a guy and it was so horribly rusted he didn't know if it could ever be restored(I've never seen it since).....#14, I never did find out any info about, so that leaves #15, my HEMI RT/SE......it was the only HEMI RT/SE manufactured(build date of 801) before the magazine deadline, so it had to be the same car as the Car and Driver Challenger(the writer hated the car by the way)...

I kept the car for nearly a decade before tiring of it and selling all the MOPARS I had left in my little collection...It was in numerous MOPAR and musclecar magazines, books, and was even used in the set of MOPAR Cards about 15 years ago(remember those)....it was very well publicized during the years in my possession...do I miss it, no, not really.....my interests changed to Vipers and I have had a long string of them too, Prowlers and Vettes have also come and gone in great quantities....but I did just buy another T/A a few days ago, the itch it still there sometimes...

ps...the green Daytona went to Mason Dixon in Tampa Florida and he kept it for about 10 years and it now resides in the Cleveland area...the Pink T/A was sold before the restoration was finished....it has since been finished, judged and quietly resides in a garage about 10 miles from my house(he also has a perfect Yelo 6 Pak SuperBird)....the HEMI Challenger RT/SE is still in the possession of the guy I sold it to and I think he has moved back to Michigan after living in Pawley Island, SC for several years...it still looks and drives as perfect as that Christmas day in 1988 when I brought her home to Indiana...

the FIRST HEMI Challenger RT/SE ever made.....JS29R0B100015...I drove it on the street quite often, but with the lack of stripes it never really got much attention till I set the H60 Polyglas on fire....

Offline uthustler

Re: purchasing the 1ST HEMI Challenger ever made...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:34:41 AM »
nice car.

whats it like driving a hemi?

with straight headers, no mufflers on a hemi, is the hemi distinguishable sound wise idling?

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:35:31 AM »
the HEMI and its roomie at that time, a 71 340 CUDA conv.....

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:38:29 AM »
nice car.

whats it like driving a hemi?

with straight headers, no mufflers on a hemi, is the hemi distinguishable sound wise idling?

the HEMI seemed nose heavy, but in a straight line, the power was intoxicating to say the least....once you hear a HEMI, you will always remember the sound, exhausts or open headers.....THEY SOUND DIFFERENT

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:42:15 AM »
I love the R/T SE cars , few were Hemis , was it 4 spd or slush box ?
 Awesome Car BTW  Hemis do have their own sound
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 - 07:44:49 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:50:16 AM »
I love the R/T SE cars , few were Hemis , was it 4 spd or slush box ?
 Awesome Car BTW  Hemis do have their own sound

best I remember, there were 60 HEMI Challengers built with the RT/SE option...37 automatics and 23 4-spds......mine was a 1 of 37 automatic...

people would ask/beg to hear the car idle at car shows......many people have just really never heard one run...let alone driven one...

Offline uthustler

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006 - 07:52:03 AM »
Im one of those people. Trying to decide what motor to put into my Cuda once I find one to restore. Considering the hemi crate motors. Always wanted to hear one, drive one, think it would be a cool cuda-recreation powerplant.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006 - 08:00:51 AM »
Im one of those people. Trying to decide what motor to put into my Cuda once I find one to restore. Considering the hemi crate motors. Always wanted to hear one, drive one, think it would be a cool cuda-recreation powerplant.

I have owned Challengers/CUDAs with every engine combo except the 6 cyl......my favorite is the 340 6PAK.....

HEMI...great to show, nose heavy and sucks fuel like you own a refinery...the HEMI Challenger I owned was the only car I have ever owned that you really could see the gas gauge move while driving down the interstate....

440 6PAK...better than the HEMI, better fuel conservation, usually faster if the carbs are tuned in

440/383.....nice driving

340 6PAK.....show appeal, good performance and handling in one package.....feels right for the car....

Offline uthustler

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006 - 08:09:25 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Tell me, for a cruiser, 1 weekend a month at the track with buddies, what motor would you enjoy most?

340-6pk

440-6pk

or the hemi?

What real differences could you tell between the 440-6 and the 340-6? driving wise, feel, etc.

Offline common 27

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006 - 08:59:43 AM »
Never got much attention? what kind of bizarro world were you in?That is one of the best looking Challengers I've ever seen! Love the car!
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

cudahob

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006 - 09:10:44 AM »
You might be right, but I think the Diamante is the first Hemi Challenger made.

Don't have time to check... I'm late for a car show.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 - 09:13:21 AM by cudahob »

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006 - 01:15:46 PM »
Cool story Larry, I agree on the 340-6 being the best "all around" engine in a Challenger as well.  :thumbsup:

The Yellow Jacket / Diamante was the first Hemi Challenger Convertible made, the VIN is JS27R0B100022, a few after the earliest Hemi Challenger hardtop.  ;)

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006 - 02:20:12 PM »
Cool story Larry, I agree on the 340-6 being the best "all around" engine in a Challenger as well.  :thumbsup:

The Yellow Jacket / Diamante was the first Hemi Challenger Convertible made, the VIN is JS27R0B100022, a few after the earliest Hemi Challenger hardtop.  ;)

I knew mine was made before the Diamante, but I couldn't remember the vin on that car.....I did find the first(probably) 440-6 PAK pilot Challenger.......it was a Yelo/blk/blk RT with a vin# of JS23VOB100019.....that car, it seems has also disappeared from the face of the earth

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006 - 03:07:03 PM »
#s are corrtect as far as I know , I have always heard 23 4 spds & 37 autos built

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006 - 05:31:17 PM »
Dang Daytona, u have owned some amazing cars in your day. Lucky you. I just love all the cool car stories you have.  :thumbsup: