Author Topic: When white isnt white  (Read 4339 times)

RedLine

When white isnt white
« on: June 13, 2006 - 01:51:31 PM »
We could use some advice from our friends here on the topic of "Chrysler White Vinyl".  When I contacted the supplier to place the order, I was told that you could not order a white interior for a 1974 Duster.  The supplier has a legendary reputation for quality and accuracy so I beleive them.  They dont stock seat covers in colors other than what is correct for a given make and year.  They did inform me that white was offered on earlier year Dusters, like 73 or 72.  For a little more money they could do a custom job, and use the earlier year vinyl on the 1974 seat pattern.  Great!  We approved and paid. 

Apparently what we purchased is known as Chrysler 200 White, the only Chrysler white vinyl available.  I am told emphatically that what we received is the "correct" White.  But unfortunatly it is quite creamy especially against other whites. see picture below taken today under an overcast sky) I understand the difference between white and off-white, but this seems to have a beige tint to it.  Well, in any case, we are sure we have seen whiter vinyl seats on other Mopars especially Challengers and Cuda's -- we were just at a show saturday night and saw a red chally convertible with a white steering wheel similar to Pixie's and I was noticing how well the interior and seats matched.  Then I look at the calendar on the wall -- look at JS27NOB's gorgeous Challenger this month-- I couldnt imagine the seats we have looking "correct" in there.   The supplier insists that if the material in a vehicle is correct, it is exactly what we have.   We are having a hard time resolving that.  Im now wondering if what we have is really "200 White" or another color.   Anyone have white seat experience that can provide assistance??

Offline EvilTwinATX

Re: When white isnt white
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006 - 03:00:36 PM »
 :villagers: Would this mfg just agree to do an RMA and make one's in real WHITE vinyl? I dont think those would look very good on the pixie duster, even if it was "correct".

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006 - 03:30:08 PM »
They look creme color to me also. I'm not sure what is correct for a 74 duster but If I were doing a white interior I don't think I would be happy with those. I didn't even like the Original white paint for 73-74, it had the same creme apperance so I had my car painted with a 2001 white. Here is the best pic I could find for my 73 Chally with white interior. Let me know if you need a better pic.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006 - 04:45:56 PM by Rev-It-Up »
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

RedLine

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006 - 04:42:56 PM »
Unfortunately I already tried the "please take it back and make me a new set in the white I want"  That wasnt allowed -  1) custom orders are not returnable.  Plus they only do "correct for the car".  2)  Its my fault, I didnt even think about how many colors of white there are, and I didnt ask for samples, didn't check eveything in detail when I received the box last fall,  I just pulled one of the pieces out of the box a little bit-- and looked at it briefly and it looked fine to me (in the fading light of evening) now that we are tuning our attention to it, its way too late to force a return.   Im stuck with $500 of perfectly made vinyl - two back pieces for a rear bench and 4 pieces for front buckets.   I believe our only course of action is :ebay:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006 - 04:45:33 PM by RedLine »

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006 - 06:12:19 PM »
The material used for 1970 white E-body seats is a whole lot whiter than that.

Here is a shot of 1967 Pearlesent white (Barracuda) in direct sunlight, it is a bright white as well. Legandary has the material for both.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006 - 09:07:35 PM by Rev-It-Up »

RedLine

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006 - 09:23:46 PM »
Rev-it-up just reminded me that CODY has the Chrysler interior book-- with ALL the samples. 
hmmmmm....   Yoooo C - O  - D  - Y    ?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006 - 09:28:44 PM »

Each model year had seperate books for Chrysler, Plymouth & Dodge. Lots of books to find.  :pullinghair:

Barry

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006 - 09:47:28 PM »
So how many "whites" do you think Chrysler had during the time period of 70 - 74?  We've been told only 1 and we have it in the product sent to us....I just can't believe that!  In any case...it looks like we are out a bunch of money in this fiasco.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006 - 10:04:15 PM »
For those years I only have only two books out of 15 possible. There was definately more than one shade of white.  :banghead:

Barry

ukneil

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006 - 03:08:41 AM »
I would guess that if they used the 200 color, then it`s correct. White interior is not a pure white, it does have a creamy shade to it. I must admit I was surprised to see the color of mine when I took them out of the box, but then I had no reference as the interior had been changed to black from the original A6XW. It`s difficult to gauge the color by photo as it`s dependant on the daylight or flash used. Here`s mine;

RedLine

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006 - 05:49:28 AM »
thanks ukneil.  having recognizable things in the picture that can be used as reference helps.  For instance that chair in the left background of your second picture - the arm rests appear to be blonde wood almost a bamboo color.  My covers are more that color. Though I can see in you pictures the hint of cream, your covers are alot whiter than to mine.  its almost like I have "200 beige"

Thanks for taking the time to help. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006 - 05:55:52 AM by RedLine »

ukneil

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006 - 06:28:08 AM »
gotta admit that your covers do look much more yellow/creamy than mine. I would have thought all 200 color were the same though :dunno:

Hope you get it sorted.

RedLine

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006 - 02:07:45 PM »
Heres another picture -- the lighting is from one of those halogen floor lamps

and thanks Mopar73340 for the help   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006 - 02:29:23 PM by RedLine »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006 - 02:32:09 PM »
Well that sucks!   :sly:   Hope you get it worked out!   :cheers:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006 - 05:50:30 PM »
My `73 Duster / Barracuda brochure shows white for the Barracuda but only blue,green,black or parchment for the Duster/Valiant.My cuda seats are very close to pure white,only slightly off white.Your seat covers look more like parchment,the color that was available in `73-74.I know I have seen Dusters with a white interior that would match mine in fact I`m pretty sure my `73 Sattelite had Duster buckets and they matched the Sattelites white interior perfectly.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi