Author Topic: Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI  (Read 9252 times)

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI
« on: June 16, 2006 - 04:00:47 AM »
Howdy,

A long time ago I think I asked this but nobody at the time had any experience so I thought i'd ask again before I fork out AU$4,000.

I'm considering tossing my Demon carb for Edelbrocks Pro Flow multipoint fuel injection. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about this kit? It includes everything from intake, injectors, computer to distributor etc.

Small pic from their website attached.

:drool:
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006 - 09:04:31 AM »
I've used it for a year and a half.  My best MPG was 20.5 with a 440, 1-7/8 headers, 833 Overdrive, and 3:55 rear gears.  I can start my car and drive it without any warm up period. All the the settings, fuel, timing, enrichment, is adjusted at the calibration module mounted on my ashtray and it contains a tri color LED that idicates rich, lean, stoich conditions. It comes with a 1000 CFM Throttle body.   I am currently building 2 new port injection systems. One uses the Megasquirt, build it yourself computer and Holley Commander Milti-port Efi kit.   Both need laptops to tune, unlike the Edelbrock system.  I found a guy that drills and welds my manifolds for injectors. These 2 systems are a cheap way to fuel inject anything. The cheapest way is Megasquirt and those $50, 900 cfm used holley projection TBI units.

I spoke with VIC Jr. during the Power Tour, and he tells me that the 1st 1500 kits had the Aluminum manifold, the new ones are all cast iron.    I have the Aluminum one and love it.
Everything came with the Edlebrock kit, besides the coil and plug wires.    I paid US $2795 total from JEGS.
Here are some pics
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006 - 09:10:03 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006 - 04:41:22 PM »
Here is my latest 440 Project.   Holley Throttle body on ebay, $288.  Fuel injected Manifold on ebay, $300. Megasquirt computer $150.00.    Having another fuel injected 440:  PRICELESS!
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006 - 04:58:21 PM »
With the Edelbrock setup, does the computer control the ignition advance? And if so, do you need to use the distributor you get with it? I've got a brand new MSD one that looks better then the one you get.
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline Robb

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006 - 06:01:23 PM »
Here is my latest 440 Project.   Holley Throttle body on ebay, $288.  Fuel injected Manifold on ebay, $300. Megasquirt computer $150.00.    Having another fuel injected 440:  PRICELESS!

Rob,

When you say manifold on eBay for 300$  are you talking about the Rails or the Rails and the manifold

could you post a link to more information on the Megasquirt computer ?   (n/m http://www.megasquirt.info/)

also, are you upgrading your fuelines and fuel pumps all the way back to the Gas tank ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006 - 06:07:33 PM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006 - 08:09:41 PM »
Robb,
I found the complete manifold on e-bay, already welded with the bungs, tapped rails and rail mounts for $300.  I was the only bidder and waited till the last 10 seconds to bid.  It was a good buy as the guy was building a B engine after changing his mind on this RB manifold.    I have since found a guy in UTAH that used to charge $150 to drill,
install, and weld 8 bungs into your manifold. He has now gone up to $175. Fuel rails extra. This pic below is a small block one that he did for me. $150 for the installed bungs and rail mounts, $70 to drill my fuel rails and tap the ends.  His prices have since gone up. Injectors were pulled from a junk yard Crown Vic, another set from a 5.9 Mopar.
Fuel pumps can be puchased from Summit or any parts store if a Ford Econoline or F150 EFI pump is used.  His name is Aaron Larson, his site is www.intakeelbows.com tell him Rob in St. Louis recommended him.

As far as Fuel lines, I used my stock sending unit and drilled out the 5/16 line to replace it with a 3/8" pickup.  I then drilled another hole to re-install my 5/16 line as a return line.  I then used 3/8" steel brake line to run my new fuel line up to the engine next to the old line.  I use Brake line because they come with double flared ends and I can extend them with brass unions or hose adapters. The right rear wheel well contains the pre-filter and inline fuel pump. They are bolted to the frame rail right where the old fuel line ran. Then Up on the firewall, I have another EFI fuel filter before the injectors.

Wart1de,   Yes the ignition is controlled by the computer.  When my system came new it had as much as 52 degrees advance at idle that I programmed out. The distributor is unique as the computer has to know where #1 cylinder is all times. It has 8 equally spaced windows, for the hall-effect timing sensor, with the #1 window being narrower for the ECU.    If you want to do just fuel, go the Megasquirt route, Get a used Holley Projection 4-BBL-TBI unit
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006 - 01:25:09 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 - 07:01:58 PM »
Robb
I was looking into a supercharger and some people told me go fuel injection route so I could tune it easier. What would be the easiest cost effective way to go about it? I have access to a local salvage yard my buddy owns if there would be anything I could use there (computer, fuel rail, injectors, ect.). How would I let the computer know what cylinder is firing? Would I use a hall effect switch on the crank crank shaft or use a differnet distributer? This would probably be this winters project so I have time to look for stuff at swap meets, ebay, and salavge yards.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006 - 08:52:24 PM »
I was looking into a supercharger and some people told me go fuel injection route

This part is a little beyond me,  You would need a 3-bar map sensor and a wide-band oxygen sensor.   
Get a hold of F.A.S.T.  Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing.
  All the Blown and Turbo engine guys use their stuff.

here is a link to their site.
  http://www.fuelairspark.com/

here is a link to their 850HP Mopar article:
  http://www.fuelairspark.com/ArticlesAboutUs/Details.asp?ID=-1136291870

They know fuel injection.

Rob
Rob

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:10:53 PM »
Would I gain anything by using a tbi off a 454ss truck that way it would work off sensors and throttle postiion only.I wouldn't have to mess with fuel rail or tapping the intake, ect.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:25:55 PM »
The bases on the throttle bodies don't match a standard 2 or 4 BBL 4160 holley bolt pattern.  There is a company that sells the adapters. You'll have to do a search and find them.   If I were you, I'd llok for the used 4bbl holley projection TBIs. They have a 4 injectors, air temp, TPS , and built in pressure regulator.  I've seen the 900 cfm unit go for as little as $50 at swap meets.  Scoop those up ASAP.
Rob

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:29:20 PM »
What did the 4bbl holley projection TBIs origanally come on or are they after market? Is there any to stay away from? Is there a quick way to tell them apart?

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006 - 06:20:24 PM »
I was looking on ebay at the holly tbi. Can I use my stock distributer? Is there any thing that even hooks up to the distributer? The reason I ask is on the Holly web site it says it compatible with gm hei and list other distruters. I am just trying to get an idea what I am getting into.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006 - 10:31:00 PM »
The Holley TBI unit was from the Holley Pro-jection units that were JUNK.  I see them pop up on ebay now and then but you just need  the TBI unit without the junk computer.  There is a company called Promax that is selling complete megasquirt units with their own 8 injector throttle body that bolts onto your 4BBL intake.. Look them up and call them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006 - 01:27:06 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006 - 11:12:44 AM »
shelbydog,

I am cosidering building an EFI similar to your for my 440. I have been eyeing up the FAST XFI unit. Would this work with a custom built manifold/injector/TB set up similar to yours? I like all the tune ability of the XFI, its pretty sweet. What are your thoughts on this?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006 - 11:17:07 AM »
That is a very good system.  Those FAST guys know what they are talking about and can be used to control any home made manifolds.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/
Rob