Author Topic: Found some Hemi stuff....WIW??  (Read 3081 times)

Offline EvilTwinATX

Found some Hemi stuff....WIW??
« on: June 17, 2006 - 01:06:47 AM »
I am trying to talk this guy I know into selling his Hemi block(s) and parts. He thinks he knows what it is worth...I think that he thinks it is GOLD! Anyway, I am willing to pay him a fair price for his stuff...I just cant afford to pay a fortune.

Here is my question: his block might need some welding or repair (he is an old drag racer) and these block used to be used is his old drag cars... he says that he has enough parts to build a complete engine...but has to dig thru it all. Let's just say for the sake of arguement that he has all (or most ) of the parts for a year coded block - what kind of value does that add to the value of my car? I have a original 318 car and am doing a clone with a shaker hood, from the ground up. So it would be a Hemi Clone if I decided to buy it...

Anyway, please give me your thoughts on this. I have options right now because I havent put any money into anything yet... opinions please on which way to go.

Thanks...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Found some Hemi stuff....WIW??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006 - 07:44:24 AM »
I say, If you're going to build a hemi, get a crate hemi from Chrysler.  You'll get the 12/12,000 warranty which you can't get anywhere else. Those crates are all broken in and dynoed before delivery.  If his blocks have to be welded, then they are damaged. Welding cast iron is a big deal where the whole block has to be heated up, then welded with a nickel-content rod.  (a soft patch).   His stuff might be gold if he had the correct DATED block for your ORIGINAL hemi car.  Get his stuff as cheap as possible if you still want it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006 - 07:49:38 AM »
 I wouldn't get all locked into getting a date coded block for a clone car. Especially one that needed some type of repair. New bare blocks are available, and with a clone, who cares about date coding? Now the other bits (heads, rocker shafts and arms, rods, crank, intake) are worth getting. You are going to use new pistons and valves anyway, and if the crank is badly scored you can them new also. Price out the parts if you bought new, then make him a reasonable offer.

If you buy a crate motor, disassemble it BEFORE you install it and get it completely checked out. Some of the problems with them I've heard (and experienced) are: leaking rear main seals, breaking rocker arm studs, misaligned ring gaps, and general internal engine cleanliness. Even if it's guarenteed, I would not want to be pulling a motor in a freshly restored car because of a problem. You can get a built hemi from FHO, Aruzza, etc...for about the same $$ with much better quality.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 - 07:51:51 AM by hemi71 »

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006 - 10:42:43 AM »
IF you get a complete date coded hemi for a good price, sell it and pay for your crate hemi.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006 - 12:11:31 PM »
Don't waste your money. Old race blocks and heads are not good investments. Leave them for those numbers matching guys that are building garage museum pieces. Race blocks are usually stressed in the lifter bore areas due to the big springs and high lifts that they ran. And, just like everything else chrysler built, they tended to rust from the inside out if they weren't stored properly. Save up your dollars and get one of the new crate hemis. Mopar performance was having problems with bad block castings and poor assembly techniques when they were using Cummins to assemble the motors, but they've changed foundries and have started using a better builder so most, if not all, of their problems have been corrected. Or, you can add a little more cash and having one of the engine builders assemble one for you. That would probably eliminate any problems altogether.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006 - 12:54:36 PM »
 :iagree:

Go with the create motor
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006 - 02:18:59 PM »
Thanks for your input guys...make a lot of sense. I was weary to begin with because they were race blocks - now probably not even worth it. I found a 69 year coded 440 block today after talking to a friend of mine and just bought that for $450...so I am happy.

Thanks for bringing me back to reality! :burnout:

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006 - 10:11:42 PM »
I say, If you're going to build a hemi, get a crate hemi from Chrysler.  You'll get the 12/12,000 warranty which you can't get anywhere else.
Last I read in the catalogue, Mopar Performance crate engines have a 90 day manufacturers defect warranty only. All other Mopar Performance parts carry no warranty.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006 - 10:52:40 PM »
I got my crate hemi Feb. 05 and just started it last Friday night. I wonder if the warranty's still good?  :bigsmile:
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006 - 11:07:28 PM »
On the Power Tour 2 weeks ago, a speed shop had three crate engines there, A Chevy 572, a Ford something and a Mopar big block.  I asked about it and they are the ones that told me about the 12/12K warranty.  They could have been wrong. It wasn't Mopar Performance saying it.  They also told me that Crate Hemis are all on back order since they only build them once a year.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006 - 11:58:41 PM »
I wouldn`t pay more than$500 for a blown up race block , I know of one locally that has been available for a decade last i heard he wanted 3500 for it
& it was windowed both sides  :roflsmiley: 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t