Author Topic: Rallye Hood treatment  (Read 1630 times)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
Rallye Hood treatment
« on: June 18, 2006 - 03:47:06 PM »
I'm having my car repainted and the body shop owner wants to expand his image as a custom paint shop.  He has offered to paint the black-out on my hood like carbon fiber to mimic the new Challenger concept.  Sounds pretty cool, but I'm unsure.  The hood's currently painted using gloss black instead of the factory decal.
 :feedback:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006 - 07:50:52 AM by Rev-It-Up »
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Rallye Hood treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006 - 03:49:47 PM »
Do you have matching side stripes? What I'm getting at, is if the side stripes are gloss, then maybe this would work.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline crcarch

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006 - 08:44:09 PM »
No stripes, but a vinyl top.  He had mentioned wanted to do a strobe stripe, but airbrush it to make it appear 3D and floating over the body.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006 - 09:03:53 PM »
Sounds cool to me!!  Its just paint . . can always change it if you don't like it!  I'd have to see what the carbon fiber would look like before I could decide.   The AAR stripe sounds interesting!   :cheers:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006 - 07:52:47 AM »
Does he have any examples of what the painted look of carbon fiber would look like? 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline crcarch

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006 - 08:56:59 AM »
Does he have any examples of what the painted look of carbon fiber would look like? 

Not yet.  He's done it before but didn't have an example of it when I met him this weekend. I'm going to have him paint a sample for me to see and I should be able to post a pic in a few weeks.  He's quite talented with the airbrush and learned his technique from Mike Lavallee. Get's a lot business painting chopper's and a "pretty penny" for his efforts.

Here's an example of his work that he had on display at the Year One Braselton Bash.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006 - 01:01:07 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 - 11:33:44 AM »
I have the gloss black hood vinyl and I noticed on my long 4000 mile trip 2 weeks ago that hood glare really bugs your eyes after a while.   I even saw the glare off of the top of my black dash reflecting back to my eyes from the inside of my windshield.

Next time i'm going with flat black so It'll work as designed.  One bad thing about flat black though, If you get wax into it, sometimes you can't get it back out.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006 - 02:21:39 PM »

One bad thing about flat black though, If you get wax into it, sometimes you can't get it back out.

Yep,
   I sure don't want anyone looking at my hood with a magnifying glass.  :nono:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline crcarch

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006 - 02:39:54 PM »
I have the gloss black hood vinyl and I noticed on my long 4000 mile trip 2 weeks ago that hood glare really bugs your eyes after a while.   I even saw the glare off of the top of my black dash reflecting back to my eyes from the inside of my windshield....

I drove many miles with it painted and with the black-out decal.  I never had a problem with glare off the top of the hood but I did have it coming from the "back" part of the bulge, just before the vents.  The decal doesn't cover that.

Offline Robb

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006 - 03:46:47 PM »
If the flat black is a sticker rather than paint,   wax is no longer an issue right ?

I say let him paint it carbon-fibre, and then when hes done showin you off for his business, you put a flat-black sticker on top of it. 

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline basement

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:18:03 PM »
I have the decal and am happy except when the city water has alittle more minerals then usual. Leaves water spots that are a b$#@& to get off.

daves70

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:43:56 PM »
Get some distilled water in a bottle. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on and wipe it off. :grinyes:

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006 - 12:28:54 PM »
Get some distilled water in a bottle. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on and wipe it off. :grinyes:
Or use the Mr. Clean thing that has a water filter in it just for that reason. 

But about the hood, I'd shy away from the carbon fiber look.  Unless the car has some hi-tech gadgets under hood (EFI) and an updated fancy interior to match, it would clash IMO.
The 3d stripes sounds cool but I'd have to see an example.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline crcarch

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006 - 01:15:32 PM »
But about the hood, I'd shy away from the carbon fiber look.  Unless the car has some hi-tech gadgets under hood (EFI) and an updated fancy interior to match, it would clash IMO.
The 3d stripes sounds cool but I'd have to see an example.

Perhaps understanding where I'm going with the car would help.

My plan for the car is to "renovate", not restore it.  By that I mean upgrade and modernize it while keeping the original form. The engine compartment is cleaned up and will have a modern A/C compressor and master cylinder showing. Fuel injection is planned, but I haven't won the lottery yet.  Suspension is upgraded as far as I can go without going the Alterkation/AirRide route.  I'll be using Wilwood disks, 17" wheels and low profile rubber on all 4 corners.  I'm hoping that the final stance will be somewhat in the weeds, but still able to handle everyday conditions. The lighting will be modernized with LED tail-lights and modern headlights. The interior will be updated with carbon fiber on the dash and AutoMeter Gauges similar to what GoodysGotACUDA did. I'm putting in power windows and locks and the stereo will be kickin'. The seats will be modern and recovered in leather and suede, but the door panels and console will be stock, save for the burled walnut trim I'm using instead of the stock vinyl stick-on's. 

As for the 3D effects.  I'll have to see an example myself.  If you happened to catch the Overhaulin' episode where they tricked out a Dodge Magnum; the effect was used on the HEMI emblem's.