Author Topic: new old truck  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
new old truck
« on: June 19, 2006 - 06:45:14 PM »
I have started to look around for a new old truck. I am looking for something in the 1970-1989 range and wonder if anybody has any advice on what to look for and what to stay away from. I like the older style of truck and would use it for the weekly vist to the box stores as well as for parts and maybe to tow the Chally or a boat. Does anybody have an older truck?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Alaskan_TA

Re: new old truck
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006 - 07:46:01 PM »
I would like one too. There is one here in EV2 - Hemi orange, not sure of the year but I bet it is a '69 or 70. Everytime I see it it is headed the other direction so I have not had a good look at it yet. It sure looks nice though.......

Barry

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
    • American car and truck forums
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006 - 04:36:40 AM »
There is a big difference between the 71, and the 72. For towing, the sweptline trucks, (61-71) are ok. (They all have a solid front axle, you either love em or hate em) The 65 1/2's and up have a longer wheelbase than the 65 1/2's and down, you can tell the difference between them by the full width tailgate. The older (shorter WB) trucks don't have the widegate. Being that the body is the same, but the WB is shorter, the older trucks don't pull as nice as the newer ones because the hitch is farther from the real axle. Tougue weight is real sensitive on these, not to mention trailer desighn.
The best towing swepts, would be some of the 68's, and 69-71. Reason is, these got a front swaybar, and different spring rates. They ride better, and handle real nice, I prefer the swaybar straight axle to the newer ind trucks, personally.
As far as brakes, in stock form, the swepts have uh, kinda decent brakes, real good, for drums, but they lack the discs that most 72+ trucks have. My 69 Swept, and my 71 both have 12x2 1/2's on all four corners, and I NEVER had a brake problem, the rears like to lock up when braking hard though, they come on the same, front to back, which is great with weight in the back, but light can be interseting in a panic stop. The body on the 71- trucks is a hell of a lot stronger, and more rigid, they sit about the same, minus the steering wheel. Kinda in your lap on the swepts, but short guys like me don't mind! Finding power steering is a pain too, on the 71-, I rather not have it, but sometimes.........it sure would be nice.
Oh, I LOVE the simple guages and dash layout of the 68-71's too, simple, and reliable. The first thing to look at, on the 71-'s, is the floor, it is the weakest part of the body, as far as rust goes. It is flat, unlike the early chevs, so reaplcing it is pretty easy, but there is a place in the front of the cab mount, at the back of the front tire, with a 1 1/4" body plug in it, if this is gone, it will be a PITA to fix! Plus the cab will want to sag in the middle.
Not a big deal, but look at the wiring on th back of the fusebox, sometimes the main power wire connection is burnt, and, BTW, without a relay, never put an alternator bigger than 40A on one of these, or you will fry the red power wire, LOL, don't ask me how I know. I usually put an extra jmper wire there, so I don't have to get out and wiggle it at a stoplight in the rain.
Check to see if the seat mounts are cracked, where it is welded to the floor.
King pin wear, they are repalcable, but you may be looking for a ready to drive truck.
Top shock bolt, they usually at least once, get loose and beat the poo out of the hole. The mount off of the frame is just a piece of angle iron anyway, easy to build, and replace.
Steering box play, and look to see if it has been leaking, most do, and have been dry for twenty years, LOL.
The steering column is another loosey part, the turn signal switch/bearing/shifter gets all wore, and is a PITA to get right!
Pull the plugs out of the firewall, and see if they are full of leaves! If so, look for rust starting on the bodyline, right above the top of the fender, below the windshield, you can see where moisture can pile up in there.
Other than that, I think you are good. Oh, dana 60/70 thing, if you do get one, put a pin/spider kit in it right away, the spider pin is held in by a little roll pin, and when it gets loose, it breaks the roll pin, and comes out and kisses the pinion gear.

For fear of sounding anti-mopar, I will not comment too much on the 72-93 trucks, other than if you can find one with a good tight body, and untouched/burnt fusebox/heater switch'es, it is a damn good truck, for a tin can................ :misbehaving:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006 - 05:54:52 AM »
I prefer the Dakota to the full size. you know that MP has a big block conversiion kit!  :smokin:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006 - 10:00:45 PM »
Personally I would look at 88-93 models as they were the most full of creature comforts and still had the beef of the 72 and up trucks, but also added fuel injection. Worked on these since 84.

Have also seen 2 trucks around here, 66 and a 68 that have had a newer style frame and suspension put underneath them.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006 - 10:33:51 PM »
Have also seen 2 trucks around here, 66 and a 68 that have had a newer style frame and suspension put underneath them.

Too bad..........hack a perfectly good truck.   :walkaway:

The 72 ups are pretty good, I have a couple, and like them, but they lack the character, and the ruggedness that the older trucks have. I really dont care for the looks, and the way the interior falls apart in the 80+ers, the door panels rattle, the glove box comes open, they just got cheap.

I have killed two moose with a 69, and a 74, I'll try to dig up the pics of the 69, LOL, it was obviouse which one rated the best in the moose test!

I hit about the same size moose, at about the same speed, in the same spot. The 69 drove away..............and wasn't THAT bad........of course, not everyone whacks moose.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006 - 08:00:26 AM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 - 07:17:42 AM »
I would like to see the other pictures.

Bullwinkle tested and approved!
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006 - 09:08:20 AM »
The 74 was bullwinkle approved.........it was nice and squishy in the front, made for a more comfortable hit, and better force distribution. The 69 wasn't Bullwinkle approved, it was way to hard in the front.
If I cant find the pics of the 69 after the moose, I can take some of the front clip, I stil have it.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 - 11:22:55 AM »
I have had no trouble other than maintainance on my 1985.  It has been a real workhorse.  I am getting some roof rot.  It has never been in a garage.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006 - 02:15:53 AM »
Oooooh! Pretty!

Let me go get a napkin.................

Offline chrisII

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006 - 08:51:32 PM »
I  like the 72 -74s the best (or is it 75?) anyways i know the 76 had gotten a kinda ugly grille. i think ive had 20+ dodge full sizes from 72 -83. I loved my 83 once i dumped the slant six and droped in a big block. ive had 3 72s and all treated me really well, i still have a 72 1 ton wrecker. the wiring is a bit rough. and it only runs off of a gas can in the inner fender and an elec fuel pump, but up till like 2001 i used it regurlarly. it looked like crap, has an 83 cab now ,the wrecker bed is junk and doors dont match ect..but with a granny low 4speed and 3.73 gears it would pull a house and still get better mileage than my 4x4 dakota does

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006 - 03:16:58 AM »
The grill you like, is 74-76. :thumbsup:

It is my favorite too, favorite of the ping-pong body, that is. :dogpile:

Offline chrisII

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006 - 09:48:40 AM »
I like the 72-3 also , i did have 3 72s. and it did get better when they added the body line like in 6packs. that was a good looking truck, and didnt have the water resivors in the hood (who thought that up???, some designer neads a kick in the azz)

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006 - 10:09:51 AM »
I like the 72 better than the 82. And the bird bath hood? I like the looks, but the water freezes in them here, expands, and stretches the steel on the hood.
And the bird bath hood made a great place to put the power wagon!

Offline chrisII

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006 - 11:30:29 AM »
yeah, im in wisconsin so i know about the water freezing. never had one stretch the hood that i notoced tho. just those pesky ice burgs falling on the engine in winter if you open the hood.