Author Topic: 71 Challenger R/T grille  (Read 3550 times)

Offline myleslong

71 Challenger R/T grille
« on: June 20, 2006 - 12:53:46 PM »
 This is my first post, though I've been lurking for quite some time. I have a 71 Challenger R/T that I bought 16 years ago and has been sitting in my garage for 13 years in pieces. I'm finally getting around to it's long awaited restoration.
The grille is painted completely with flat black paint. I know this is not correct, but I can't find a good picture of what it should look like. I know that it should have at least some silver somewhere. Can someone post a picture that clearly shows the correct combo?
Thanks in advance,
Larry
71 challenger R/T "N" code W/ 440+6 Automatic.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: 71 Challenger R/T grille
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006 - 01:08:19 PM »
I have no pics for you, but someone surely will by tonight, Just thought I'd say howdy to ya Myleslong  :wave:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006 - 02:05:39 PM »
Hey Larry!  Welcome to the forum.  I have a 70 so can't help out too much with pictures, but I know the other folks will shortly.  Until then, I have a pic of Camjam's car...it's just not close enough for details. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006 - 02:46:21 PM »
The 71 R/T grille is black unpainted plastic and argent silver.  All 71 Challenger grilles were made from black plastic.  The R/T grilles had argent silver added to them and part was left black.  The non-R/T Challengers had argent silver in the same places as the R/T grilles and textured silver where the R/T grille was black.  The argent silver is Ditzler code DX- 8555.  There was other posts on this topic.  You can find them using the search option.  I believe you will find pics there also.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline myleslong

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006 - 05:07:22 PM »
Thanks to all for the quick replys!
 I tried the search before posting and wasn't getting lucky, but after I narrowed it to "grille color" I hit the jackpot. The pictures of Camjam's 71 showed me exactly what I was looking for. Upon further inspection of my grille I can see where the silver has been painted over. Should be a simple fix at this point. I'll post pictures as the work progresses. It needs rear quarters (Goodmark) and a deck lid...Then paint. I'm doing the work myself.
Thanks again,
Plenty more questions coming I'm sure.
Larry

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006 - 05:25:33 PM »
Larry,
  Glad you found your answer. Please show us pics as you work on your car too. We LOVE pics!!  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006 - 06:15:23 PM »
Ok, here's a couple.  I just finished restoring mine. The lighting isn't too good but ask away.

Offline ROMI

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006 - 06:20:13 PM »
This one may be better.  Basically, the upper and lower are satin black and the inside is silver.  But the back ribs on the inside are satin black. Now the inserts are silver except the inside edge 3/4 of the way around (not on top) and that part is satin black.  If that didn't make any sense I can certainly understand why, that's why I say "ask away" !

Offline myleslong

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006 - 05:23:06 AM »
Thanks ROMI,
 I can see on mine what you are talking about with the 3/4 around on the bezels. Your grille looks great! Mine is a little warped around the lower edge, but I think the bumper will cover that area. I see your in Lapeer. I'm in Garden City. Not real close, but close enough to maybe come and see your car as a reference if I get really stumped. Not many Mopars on my side of town, mostly Mustangs and Chevys. My car has been in pieces for so long I've forgotton where some things go. I've got the factory manuals so I'll eventually figure it all out.
Best regards,
Larry

Offline ROMI

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006 - 10:54:43 AM »
Hey Larry, It's a pleasure to meet you.  If there's ever anything I can help with I'd be gald to.  We were at the Gratiot cruise last Saturday and there were a TON of Mopars, but that side of town always has had a lot of Chrysler products. Everyone on this board is extremely helpful so it's a great place to hang around.  Good luck with your restoration.

By the way, I'll be on Woodward in the evenings during the week of the cruise.  Saturday is nuts so I usually don't go then.  If you should decide to go up there let me know.

Also, did you know about the "Motown Showdown"?  Friday July 28th is Mopar Day.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006 - 10:58:19 AM by ROMI »

Offline myleslong

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006 - 05:08:32 AM »
ROMI,
I do the same concerning the Woodward cruise. I usually go on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I'll contact you as the date gets closer. For the last few years I've met up at Woodward and Square lake with the Michigan chapter of the Buick Grand national club. (I've got an 86GN) I don't know if you are interested in turbo Buicks, but some of the fastest and nicest around always show up.  Where is the Motown showdown? I've heard the name tossed around, but don't have any details.
Thanks in advance,
Larry

Offline ROMI

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006 - 08:53:56 AM »
Grand Nationals... REALLY?  I pass one that's for sale every day to and from work. 
The Motown Showdown is at the State Fairgrounds on 8 and Woodward.

I'll stop on the way home and snap a few pictures of the GN for sale.

Offline ROMI

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006 - 03:59:39 PM »
Sorry bout the quality, it's my phone. They're asking $12,500

Offline myleslong

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006 - 05:10:13 AM »
$12,500 is about right if it's a low milage car with a rust free body. It's hard to tell, but it looks clean in the pictures.
I'll get in touch around the time of the Woodward cruise and maybe we can meet up for a couple of tours of the "Avenue". On a Mopar note....I removed the right side Quarter panel from my car. The wheelhouse and rocker is in good shape. The Quarter trunk extention is rotted, but repalaceable as a unit. I ordered a new part from Jim's Mopar parts. They had a much better price than Sherman for the same part. (I hope) Should have the part next week. I'll post pictures of my progress then.
Larry