Author Topic: 1974 'cuda Leaf Spring ?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline c_u_d_a

1974 'cuda Leaf Spring ?
« on: June 20, 2006 - 07:45:35 PM »
I'm trying to determine the larget wheel I can fit without rubbing, and while taking the measurements I discovered that the leaf springs are not parallel.

At the front eye, the center-center measurement is 44.75" and the center-center mesurement at the rear is 48". My question is why are the leaf springs not parallel? I also have 1973 Challenger that measures approximately the same. On my 1966 Charger, the leaf springs are parallel.

Thanks!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 1974 'cuda Leaf Spring ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006 - 12:41:05 AM »
well ask the engineeers , all E bodys are not parallel, nothing unusual 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline c_u_d_a

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006 - 04:36:33 AM »
I know manufacturing tolerance were not the best and the structure is not perfectly square under the best of circumstances, but when the leaf springs are splayed outward toward the rear by 1-5/8" this must be mostly by design. I just was curious as to why this would be done.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 - 10:30:55 AM »
Right..  All A bodies Longitudinals (thats the sub frame rails) and springs are parallel as are B-bodies up to 1970.
The E-bodies have the longitudinals and springs closer together in the front and further away in the rear.

Interestingly the 1971 and up B-bodies have the logitudinals and springs more apart in the front and closer together in the rear!!! So I don't know what the advantage is either way.

Dont chalk it up to an assembly line mistake though. It's just the way it's designed like CP said

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006 - 10:39:24 AM »
It was designed for handling as stated in the Mopar performance manual.  For more spring clearance, I just welded my front hangers to another cut up set last night. I drilled a couple of holes so that 2 of the bolts go through both layers of the new front hanger.  I also welded up a set of the 1" offset rear hangers to move my springs in and put in an early B-body rear end.  This should allow a deeper dish look and additional spring clearance.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Ravage

• 1974 318 'Cuda
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006 - 12:51:25 PM »
Perhaps the springs were less prone to wrapping under heavy torque with the splay thereby reducing wheel hop?  :dunno: :clueless:
"I flipped off a box of kittens once..." (Tycho on being evil)