Author Topic: Suggestions for Hemi combo  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Confederate Cuda

Suggestions for Hemi combo
« on: June 21, 2006 - 07:02:24 PM »
I am in the planning phase for my restoration and would like to get some opinions on the best set up for me. Here is the background of the car and what I want to do with it. It is a 73 Cuda, original 340 car but is not numbers matching. I will install a 426 Hemi, not because this seems to be the latest fad but because I have dreamed about it since I was 16. It is not my intention to ever race this car. I would like something to cruise in and take to car shows and occasionally melt the rear tires. So my question is this: Transmission 727 with or without gears vendor overdrive? What would be an ideal rear gear ratio: 3.55:1? Looking for something that is fun and fast but low maintenance. (Want to be able to drive 500 miles to the Mopar Nationals and not worry about being left on the side of the road) You can put all I know about building these cars in a thimble and it still would not be full so please help. :1zhelp:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Suggestions for Hemi combo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 - 03:03:39 AM »
I would get a hemi built rather than buying a crate , I can build you one or FHO in ONt is good
I have a custom Hemi cam that works awesome , , the idle is stock & the power is far better at any rpm up to the normal redline of 6500 or so I do not recommend using anything But solid cams in Hemis , other than that good machining a parts
 3.55 is a good gear choice withotu overdrive , with OD 410 will be better
 personally I like having OD

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 - 03:16:12 AM »

If you have the money to, definitely get the Gear Vendors unit. Make sure when you order that you get the Autoshift sequencer module unit, it's their latest package and is 10 times better than the stock unit.

4:10's or 3:91's would work nicely with your HEMI.  ;)

Here's a Gear Vendors chart I made to help you decide. This is calculated with 28" tires:

Speeds below at 65mph (105kph)

3.55 Gear (2.76 OD) = 2150rpm
3.73 Gear (2.91 OD) = 2270rpm
3.91 Gear (3.05 OD) = 2380rpm
4:10 Gear (3.20 OD) = 2495rpm

Speeds below at 75mph (120kph)

3.55 Gear (2.76 OD) = 2480rpm
3.73 Gear (2.91 OD) = 2620rpm
3.91 Gear (3.05 OD) = 2740rpm
4:10 Gear (3.20 OD) = 2880rpm

:thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006 - 03:21:35 PM »
I agree with Chryco---get one built and pass on the crate engine.  If you get a crate, go ahead and order a rebuild gasket kit and take it apart and check everything and put it back together before you install it in your car.  As for getting left on the side of the road, you must recognize this Hemi fact:  Hemi's require high maintenance to keep them performing at their best.  Solid lift cams require regular setting of the valve lash.  Carbs need tweaking on a regular basis also.  If you are willing to keep it tweaked, it should run as many miles as any other engine.  Strong running Hemi = Regular maintenance.  If you are looking to install an engine and forget it, select a big block wedge motor, you'll be happier in the long run.  Hemis are great and run very strong, just be aware of what it takes to keep them that way.  As for gears, if you are mostly driving around town and to local cruises, check into a 3.91.  If you will be driving on the interstate for miles and miles, go with a 3.55 or 3.73.   My Hemi runs 4.10 and I have driven it 50 miles one way on the interstate to a cruise.  But I have 31" tall tires.  Oh yeah---when you put that big elephant motor in your car, be sure and upgrade your cooling system.  Big motors=big heat.  Just my 0.02...........   :cooldancing:   Oldschool

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006 - 07:25:38 PM »
Thanks guys,
Looks like I will get the overdrive unit but still need to think on the gear ratio. The car currently has 4.10's in it so maybe I will try them with the overdrive and if I do not like it I will change to something less. I do want to be able to drive to long distance on the interstate. I need to learn more about Hemi's to make the final decision there but sounds like you guys are not very keen on the crate engines. Are the new hydraulic lifters not working in these new engines? You will have to educate me as to why solid lifters are better for non race applications. Chryco, will you be at Carlisle? If so, I would like to meet you and perhaps we can discuss building my hemi. Thanks again for all the input. :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006 - 12:40:18 AM »
Hydraulic lifter are problematic & have had poor quality control over the last few years for a # of reasons , 1 factory burned down & another went bankrupt about the same time so the demand on the remaining factory was overwhelming & quality has not returned , alos I have not been able to find a GOOD hyd gring for a street Hemi But I have a Killer solid grind we have used in 3 engines
 I will be at Carlisle

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006 - 07:17:11 AM »
Thanks Chryco,
I will see you in two weeks in Carlisle.