Author Topic: A real project stopper!!!!  (Read 2085 times)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
A real project stopper!!!!
« on: June 25, 2006 - 04:20:07 PM »
I have had my little project (71 cuda) for almost 30 yrs. At one point it got parked and life got in the way and it sat in the garage for 20 years. Last summer I got re excited about getting it running again--a large part due to finding this web site--and started wrenching again. Had to get a new fuel tank/sending unit to start. 20 year old gas sure has a nasty smell to it!  Tore the motor down to short block and found 6 bent push rods and a few other little problems. Did manage to get running late last fall--got a cautious 100 miles on it before winter shut me down.  This spring I was able to really get a good start on making the cuda more road worthy. Put in new rear leaf springs and shock,new tires/rims, elect. ign., and a few other items. Also got a new Just Suspensions poly front end kit. Last Saturday I started tearing the suspension out and got down to the torsion bars and stopped. I also orderd a new TTI X-pipe exhaust system. On Sunday (Fathers day) I took a break and went out into our local desert  to collect some landscape rock. After loading a few rather large rocks  I started feeling a little puny!!!!  Chest Pain--shortness of breath-sweatty- jaw pain- a pain going down my left shoulder and arm-you guessed it(first 2 don't count)  HEART ATTACK!!!    A major artery blockage, which they opened up by putting in a stent. I got out of the hospital yesterday and have to take it real easy for 2 weeks. No exercising  and I cant lift anything heavier than 10 pounds. I had planed to have every thing done by my birthday(7-13/ I will be 49) and go for my first long drive.   :burnout:  After 20 years a little longer to wait after getting so close really   :villagers: me off, but I guess it beats the alternative   :faint:   Guess the moral to this story  is if you have risk factors for whatever health problem --dont ignore them--some time it takes a good kick in the a$$ - err chest to wisen up.  Sorry for the long winded story---I need to go to the garage and weigh my sledge hammer.    Doug

Alaskan_TA

Re: A real project stopper!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006 - 04:33:15 PM »
The car has waited this long, a little more time will not bother it any. Very glad that you are OK!

Barry

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006 - 04:34:36 PM »
Hang in there Doug,

My grand parents lived to 83, 87, and 91. One is still alive at 97. My father died at 64 of heart failure though. So it can hit anyone. I'll admit my father was a life of the party guy that once said he would rather die than eat rabbit food(salads and fruit). He smoked Camels non-filtered for 30 years too, but gave them up 20 years before he died. My point is it can happen to anyone regardless of the family history.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006 - 05:56:37 PM »
Glad you got it taken care of...  You will be fine and your car will too..   Hang in there and let us know how things are going..........     Oldschool

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006 - 07:48:51 PM »
Glad to hear from ya Doug :)  ...wow...

Russ
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006 - 03:53:39 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006 - 07:59:38 PM »
Doug, Your story could be mine till you get to the heart problem. Best wishes on your recovery. Maybe during your recovery you can take care of some of the light work.  :thumbsup:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006 - 08:27:33 PM »
Glad your feeling better..  Take it easy and listen to the doctors.  You should be doing burnouts in no time

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006 - 08:38:54 PM »
Doug

Very happy to hear your out of the hospital and on the road to recovery. Life sometimes has a funny way of making you look at whats important in life.

1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006 - 09:07:46 PM »
Glad you are still here to tell us about it. The car can wait till you are better.
I know of 25 yr olds that have had heart attacks, sometimes maybe we need to remind ourselves we have nothing to prove, I know it's tuff as we're guys :dunno:.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006 - 07:02:24 AM »
Glad your OK, and as has been said, be a good patient and do as you doctor says, it will speed along your full recovery and quicken the total resto, the car AND you. Thanks for sharing and we will certainly keep you in mind  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006 - 07:09:26 AM »
glad to hear you caught it early.. I saw a guy golfing  in the foursome in front of us last week.. have a heart attack.. I'm not sure he was so lucky.
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006 - 08:06:07 AM »
Glad you are ok now!  :cheers:
The owner of our company is only 56 and recently went in for a physical because he has been extremely fatigued lately.  He went on a Friday and was having a quadruple bypass that Monday.  This guy looks great, works out, and eats well but had one 70%, one 40%, and two 30% blocked arteries!  Definitely don't ignore anything, no matter how small it may seem.  :thumbsup:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006 - 08:36:01 AM »
Glad to hear your OK Doug!  Sounds like you've had a fun-filled week.  :eek4:  The great thing about our cars is that they are very patient.  They'll sit there and wait for you, no matter how long you let them sit.  :ylsuper:  Take care of yourself!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006 - 11:40:19 AM »
Good to see that you are still here typing though....the car can and will wait for ya....it has in the past it will for a bit longer....your health is more important now....Good luck!
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006 - 02:13:37 PM »
WOW just hang in there and heal before tearing into the car any more!   You've waited this long so what is alittle longer??  Glad you're OK!   :cheers: