Author Topic: Electronic Hood Pop? Update: Works  (Read 6007 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Electronic Hood Pop? Update: Works
« on: June 27, 2006 - 04:32:59 PM »
Haven't heard of anyone else trying this, but i just installed a power trunk release of a later mopar. Works awesome. While doing something under the hood, i notice the hood has the same style latch at the trunk.... :clueless: well i picked up another electronic trunk latch and I'm going to attempt in for the hood. Anyone else ever do this? One part looks like it may be a close fit, but it shoullddd work. Just to kinda keep people from walking up and popping the hood if they were interested in something in there  :eek4: I know the 'what if your battery dies syndrom comes up' since my battery is actually in the trunk and the key doesn't work with the latch (actually my kill switch will replace my key cylinder) but in my case i do have a kill switch where the stock battery tray was and i can hook a positive lead to that and ground it on the chassis for im sure enough charge to pop my trunk (thats where the battery is).

:lol: Anyone have a electronic hood popper? Just curious on if it works, LOOKS like it..but ill try it out this week :clueless:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006 - 10:31:00 AM by GoodysGotACUDA »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Anyone else do this? Electronic Hood Pop?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006 - 05:45:57 PM »
I have to say in all honesty, you would be the first with an electronic hood popper.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006 - 05:57:25 PM »
I got me one o them xzotic feren hood  thingys call it a Manuel Release  :woohoo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006 - 11:00:03 PM »
I got me one o them xzotic feren hood  thingys call it a Manuel Release  :woohoo:

I wasnt lucky enough to get that option on mine. You can walk right up and pop it. I'm not too into that with it being a daily driver and such, idk why but its a pretty simple fix. im out to start on it, ill keep ya posted  :cheers:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006 - 10:39:09 AM »
Works likea charm. Took me a little bit on the wiring since all my other wires under the hood are in my inner fenders. I had to get the grindin wheel out and shave the latch in a couple places, and use about 1" spacers to get the latch forward some so that i can get my adjustment. The latch will hit the kindova 'y' style factory latch support, so instead of cutting that i spaced it far enough out so that it wouldn't be an issue. Pretty darn easy to install, works like it was factory :naughty: And in a electrical failure i can reach up with a little screwdriver and pop it if need be. Works pretty good for a whoppin $5 at the junkyard  :cooldancing:

The first click is the trunk popping (im using a on - off -on momentary switch, so the hood is one way. trunk is the other)

:cooldancing: :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
Re: Electronic Hood Pop? Update: Works
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006 - 02:45:49 PM »
Way cool Goody-man, How bout a Pic of the installed product.                                         I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 - 06:19:14 PM »
Way cool Goody-man, How bout a Pic of the installed product.                                         I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!

Welp, i kinda didn't have the metal spacers that i needed last night...soooo until i get that squared away ill post pictures  :lol: But for now 'its workin great'  :eek7:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 - 06:32:26 PM »
NOw that is sweet.  Good job.  Get it done right and market a kit. :clapping:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006 - 03:59:39 PM »

Sorry, i thought the first pic came out better, and i do need to do some cleaning  :lol:

same thing here, latch has some dust/dirt crap on it, go figure...in the desert?  :smilielol:

Oh and i just put my car alarm in, they now pop via remote, the hood or trunk  :naughty:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006 - 04:57:26 PM »
   Mighty Slick Trick     what did the latches come out of?
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006 - 05:59:07 PM »
Those work nice, Mike! :grinyes:  I'll probably install one for my trunk lid, but you'll still be the first with one on the hood. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006 - 02:39:50 AM »
   Mighty Slick Trick     what did the latches come out of?

Early 80s diplomats and similar mopars. My junkyard has the cars lined up in rows with the trunks/hoods open, i just walked down and picked what i needed and went on my merry way, didnt quite notice what i took em off of.. If anyone is interested in a latch, i could probably pick one up for about $5 at the yard, plus s&h. I'd of course suggest wiring 'em or it up on a relay for consistancy. Pops very well for me  :woo:

Most mopars that have the lock cylinder behind the trunk latch will be able to use the trunk key, or pushbutton to pop the trunk. On 'Cudas however, since the key is offset and the latch is different, this will not work the same. So you will rely on the eletronic latch. And being my battery is in the trunk, i can pop out the top half of my back seat (i dont bolt it in, it just stays there) and unlatch it using a screwdriver.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006 - 08:29:39 AM »
The electric trunk release on a Cuda can be modifed to retain the key release function as well. Its a simple matter of fabricating a tapered pin with a 10-32 hole that will keep it in place. I did this last year on my 72 Cuda and both key and switch release both work great

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=12032.0   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006 - 10:57:33 AM »
The electric trunk release on a Cuda can be modifed to retain the key release function as well. Its a simple matter of fabricating a tapered pin with a 10-32 hole that will keep it in place. I did this last year on my 72 Cuda and both key and switch release both work great

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=12032.0   

Cool deal. I dont have much experience in fabricating, and also my battery kill switch is going where my key cylinder is so i wont be able to use it on my car particularly. Any pictures of the modified setup?  :2thumbs:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006 - 05:03:20 PM »
Its already installed but I can snap off a few pics. If I remember correctly, I used the threaded end of a bolt and tapered it to match the rectangular tapered hole in the latch mechanism. It might seem crude to some folks and definitely could be improved upon but works very well.

MRT 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger