Author Topic: 4 speed rebuild ?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
4 speed rebuild ?
« on: June 27, 2006 - 06:24:19 PM »
How possible is it for someone like me to rebuild my own 4 speed. I ain't afraid of it.  I ain't excessivly stupid. (ok that one's questionable) and like most everyone else I'm not cursed with ten thumbs.
Point is, I've been watching for a spare A833 because I have 2nd and 4th issues.  To get into 2nd I have to pull back hard and hold (and sometimes that doesn't work) and sometimes at low speeds or going down hill it will come out of 4th. So I kind of thought that rather than spending $400 or more on a used trans that I could wait till winter, pull it out and rebuild it myself.   Ok now it's your turn... can the average garage junkie do this?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: 4 speed rebuild ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006 - 09:56:15 PM »
Everything's possible Romi.  Get yourself a Chassis manual and a rebuild kit from a company like Mancini and you're ready to go.

Here is a link to a company that sells the synchronizer and stop ring kits. You also need the gasket set.

Rob

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/MoparPerformancetransmissionparts.htm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006 - 10:03:28 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006 - 12:02:44 AM »
it takes a while to know what to look for
I can get complete brg kits for $120 or so , it comes with gaskets & thrust washers too
 the hard part is the dummy shaft to load the counter shaft brgs & thrust washers
 basically it is not hard to do , I built 3 last week & 2 in one night
slipping ouit of gear is generally worn gears , Passon has ever part to rebuild , Brewers has most parts too but not new gears 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006 - 06:12:25 AM »
I have the chassis manual and I have been to Passion's site and saw that they had everything you'd need. I guess the two things that I'm unsure about are...
1) Are there any special tools that would be required?
2) How do you recognize what needs to be replaced and what is ok to keep and use? And what parts should be replaced regardless of their condition (besides gaskets and seals)

Is there a recommeded repair guide or something like that?

By the way, thanks for responding you guys.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006 - 07:53:51 AM »
When you take off your side cover and look inside you'll see all of the worn teeth on the synchros.  The locks, you can't really check till you pull it apart.  The clearances are all in the manual.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006 - 10:07:05 AM »
you need snap ring pliers , for the beveled end snap rings , no holes , some use snap rings with holes
the face of the syncros where the keys slide into them may be gouged [when lying flat on a table it will face upward , cone down , hard to explain ]

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Swedefish

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 - 12:22:12 PM »
Wasn`t there an article in Mopar Muscle Mag recently about how to rebuild your 4-speed?
I beleave, in the june -06 issue.