Author Topic: a/c E-bodys  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Mopar73340

Re: a/c E-bodys
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006 - 01:23:08 PM »
thanks for the replys. I think classic air is closed for the week, hopefully, they will be at carisle. But what im lookin for is a set up like the way way the factory did,  in the stock locations , my car has a/c from the factory, but what i want is the same type condenser, and the way the factory ran the hoses, I just want a easy bolt in deal, some times i do not want to use my brain power to figure something out. I like EASY!!! but idont know if anybody does that??? does anybody know??

DO you have the original lines??  If not it will be more difficult to run like the factory did. See this link..http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=21571.0, I list here where to get the condenser and bracket for the compressor. If you need more info pm me.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006 - 06:42:37 PM »
mopar73340,  i do have the original lines and condenser, but cant use them becauese in very bad shape. U look like u have the original style  condenser? if so, who has them, that is what i want to do too mine, the original routing of the lines and condenser.  I will be at carlisle this weekend, hopefully somebody will have that set up on there car.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006 - 05:42:52 AM »
Hi
I have an un-restored 71 Challenger R/T which seems to be an all original car. The A/C is currently disconnected, condensor and drier removed, but all other stuff is in place. Se attached pictures and hope they help. If you need more info, please let me know.
The connecting pipes that go inside the car go in hte first 2 holes just to the right of the blower fan motor.
Although the original compressor seems to be ok, but having read this thread, I am tempted to replace the compressor with a more modern one as suggested by Robb :dunno:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006 - 10:49:23 PM by Rev-It-Up »
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline inot2old

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006 - 04:13:41 PM »
If you are going to install AC in a non AC car, do you need an AC dash.  I would like to put AC in my Chally that didn't come with it.  Do the aftermarket kits have dash controls also or do you need to find old ones?
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006 - 05:04:45 PM »
If you are going to install AC in a non AC car, do you need an AC dash.  I would like to put AC in my Chally that didn't come with it.  Do the aftermarket kits have dash controls also or do you need to find old ones?

First let me say I'm happy to of met you this weekend.  :ylsuper: I'm embarrassed to say this, but it took me alooong time to figure out your name. I thought it was in-ot-2old.  :-\  Yep, I'm not too good at figuring out those vanity plates where people try to spell words or phrases either.  :banghead:

In answer to your question, after-market systems can come with the vents mounted under the dash on a non-AC car. I have seen it, but I'm not sure the look is for me. The controls would also come with it too. I want to go this direction, but I think it's beyond me.  :walkaway:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006 - 02:56:18 AM »
William, your best bet is to find an original old dash in good condition. There are other issues you will need to look at when installing an A/C. The blower will need to be changed and the pipes going to it (from the bottom of the firewall) will have to be blocked and new pipes will have to go in from the top. There is a place for them pre-punched but still in place, for you to knock the metal out and pass the new pipes. A;so the control panel for the blower will need to be changed etc.

Cheers, Farouk
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006 - 05:28:00 AM »
Here is the literature sheet from Classic Auto Air. This is their "Perfect Fit" system and is desinged for an original AC car. It uses all the same vents but replaces almost everything else. They and Vintagair make universal systems that will work but are designed for non AC cars. Their vents appear below the dash.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006 - 05:30:31 AM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006 - 10:00:17 AM »
I added factory A/C to my non air RT. I had to find donor cars and take everything including the dash. I think it took parts from 4 different cars to complete it.

In my Cuda I'm building as a driver, all of the AC stuff was missing. It was a factory 340 A/C car in the pic below.  I went junk yard shopping and got a late model compressor, condenser and lines from a 79? Grand Fury 318 for $75.
I'll only have to have 2 ends put on for the firewall connection's original fittings. I'll send the pics as the get modified. 
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006 - 07:41:52 AM »
Shelbydog, I like what you are doing. The under the dash vents do not look as good, and it is much nicer if you have access to the correct fittings. Good luck.

Miketyler, thanks for posting thae literature from Classic Auto Air. Pls verify one thing, in the second picture where they show the hoses through the glove compartment opening. Does this mean you cannot use the compartment any more or they just removed it to show the pipes? It is not too clear from the photo.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006 - 09:33:03 AM »
I have the Classic Auto Air kit and still have to install it.  However, the instructions say that the glove box will go back in and work fine.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006 - 09:39:25 AM »
I talked to them last year at the Mopar Nats.  It was a very nice system for $1095.  Is that still the going price?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006 - 10:04:06 AM »
Yes, the glovebox doesnt change but it will swap out the OEM AC plenum for theirs. I believe the blower motor is built in th the Classic Air box so there has to be a blanking plate where the firewall mounted blower motor went.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006 - 09:11:18 AM »
Hey, who ever wants the factory style a/c condenser,  this place in california, u have to go too e-bay, its called cssautoparts,  just got mine and looks just like the original, 119.00bucks. now im all set