Author Topic: Hood and FENDER FIT and adjustment on the Cuda  (Read 9388 times)

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Re: Hood and FENDER FIT and adjustment on the Cuda
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006 - 12:15:37 PM »
A job I'm not looking foward too, been playing around a little bit & found I have major issues with my body work(did a lot of it with panels off the car) hopefully I can at least get close,it's frustrating, fix one thing & like jeff said, it messes up another! Good luck, Rich.

Offline Sublime1970

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006 - 07:05:37 PM »
i got this message too!  I get the idea however,  that patience is the key to this process thats why i didnt even attempt this weekend, i went to carlisle instead, what a beautiful collection of cars.

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006 - 12:42:31 PM »
I had the same problem.  Chris helped and got it MUCH better but we both weren't satisfied and knew that the one person that could do it would arrive shortly, Chryco.  He got the hood dead on on the second try (about 3 minutes). 
To get the hood right, you will need 2 people.  One person to loosen the hinge botls while another person holds the hood in adjustment.
I would loosen all 6 hinge bolts and close the hood to be sure it can lay flat.  After confirming it is possible, one person should lift up on the edge of the hood causing the single bolt slot to raise while the 2 botl slots in teh back lower, your helper will then tighten down the bolts.  from there it is a matter of trail and error, but at some point you will be barely loosen the rear top bolt so it can be a pivot point. 
I can try to explain better if needed and post a pic.  Maybe Chryco will read this and offer his advice as mine maybe confusing.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006 - 04:25:08 PM »
here's an illustration of my current hood fitment issue:

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006 - 05:16:47 PM »
Schim the fenders??? :clueless:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006 - 06:00:05 PM »
Mike, can you get me a couple pics of both sides,front and back edges and an overall shot taken from the front from a few feet above the hood?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006 - 05:39:36 AM »
Here's a couple of side shots.

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006 - 09:09:40 AM »
MikeTyler, as MyMopar has already stated, you should have another person to help you with the alignment process.  I helped a friend reinstall his hood and you really need to take your time to get things right. (and not chip the new paint)  What I'd try to do is first have all the bolts loosened up, then have your helper pull completely upward on the front of the hood.  Then retighten the rear bolts and let the helper lower the hood some on the front and tighten the bolts.  Slowly bring the hood down until you either hit the latch mechanism or you see it'll hit somewhere on the fenders first.  Just continue adjusting the bolts little by little until you get it working properly. (I know it sounds much easier than it is, but take your time and it'll work out well.) :2thumbs:  Best of luck!
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006 - 09:16:51 AM »
From the pictures it looks like you need to cntinue adjusting.  I would suggest removing the hood pin pin to make the process easier and safer.  As stated earlier, you really do need an extra person to help. I tried to do mine by myself with no luck.  It does take some time to get it riht but as long as you remember how it moved when you make an adjustment you will catch on quickly on what direction it needs to be moved to get it right.
Perhaps some type of grease pen, crayon or chalk to mark where the washer sits so you can see how much it has moved and what actually has moved.  Lots of good advice in this thread.  :thumbsup:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006 - 09:20:44 AM »
 :iagree: with these guys.  Don't forget that the latch mechanism itself will adjust too along with the bump stops on the front.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006 - 06:01:38 PM »
 :iagree: The latch and bumpers will set the height in the front but do that last and actually I like to adjust doors and hoods with the strikers/latch removed so that they don`t falsly influence the fit.Your drivers side needs to be dropped down some more at the rear,hard to tell on the pass side but it looks like it needs the same,try get the height close by dropping the hinges before adjusting the front to back gap.You may have worn hinges which will cause some of the lifting in the back.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006 - 07:31:03 PM »
I will check but I believe both hinges are down all the way
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger