Stripping Paint

Author Topic: Stripping Paint  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Srobinson4

Stripping Paint
« on: July 07, 2006 - 09:35:23 PM »
How practical is it to strip your car yourself?  What is the down side if time is no issue.  Also how difficult is this project?  It it true that once the car is stripped it must be immediately primed?

SRR

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006 - 10:30:44 PM »
I strip the bodies down but I live in Arizona.  I can leave the paint off for months  :eek4:

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006 - 01:40:31 AM »
haha and welcome to hell.  I just finished stripping mine.  First of all if you are stripping the car look for airplane stripper (I picked mine up from Pepboys for $26.00 a gallon) because this is works the best.  Second, I don't know where your located but I am in NY and found stripping in the summer is the best for me.  Reason being the metal is warm enough, I did a car last year in the cold and what a pain it was.  Also after you strip the car you do NOT need to prime it right away.  The way I did mine was scrapped and stripped the car and then put a really really really light coat and then used a metal scrubby and scrubbed the rest of it off.  The light coat will actual act as a barrier from rust.  Good luck and have fun, oh and I would wear a long sleeve shirt because you know when the stripper hits your skin you will feel it. 
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006 - 06:41:11 AM »
Bare steel will start rusting immediatly even though you may not see it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Ravage

• 1974 318 'Cuda
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 - 06:51:03 AM »
The way I have been going about it is to use a power brush for removing the paint and filler ,after every couple panels I go over it with a DA sander and prime what I have so far.Reasons for that method are that there is too much mud for the stripper and my compressor doesn't have the endurance to run the DA long enough.Also using an epoxy primer for this stage just to cover the bare metal then I'll move on to the cheaper high build primer.Sure is a pain but the money I save in this stage will go towards top notch paint and I already recruited my neighbor to shoot it in a booth for me.

"I flipped off a box of kittens once..." (Tycho on being evil)

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006 - 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks for all advise.  I live in Daytona Beach, Florida.  What is your opinion regarding stripping in this wet summer climate.  Also can this job be done in a regular garage.  I like other members would like to do as much as i can myself and put more money into quality body work and a paint job.

Offline Ravage

• 1974 318 'Cuda
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006 - 06:41:13 PM »
I prime what I have every 2-3 days if I can.I just use the power brush to start then when I am ready to prime I go over everything with the DA sander.The epoxy primer should address any of that super tiny can't see rust ,so as long as it looks shiny before I shoot it I feel comfortable.I realy havent seen any difference in the metal that has sat for a few days so I think you'll be alright if you were to even just strip in your spare time during the week and sand/prime every weekend.  Given my equipment and the ammount of mud I am removing that's my personal strategy.I am doing this in a regular 2 car garage ,so dusty I move the car out every week and sweep up giant piles of dust but it can be done. :2cents:

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006 - 09:42:22 PM »
Ravage thanks for your help.  If I don't have the DA sander and the other tools you spoke of , how much of this can be done by hand?  What tools are needed?

SRR

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 - 04:22:44 AM »
You will be fine,just prime it as soon as you can.Doing everything by hand will take you a lot of time.If you don`t have an air compressor you can buy an electric sander that will work ok but you will be stuck with spray cans for primer which is not the best base for a good pant job.Do you have a painter lined up yet?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Ravage

• 1974 318 'Cuda
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006 - 07:43:05 AM »
Of the many ways to go about it ,I am fond of using the brush for most of my work because it does not heat the metal or remove any metal at all ,opposed to a sanding disk. www.harborfreight.com (Harbor Freight USA 874 N. NOVA RD. DAYTONA BEACH, FL  32117 )is a good store for cheap tools ,but be mindfull that you get what you pay for.If you buy a $20 grinder don't be suprised when it craps out ,I recommend dewalt™ grinders because I use them at work all the time and they have been good to me.If you just use spray cans for the primer you can just spray what you clear every day so that's not a large issue.When/if you get to the point of bondo ,proper application can keep things in the realm of manual labor.Sandpaper and a long body file will be your new best friends.I have been working on my car on average at least one hour a day and after 3 weeks I'm almost half done stripping.Hope your good at tedious work.Good luck  :thumbsup: