Author Topic: steering off center after reassembly  (Read 5770 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
steering off center after reassembly
« on: July 09, 2006 - 06:37:37 AM »
So how can that be? I had everything apart and throughout reassembly, flound that everything is keyed to go only one way. I dont think I ever had the pitman arm off of the steering gear sector. I would assume it has a master spline and will only go on one way as well. Any thoughts? My steering wheel is at about a 1:00 position with the wheels straight.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: steering off center after reassembly
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006 - 10:36:46 AM »
I scoured the manual & GOOGLED it & found no refererence.  :popcorn:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006 - 10:38:45 AM »
Did you have the column all the way out?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006 - 10:42:11 AM »
yup, replaced the ignition switch, and all. Did I miss something on reassembly?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 - 10:51:10 AM »
Just took a look at mine & it seems to me the steering column coupler could easily be installed a tooth or two off. I would turn my wheels lock to lock noteing each time how far the steering wheel travels, maybe mark with a piece of tape, and if each direction was equal, prooving that the box is set up properly, adjust the position of the coupling.  :dunno: Just my idea.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 - 10:55:01 AM »
No, I'm pretty sure the coupler is master splined where it will only go on one way. That would correctly index the shaft to the gearbox. The steering wheel can is masterspined at the hub so it will only go one way. Of course, the steering wheel will only mount one way onto the can. I am at a loss as to how this has occured.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 - 11:33:36 AM »
Mike, mine is sitting in the shop right now waiting for a steering gear that I didn't really need.  The local mechanic told me my steering gear was bad and had to be replaced. I did it but when I was done, I was still off even with a different gear box.  I studied it for quite a while  before I found a reference in the Chassis manual that showed my that my coupling was upside down.  The groove on the coupling should be on top. Mine was on the bottom. That being wrong, the gear box had to be turned 1/2 turn to match then the tie rod ends were adjusted to straignten the wheels, DS all the way in, PS all the way out. It drove great but I couldn't make a full right and the tire would hit the frame on a full left.  The chassis manual clearly shows the roll pin hole on the inner fender side of the gear box so I flipped the coupling and everything lined up.  The index on the gear box worm shaft should be at the top. I don't know if this helps or not. Maybe your's is something else and it's not as far off or maybe farther off.  I'd try to help more if I knew more about your setup.  I'm not a mechanic but after 3 r&r's I'm pretty intimate with my steering system.
Ron

Offline ROMI

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006 - 11:36:56 AM »
By the way, Bullitt is right it should turn 3 1/2 turns in both directions.  I have to admit that I had the most help from Dennis at Firm Feel on this. He's the one that pointed out that the index on the gear box should be striaght up at 12:00.
He also said that when he has trouble lining things up, he adjusts the tied rod ends so that they're even and the wheels are straight, then sets the gear box worm gear at center (3.5 turns each way and 12:00) and then looks for where it might be off.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006 - 11:41:02 AM by ROMI »

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 - 11:55:37 AM »
Thanks for all that info. I dont remeber now when I got the car originally if it was off. That was two years ago and I put very few miles on it before I tore it down. My master spline is on top at 12:00 as it should be. I remeber thinking that it was a good idea to put it there as it eases reassembly.

I guess i need to get the front end up in the air and confirm the geometry. Maybe I have more travel one way than the other? Will have to ck that out
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006 - 08:20:37 AM »
Sorry, I'm just catching up on this one, just found it.

Mike, When you assembled your Coupler on the box (2 flats,spring,grease on end of the shaft)  did you line up the 12 o'clock position on the wheel with your 12 o'clock master spline?

50/50 chance of getting it wrong if you don't know to look.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006 - 03:34:06 PM »
Yes, actually, I think it will only go one way. I am not sure about the pitman arm but I think that every break point on the steering column assy is keyed or master splined to only go one way. At least thats what I seemed to recollect when I was putting the assy back together 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ROMI

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006 - 03:55:11 PM »
My cross shafts do have more than one index, for what reason I don't know because if you put your steering arm on the wrong index mark there is no way that you can get it into the tie rod and have it even close to centered.  To say it another way, there's more than one mark on the cross shaft but if you use the wrong one, you'll know it right away.
You know, when I first put mine back in, I did slip the steering column on about 2 teeth off, I noticed it before I snugged everything down and corrected it. I know you said you checked it but the mark on my coupling was not very accurate.
If your saying that everything else is straight then why don't you just slip the steering column off and move it to the left about 2 teeth. ( I hope I'm understanding you correctly, I'd hate to be confusing the issue even more.)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006 - 07:30:43 PM »
I was pretty sure there was a master spline on the coupler and the steering shaft would only go in one way and the steering box input shaft would only go in one way. At the steering wheel end, the shaft has a master spline that matches up withthe crush can and it will only go on one way.

This has puzzled me because it would seem that all the column assembly parts are indexed to go only one way. I guess I'l have to pull it apart and confirm for sure. I definitely have something jacked up.    :1zhelp:  :clueless:  :1zhelp:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006 - 10:00:31 PM »
If you didn't break the adjustment on the tie rods and ends, could you have swapped assemblies from side to side?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006 - 02:26:22 AM »
the coupler is master splined & you have it on right , , the steering wheel is not off by much if it is at 1:00  so all that is needed is to shorten 1 tie rod & lengthen the other in equal # of turns to center up the steering wheel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t