Author Topic: steering off center after reassembly  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: steering off center after reassembly
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006 - 12:26:00 AM »
there is a snap ring on the back of the crush can that cancells the turn signals , it may be in the wrong position

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006 - 12:31:44 AM »
Here are lots of steering column pics if you need them......

http://www.lamopar.com/How%20To%27s/Steering%20Column/index1.htm
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006 - 06:16:53 AM »
the turn signal issue is related to the off center position. Once its corrected it should be good to go. Should have the car back this week - no more primered fender!

MRT
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007 - 05:39:23 AM »
CP was spot-on this solution; was indeed a simple matter of lengthening/shortening tie rods. Also, I was surprised at how much change you can get from as little as a half turn of the rod. The wheel was at 1:00 to 1:30, I added 4 turns in the CCW direction and that resulted in a 9:00 position wheel.  Wow!

Anyhow; with a little trial and error method, I corrected my condition with only 1.5 turns. I probably need to get it on a machine when I get the new wheels and tires but should be good for now. Thanks CP and everyone else that offered suggestions!

MRT   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007 - 08:05:49 AM »
was indeed a simple matter of lengthening/shortening tie rods.

This is also a gotcha done by some lazy alignment techs who don't want to adjust both tie rods. By turning only one tie rod, you can get the alignments into spec, but it pushes the steering wheel out of center, as you found out. Both tie rods must be adjusted together to get correct alignment and allow the steering wheel to remain centered.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009 - 02:30:38 PM »
Yes, my wheel sits at about 2 oclock, and I am sure it should only need a couple turns on one tie rod, and matching turns on the other side. I'll have it done when I get a couple new tires.
But I wanted to research my problem to confirm my thoughts, and reading this thread scared me at first. Seems sometimes you cant see the forest because of the tree in front of you...or is it the other way around?  :bigsmile:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....