Author Topic: TOTAL newb  (Read 2179 times)

Offline TheBDU

TOTAL newb
« on: July 17, 2006 - 05:23:45 PM »
Well, I'm gonna buy a new car soon and there's nothing i want more than a challanger or cuda.  Before I make my decision, I am very new to the whole mopar scene (first car actually) and I was wondering what the main differences between the two are?  I know the challenger has a longer wheelbase, but what exactly does that do for handling, etc.  Are there any other differences I should know about?.  I'm thinking of getting a 70-71 cuda or challenger, any help would be appreciated.

thanks for your input :)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Re: TOTAL newb
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006 - 05:46:25 PM »
E bodies, especially the 70-71s, cost alot of money, even in very rough shape.  Challengers are generally cheaper, but not by very much.  As for performance differences, those are pretty much minimal between the 2 cars, so I wouldn't look to that to be the deciding factor in which one you get.  I'd go for whichever one you think looks better, or whichever one is more affordable.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006 - 05:46:46 PM »
Welcome aboard here.  :wave:

70-71 are most desireable in either cars. That makes them a little tougher to get, especially if they have a big block in them.  The differences are minor, and it pretty much is up to your tastes. Alot of parts don't interchange. All I can tell you is they are great cars.  :2thumbs:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 - 08:24:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you're in for some fun.  If I were you, I'd look at as many pics as I could to decide which body style you prefer.  After that, get on the hunt.  Like the previous guys have said, 70 and 71's are the most popular and most expensive.  The 72 - 74's are more reasonable.  The major differences in the years are grills, tail panels, and engine sizes (the big blocks were gone after 71).  When you find a car you are interested in getting, post pics of it here and we can give you honest opinions about price, how much work it will take, etc. 

Glad to have you on board!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006 - 08:59:58 AM »
Welcome to cc.com!  Hope you find what you're looking for!!  Enjoy the site!!    :2thumbs:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006 - 09:52:39 AM »
E bodies, especially the 70-71s, cost alot of money, even in very rough shape.  Challengers are generally cheaper, but not by very much.  As for performance differences, those are pretty much minimal between the 2 cars, so I wouldn't look to that to be the deciding factor in which one you get.  I'd go for whichever one you think looks better, or whichever one is more affordable.

:iagree:  Welcome, TheBDU !

I agree with what everyone's said.   You have to think how much $$$ you want to spend. 

Is it going to be a daily driver?  Might want a small block the way gas prices are going.  :roflsmiley:   Sorry, I have big block envy!  (I have a 340 in my '72.)

Look around locally for deals, check www.craigslist.org for your area.

I found my '72 in decent shape in New Hampshire in 2003 for $4,000.  The way you see it in my avatar is the way I got it, minus the Magnum 500 wheels. 

Just be patient and you'll find something!  Have fun!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline TheBDU

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006 - 03:27:06 PM »
Thanks so much for your input.....I've decided on the 70 challenger...yea, im a broke college student, so im gonna have to try to find a great bargain.  do the 70-74 all have the same general body?  if so, i can just get a cheaper 72-74 and buy a 70 grill and taillights later.  I don't really care about having it all original anyway.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006 - 05:15:01 PM »
I like your choice of a 70 Chally(imagine that).  :lol: Trying to convert a 72-74 into a 70 is a big task. Yes, they have the same body style. It just takes someone good with cutting and welding to pull it off. The grills and tail panels are different, along with the side marker lenses.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006 - 06:16:34 PM »
Welcome to the site, TheBDU! :wave:  I'd say you can still find a fair deal on '70-'71 Challengers, but you definitely may want to consider the somewhat cheaper '72-'74 models.  You can still drop a big block in any of the later year models, or keep a small block under the hood if you'd like. (mine will be getting a modified 340)  I'd say whatever option you decide to do, you should always be able to get your money out of the car, in case you ever find yourself in a bind.  The '72-'74 cars are continuing to rise in value, so they too are a great investment opportunity (and a fun one at that) if you cannot find a '70 to your liking. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 70nos340 barracuda

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006 - 07:47:24 PM »
hello! i am a newbie also and if u can't find what u want here u won't find it!

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006 - 11:25:57 PM »
You Made The RIGHT Decision !! The Challenger is a way better car !!! :bricks1:

:swear: :stomp: :swear: :stomp: ok stop already..I was just kidding :thumbsup:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Oldschool

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006 - 04:02:30 PM »
Welcome to the site BDU!   :wave:  I hope you are making progress with your Mopar search..   :thumbsup:  Keep us updated on what you end up getting.....    :cooldancing: