Author Topic: Muffler Choices  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
Muffler Choices
« on: July 26, 2006 - 06:51:59 AM »
I know there are many threads on this subject but since there are so many engine combinations out there, small block, big block, small block stock, small block beefed, big block beefed and so on, I would like to get a sample of what everyone likes and dislikes about their mufflers. What about that rumble at 2000 RPM's and so on. What kind of difference after you added your HP mufflers etc. Please chime in! I've been reading a lot of reviews on this subject and the one that keeps coming up is the Flowmaster Super 40 series. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I just need to ad the mufflers so I can tune it, work on it and move it around without fear of getting the local Sheriff knocking on my door. It's running TTI 2" OD primary, 2-1/8" secondary, with 3-1/2" collectors behind a 500 stroker, planning on running 3" exhaust. I'm just going to put the mufflers on her for now. My preference is deep and loud but not illegal. Thanks!  :worshippy

Here's the link for the one I am considering. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_141_162&products_id=3442
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006 - 07:05:30 AM by Plum6Pak »

Offline PistolGrip440-6

Re: Muffler Choices
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006 - 01:04:02 PM »
I like the sound of flowmasters. but everyone has them. 3 out of every 4 musclecars have the same sound, while some might be loiuder than others, and for some people thats fine, btu I dont like it. My ideal mufflers would actually be a set of old Hush Thrushes, which would not only give off the sound I want, they would make it less noisy at idle which would be good since I plan to drive my car everyday except when there is snow/salt on the road. Theyre really hard to find though, and when you do find them for sale they are often 2 inch inlet and outlet or sometimes like 1 7/8. I need at least 2 1/4 and prefer 2 1/2. Anyway, some mufflers in production now that I like a Pypes Violaters. Boy, they couldnt have picked a better name for those suckers. They are pretty loud at idle, and when you get your foot into it it sounds like all hell is breaking loose, theyre great!

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006 - 01:40:41 PM »
I got a set of Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series 2 1/2 center in/out. These will be going on my '67 International with a 304 V-8 and a 4 speed manual with floor shifter. I will be putting on an H pipe crossover. I would have had everything already on it, but the pipes are rusted, and I've decided to just run all new pipe.... Something aint expected..... I've still have yet to deicde how I want the pipes to exit the truck.... As in, in front of the rear tires out the side, or behind the tires out the side, this truck is primarily used for pulling stuff behind it, so no rear exit exhuast, hate to get and "smut" and stuff on whatever is behind it....

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006 - 01:56:16 PM »
I am also running the Delta Flow 50 Series on the Beast.  3" stuff.  Nice sound at idle and at normal cruising throttle.  It gets REAL LOUD, real quick when you get into the throttle.  Part of the sound is probably the rectangular TTi tips at the exhaust exit.  I like the sound most of the time, but a little too loud when you hit the big pedal........   I guess knowing how loud it is has kept me from driving like a fool and getting caught by the law.  With the volume the Beast puts out at full throttle, it's kinda hard to be stealthy.................    Oldschool

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006 - 02:21:13 PM »
Well here is my experience.  On my 69 Charger w/440 I ran a 3" exhaust, Hooker Super Comp. headers and Flowmaster 40's.  HATED it after 1 day.  Oh it was cool and all that, nice and loud people would stare and point and then lights would flash.  Never understood that part.  Couldn't come home late at night and not wake up the entire neighborhood, and that's at idle.  Loud may be for some, but for me it isn't everything.  At crusie speeds you couldn't even think and a long trip would consist of 30 mins because by then you would have had enough.  Didn't really drive the car much becuase of that.  Some people say the 3" pipes is what caused a lot of resonace in the interior and others agreed with that and said the mufflers didn't help.

So fast forward to my Challenger, put a 440 in it, hedman headers and a 2.5" exhaust.  I'm running Magnoflow mufflers and LOVE it!  NIce rumble at idle, whn you hit the gas, people know you have something under the hood, once on the highway at cruising speed, it is a nice mellow tone, not to waery, drove the 6.5 hours to Carlisle w/o it being a problem.  Not sure if it is the smaller pipe size and the mufflers, but it is pretty quiet in the interior, but has a nice sound when standing behind the car.  Best bet would be a nice quiet exhaust and some electric operated cut-outs!  Hmmm, who has that now?  :biggrin:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006 - 02:47:03 PM »
Oldschool,

When you start The Beast up, people stop dead in their tracks.  :sly: That is one MEAN sounding car. That might have something to do with the little engine up front.  :lol:  :burnout:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006 - 03:24:50 PM »
Well here is my experience.  On my 69 Charger w/440 I ran a 3" exhaust, Hooker Super Comp. headers and Flowmaster 40's.  HATED it after 1 day.  Oh it was cool and all that, nice and loud people would stare and point and then lights would flash.  Never understood that part.  Couldn't come home late at night and not wake up the entire neighborhood, and that's at idle.  Loud may be for some, but for me it isn't everything.  At crusie speeds you couldn't even think and a long trip would consist of 30 mins because by then you would have had enough.  Didn't really drive the car much becuase of that.  Some people say the 3" pipes is what caused a lot of resonace in the interior and others agreed with that and said the mufflers didn't help.

So fast forward to my Challenger, put a 440 in it, hedman headers and a 2.5" exhaust.  I'm running Magnoflow mufflers and LOVE it!  NIce rumble at idle, whn you hit the gas, people know you have something under the hood, once on the highway at cruising speed, it is a nice mellow tone, not to waery, drove the 6.5 hours to Carlisle w/o it being a problem.  Not sure if it is the smaller pipe size and the mufflers, but it is pretty quiet in the interior, but has a nice sound when standing behind the car.  Best bet would be a nice quiet exhaust and some electric operated cut-outs!  Hmmm, who has that now?  :biggrin:

The 40 series is a 2 chamber and have more interior noise, but the 50 series is a 3 chamber setup, not as much noise, and they are quieter, the more chambers, the quieter, plus the new Delta Flow series Flowmasters are supposed to have quieter interior noise b/c of there design, versus there old design, but you're supposed to still get the same exterior sound as the old design "or so they say" but I've heard my dads F-150 SuperCrew with 4.6 and Flowmaster 50 series, and it aint bad, but then again, for whatever reason Mopars seem to be louder than any other make with the same exhuast setup...... So all this may have something to do with it....

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006 - 03:53:04 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Here is a link to the 50 series Flowmaster, is this what would do the trick for the big block? I don't mind loud but I don't want obnoxious! LOL, how could a loud Mopar be obnoxious! Anyway, thanks again, any further comments are sure welcome. Here's the link for the Delta Flow 50 Series.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3421

Now, when I decide for sure which ones to buy, where did you all get yours? I'm considering Jegs, they have 2nd day free shipping and their prices are good as well. Any others? Thanks again.  :worshippy

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006 - 04:50:57 PM »
Glen,

Those are some big pipes running behind a hefty engine. I'm thinking maybe the 50 series might be your ticket. That is alot of noise to quite down.  :grinyes:  :burnout:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006 - 05:50:07 PM »
My muff's and H pipe kit that I got for my truck are from Summit Racing....

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
    • American car and truck forums
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006 - 05:59:41 PM »
I don't like the flowmaster sound, really. Fresh glasspacks seem to sound the best......
I have a set of Hooker aerochambers on my 82 D300, and really like them.
I have also seen the independent tests lately on the flowmasters, and, if you are looking fo rflow, they don't flow as well as the others.

I put a set of some "Terminator" mufflers on a 396 powerd chev truck, they were like 54$ each, loked like a flowmaster, and the sound was pretty nice too. No clue who makes them, I burned the boxes last night in the burn barrel.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006 - 11:26:39 PM »
I like the sound & quality of Hooker Aeros too

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dimples

• (dodgetkboy78)
    • American car and truck forums
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006 - 01:52:05 AM »
Yeah, a flowmaster sounds like you are running your exhaust into a trash can, to me, the hookers sound more mellow, and less tinny.

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006 - 01:13:17 PM »
Not sure if this is a fair comparison but here is a video file with sound of the flowmasters on the Charger w/440.  3" pipes.
http://www.mymopar.net/temp/chargerquick.wmv

1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline hookem78613

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006 - 04:41:20 PM »
I have Flowmaster 50's behind mine and they sound great..  Even a 383 sounds like it'll rip your face off!

74 Barracuda Drag Car - Big Block /727
68 Charger R/T - 440 Stroker / 727