Author Topic: AC to NON AC  (Read 1846 times)

Offline SwissCuda

AC to NON AC
« on: July 28, 2006 - 04:39:02 PM »
Hello. I am trying to convert my A/C Cuda (1970) into no A/C.
Do you have firewall pictures of non A/C cuda. It seems to me that it's slight different and I would like to know exactly how to do correct bodywork.
Moreover: does a no A/C heater box fit or there are other changes that I should take into account?

Many thanks

SwissCuda

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: AC to NON AC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006 - 05:54:26 PM »

Not too sure.  :clueless: Here is a photo of my 73 'Cuda's firewall.
Factory A/C car since been removed by previous owner(s).

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline inot2old

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 - 07:25:46 PM »
Thats funny, I am trying to do the opposite with my '70 Challenger.  Go from no A/C to A/C.  I think you have the easier job.  The bodies are just the same, so parts interchange.  The A/C firewall just has some extra holes.  It looks like on NZ's car they were just covered up.  The blower motors are differant, but the non A/C heater box should go in with no problem if you have the right blower motor.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006 - 07:46:25 PM »
SwissCuda

welcome aboard. I got to ask why do you want to switch to Non-AC?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006 - 07:53:52 PM »
If you want to make the firewall look correct and change all that is AC to Non-Ac on the dash, you will have to do some serious planning. Firewall is different. Heater control is different. The whole plenum is different. Heater core is different. Personally I would just cap of the extra lines in the firewall and eliminate the AC around the engine if you wasn't worried about correctness.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline SwissCuda

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006 - 06:51:07 AM »
I have a 440-6 with correct vin number and I want to restore it to original. As A/C was not available from factory for 440-6 somebody changed the firewall configuration during the car's life...

inot2old, do you agrre to swap very detailed pictures in order to do proper work?

NZ440R/T, previous owner didn't do correct work. Non A/C firewall is slight different.

fishn4cuda, I have correct heater control (no A/C). "plenum" what is that!?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006 - 06:56:28 AM »
NZ440R/T, previous owner didn't do correct work. Non A/C firewall is slight different.

Thanks, I know.  :2thumbs: Only had it 6 weeks, sheesh! give me a chance.  :lol2: I'll leave it, it's tidy and solid.
Besides, this is my "fun" car to do as I please and not worry about correctness being a non-#'s.

Just curious, if you knew, why did you ask?  :clueless:

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006 - 07:47:10 AM »
As A/C was not available from factory for 440-6 somebody changed the firewall configuration during the car's life...

SwissCuda,good to see you are going back to the "correct" way your car was built but my 73 challenger is a non A/C car with a 440 added and I wish I had A/C. My 440 gives off a lot of heat from the headers and Flowmasters.
On NZ's car someone got it right by just blocking off the condersor exits instead of putting a plate over them in a obviously  factory A/C car. If he ever wants to put the A/C back , its not a problem.
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006 - 08:16:16 AM »

That's a great point 71R/T.  :worshippy

Silly me, I should have said that along with the 'Cuda came the original Air Con setup.
It's a good selling point in future (if I do) to have A/C as an option if he/she prefers.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006 - 05:22:51 PM »
I made my Non-A/C car into an A/C car. You would just have to do the reverse.  I held the heater box up to the firewall and found all of the correct dimples to drill for the mounting holes. After you drill the holes and try to mount the box, you'll see where to cut additional holes for the heater lines and the blower motor. You'll also see where to add some metal to close off the huge blower motor and Refirgerant lines.   What helped me is that I traced the holes on an A/C firewall on to a piece of cardboard, then transferred it to my firewall.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline inot2old

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006 - 06:37:15 PM »
Thanks, Shelby, luckily the parts car I bought came with A/C, so I have the cowl as well as the A/C dash and interior parts.

Sorry, SwissCuda, not trying to hijack your thread.  BTW, welcome to the site, why not introduce yourself and post pics of your Cuda.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006 - 07:17:45 PM »
Hope I am not stepping on any toes by asking here, but I saw the picture of the '73 firewall, noticed the cover for the ac lines. I am looking to finish my a/c later in life, and am looking for a good way to cap the fixtures as they come out of the firewall. Any ideas as to what to use? Plugs, cover plate, line covers or whatever? Also info on any of these options would be a good thing too.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006 - 07:42:20 PM »
How about a couple of Russel A-N blue line caps?  That'll keep them sealed up and look good doing it. Go to the local speed shop and ask them what size might fit those
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0