Author Topic: One rust bucket from Finland (small update)  (Read 14424 times)

Offline ArcticCuda

• Pepe
Re: One rust bucket from Finland
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006 - 12:56:07 AM »
Terve Kapteeni!

Looks good. I think this car came from Car Koivisto?

My Gran Coupe restoration is going on. You can find pics from this forum and and from Paalupaikka -websites. Check Pepen Cuda projekti.

Pepe / Keminmaa Finland
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006 - 05:49:45 AM by ArcticCuda »
Current Vehicles:
Plymouth PPR Cuda 1970 489 cid
Plymouth GTX 1970 RS23V0E

Sorry my bad english...I'm just an european...

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006 - 01:11:37 PM »
Yeah, same car Pepe. I've allready checked your project couple of times. Saw the link on overdrive.

Looks like I'm far behind you. Still doing the everending bodywork. Hopefully some day  :burnout:.

Still got that dual snorkel aircleaner for sale? Price is lots?
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline ArcticCuda

• Pepe
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006 - 05:55:03 AM »
Hi, I sold that Air Cleaner to Sweden. Sorry. Pepe
Current Vehicles:
Plymouth PPR Cuda 1970 489 cid
Plymouth GTX 1970 RS23V0E

Sorry my bad english...I'm just an european...

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006 - 11:35:28 AM »
Ok, time to put some pics here. My gf has been so busy that our website hasn't been updated for a some while.

I have tons of pictures but I will try to post only most informative ones  :D

This post could be moved to restoration projects section too...

These are some pics of the cowl repair. Both sides of the cowl were totally busted + the firewall edge where the top piece of cowl was spot welded in. I took some liberty to change the cowl construction a bit to get around of that idiotically designed upper cowl meets the lower cowl spot weld edge. Hopefully the it won't gather the debris anymore and the rust keeps away.

Everything was painted with por15 and I will paint the connecting weld from the inside next spring when the weather warms up again (should be doable from the big holes on the top of the cowl with flash light, small paint brush and mayby a mirror).

Upper piece of the cowl was in fairly good condition, although it needed some welding too.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 - 01:08:02 PM by Kapteenikosmos »
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006 - 11:39:14 AM »
More pics from the cowl. I got it on its place very smoothly and atleast I think that it should be in right allignment.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006 - 11:42:40 AM »
Next came the prepping for the repo quarter panel. C pillar was repaired during last winter and didn't find any specific pics for that right now but the end result can be seen on pictures. I stripped the old paint of and gave it slight sand blasting before the por treatment
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006 - 11:50:39 AM »
After painting the innards of the quarterpanel the time came for getting the new panel welded in. As you can see from the pictures the repro panel was/is too long and I have to fix the rear somehow but I'll have to drop the rear off from rotissier to get enough room for valance and bumber. The upper piece of the quarterpanel where the quarter window felt goes came from a donor car, mine was totally busted from there too.

I also fixed the roof + part of driprail (I need to remake the whole passenger side driprail, will do the rest later). On the last picture the part of the drip rail molding is on its place and it seems to fit pretty good.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006 - 12:01:51 PM »
Ok, starting to get to the present situation. Last weekend I removed the drivers side quarterpanel to get access to the c pillar on that side. C pillar was in pretty bad shape and it took some time to think about where to start repairing it, also I started having little chills  :faint: because I had removed whole lot of frame support and the car is after all still on rotissier hanged from the rear leafspring mounting points. (I left the car sit for this week in vertical position to keep it from flexing. It is much stiffer in direction). I also needed to fix part of the rocker panel (did the same place on the other side of car too). Also the quarter panel got some attention.

I also painted all seams with rattlecan paint to keep the rust away until spring  when I'm going to paint the whole car with por.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006 - 12:10:23 PM »
Last pictures for now. Almost got the c pillar repaired last weekend and should get it ready with couple of more hours. (Only one day 'real' work left before I can get to the car again  :cooldancing: ) My gf also cleaned most of the paint and surface rust from the inside of the quarterpanel so it should be ready for paint during next weekend.

btw, I have to get couple of those infrared heaters which heat only area they are pointed at. I have to get the inside (wheelwell etc.) of the drivers side quarter painted so I can mount the quarterpanel back again. The weatherguy estimated that we are getting snow during weekend so the heaters are must to get the por in (even with heaters I have no clue how it will work) but I'm not going to wait till next spring without quarterpanel.

1967 six banger Mustang

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006 - 12:29:04 PM »
that is some serious work you've got going on there, it's looking good!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cudaboyandgirl

Re: One rust bucket from Finland (now with pics)
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006 - 04:13:28 PM »
Welcome :wave: :wave:
1973 Barracuda
1972 Charger
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
1974 Triumph Stag Convertible

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006 - 05:32:37 PM »
Looking Good to me nice job on the fabrication.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006 - 08:24:07 PM »
From one newbie to another: Welcome!

From now on, every time I think I have a lot of rust to repair and bodywork to do, I'm going to look at your car and thank my lucky stars that I fell into the old car hobby in Southern California.  Here's about the worst rust I have to deal with.  Not the only rust, mind you, just the worst spot on the car.

Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006 - 09:31:09 PM »
Making some nice progress there!  I probally could have sent ya some of the metal you needed if I knew when I sent the buckets... crazy where these cars rust sometimes! 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006 - 09:51:58 PM »
great work you're doing there so far. I'll be watching your work progress to learn from you.
Mike, Fremont, CA.