One rust bucket from Finland (small update)

Author Topic: One rust bucket from Finland (small update)  (Read 14416 times)

Offline SilverChally

Re: One rust bucket from Finland (now with pics)
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2006 - 01:32:45 PM »
Shop not heated?  We put a smaller woodburner in ours and burn newspaper, wood, old laminated floor and whatever... its not sealed up that great and even when its single digits outside, the garage will get up to 80 degrees!  Gets too hot!  I wouldn't be out there alot of days without it!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2006 - 02:00:46 PM »
Shop? I'm doing my car in our barn (rhymes!). The shop on background on the pics is my fathers company and no room there for my car. The shop and the barn are isolated with big sliding door which is pretty d**n heavy to lift up all the time while I'm moving between the warm side and cold side of the building but there can be never too much exercise or that's what they say.

My father produces hydraulic cylinders so I have pretty good amount of tools available, only bad part is that I have to work in cold. We have couple of cnc lathes and couple of normal ones + some other metal tooling machines. Only thing I would need but we are still missing is milling cutter. I've tried to persuade my father to get one but no luck yet.

When I brought the car home bit over year ago we had to clean up some space to the barn to get the car in. We used to have cows and that place was used to store fodder and such. It was very interesting to clean up a mess of old fodder +mice poop + everything which had laid there for atleast 20 years or so  :puke:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006 - 11:08:02 PM by Kapteenikosmos »
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Four-Forty-fied

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2006 - 02:32:47 PM »
The work you are doing to resurrect that Chally is incredible!

btw, our local luney drives lada 1200 (real musclecar from russia!)  :roflsmiley:

I've been in many Ladas. It was always after a big night out and had to take a “taxi” home. So, I’ve developed a fondness for them. No one in a Volga would pull over when I held my hand out!

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Re: One rust bucket from Finland, major update
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2007 - 11:37:43 AM »
Well, time has gone and I haven't had time to update this thread for quite a while. I've been busy at working and I'm also writing my master of science thesis at the same time and I hope that I can get the school over soon. Work on the Challenger has gone with decent pace and seems like I'm going to get it painted during this summer.

I'll try to keep the amount of pics in decent amount but let see how it goes. I already narrowed the amount of new pics to half but still have over 80 pics to go so I'll post only more interesting ones. Also dropped the pic size to 640x480 to save up the space on the server.

First pics are from the work with dash frame. I sandblasted the frame and shot some por 15 over it and also a coat of tie coat primer over areas I think that will need to be painted in interior color. Dash frame was in decent condition and the only bad places were around the glove box lid where the moisture had done some evil work. I also found rat nest under the dash pad.

Second group of pictures is from the acid trip I made  :naughty: . Well it's only mild citric acid used for removing rust from metal. The stuff worked even better than I ever imagined. I've read good thing about using citric acid on forums but it really worked like toilet in the train. There is couple of good before and after pics. Inside of the brake booster and master cylinder etc. were painted with CRC galvabrite which is aluminium+zinc paint and should offer long term protection against rust. Brake drums and outside of the brake booster were painted with por 15 and I also sprayed coat of por chassis coat black on the booster.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007 - 12:45:32 PM by Kapteenikosmos »
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2007 - 11:47:55 AM »
I also started working with the engine components to get things moving on that area too. I polished the rods and balanced each one into 1 gram margin.
As a mindless slave to the TV without my own will  :lol: I'll need to go to watch the Supernatural now and add the rest of the pictures bit later, probably tomorrow morning. Yeah yeah I know, its one of those chebby tv-series with that loysy Impala but atleast it sounds good!
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Re: One rust bucket from Finland (Major update)
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2007 - 12:43:46 PM »
Both fenders were in decent condition with some amount of rust and couple of decent sized dings. Passenger side needed more attention and I had to repair some amount of the stuctural beam on the back side. The front valance panel was pretty badly mangled and atleast the chrome molding is way beyond resurrection. I used couple of hours to straighten up the valance and got most of it back to somekind of shape but it still needs some work but it looks like it is repairable. Notice the small hammer on the pic :icon16: . I didn't have good before pics but the chrome molding shows how badly it was twisted.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2007 - 12:49:40 PM »
Looking good, keep up the hard work   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2007 - 01:00:12 PM »
Next on the list was drivers side door which had very strange hole cutted into the lower end of it. I don't know how long the hole has been there but atleast the corrosion had found a way in there. I used some lead over the bumbs and seams after welding the patch in and got it reasonable straight. After the door got some attention I worked with the area under lower door hinge.

While I'm very near of ending the metal work I also got my engine parts from machine shop!. I had the heads machined for bigger exhaust valves and milled 1.2mm off from them. The block was bored to 0.030 and all journals on the crank was turned to 0.01 in undersize. The rotating assembly was also balanced and the engine is pretty much ready for assembly now. I'll grind some of the casting roughness off from the critical areas of the block and check and smooth the oil passages etc.

More pics coming in tomorrow.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007 - 11:40:02 PM »
Seems like I forgot the pics about the front valance I mentioned above so the first pics are from it. I also fixed both drip rails but seems like I have lost the pics from those. All in all, most of the major rust repair work is now done but there is still lots of small things to do.

To stiffen up the car I fabbed set of torque boxes last weekend and I'm going to make the sub frame connectors during eastern. Boxes are made from 2mm thick steel (~0.08inch) and I'm planning on using same stuff for sub frame. I haven't welded the boxes in yet because I still need to prep and paint the areas underneath.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007 - 11:45:57 PM »
My gf is also working with the dash pad but I'll post some pics from that later on. We are fixing the cracks with fiberglass and after the shape is right we are attempting to glue and stretch a black vinyl over it. Might be waste of time but you never know. Atleast the 600$+ for new one is bit too steep for me and I don't like the idea of plastic cover over it either. With vinyl over hard fiberglass it still stays kinda soft and more natural.
1967 six banger Mustang

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2007 - 08:19:36 PM »
Your working on everything, ADD?  :roflsmiley:  Looking good, warming up over there? 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2007 - 10:53:57 PM »
Looking Good  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2007 - 10:54:38 PM »
Great progress with the car! :cheers:  That's impressive you're making all the torque boxes and stuff like that, too.  Most people just go out and buy the stuff then weld them in.  Keep up the great work and be sure to update this thread accordingly. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2007 - 08:18:11 AM »
Dude, that is awesome!  you have some pretty good fabrication skills too. 

I hope you enjoy your new hood when you get it.   :2thumbs:
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Re: One rust bucket from Finland (small update)
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2007 - 11:23:29 AM »
Time for small update this time. I have bit longer weekend coming by and hopefully I will get some serious work done but before that couple of pics from work I did two weeks ago.

Weather warmed up pretty much for some while but we got the winter back for awhile but now it is slightly warmer in ~43 degrees F and random rains. Hopefully it gets better for weekend.

Hopefully I get the car ready for primer when the hood arrives from Tubb and after that I can spend my summer vacation with the mud work and sanding  :icon16:

Something about the pics then. I didn't get any big leaps done but worked with lots of small things. Got almost all seams under the car smoothed out and some from the inside too. My gf made me a very good sandblast garment and the blasting was a joy with that when compared to my previous attempts. I got the undersides of the torque boxes sand blasted and painted with por15. I also added couple of reinforcing welds to the braces on the frame where leaf springs attaches.

I also started the work with subframe connectors but kinda fall behind my time schedule so I'll get them done and hopefully installed during next weekend. My gf traced the contours of the floorboards into cardboard. The wooden plank was used to line up things properly.

I will also throw in couple of pics from our another pony and one pic from the rear floor work I did over a year ago but seems like I haven't posted any pics from that area.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007 - 11:29:15 AM by Kapteenikosmos »
1967 six banger Mustang