Author Topic: Dutchman panel off, now what???  (Read 2018 times)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Dutchman panel off, now what???
« on: August 06, 2006 - 03:34:50 PM »
Ok, first off please refrain from laughing at a rookie bodyguy here  :grinyes: I've decided to take on the task of doing my R/T myself  :clueless: :dunno: :1zhelp:
after being insulted, and ripped off elswhere (american-classic.com  :dupe:) (another story for another thread  :swear: )
 Anyhoo, I took my rear panel off last week, now do I drill out the few factory welds, and mig up the holes? sandblast the exposed sheetmetal? prime it? then weld it? My next step?
Also where is a good place to purchase a quality dutchman panel? Year One/Sherman/Autobodyspecialties?
 Sorry for sounding like a dope, but I'm a Marine Technician, not a bodyman, so this will be a great learning experience for me.......hopefully  :grinyes:.... :bricks1: :grinno:
 I arc welded a lot when I was a machinist, and my buddy and I went half on a quality mig welder we've been screwing around with recently, so I have fairly limited experience, but some.
 Any help at all would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks much  :thumbsup:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline moparclown

• Resident
Re: Dutchman panel off, now what???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 - 04:57:51 PM »
Hey Hedkace.Start by cleaning up all surface area were welding will happen.As far as drilling those old welds out I wouldn't I would get out the 4 inch grinder and take your time cleaning any of the old panel off.Then you dont have to fill any holes.then get a panel because your gonna want to fit it first.And I always save the old parts as reference to where the factory put spot welds.Your not removing the quarters?So for acces reasons you will probably drill holes in the new panel just because it will be a lot easier weld from that side.what other problem area's are you gonna fix?the reason I ask is that if you can get the parts I will come up and give you a hand and get you started.Like I said I was planning on comming out that way in the near future and i'll make a day of it--------the Clown

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006 - 06:18:17 PM »
Ok,before you cut out the old panel....ahhh,maybe too late.....,take lots of measurements.You will need to plug weld the new panel in so drill some holes in the panel where the old spot welds were.Glass and trunk opening measuremnets would`ve been nice but since the other parts have not been cut out you should be OK.Autobody Specialties is a good palce for parts although most any auto body supply store will have access to the same parts.You are doing this work outside so as soon as you finish welding and grinding an area prime it with a good two part primer(not Laquer based) unless you intend to media/sand blast the whole car when the metal work is ready.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006 - 10:37:44 AM »
I did it and it was a piece of cake,use weld thru primer on the ends where you weld.Buy a spot weld drill bit(cheap on epay)drill out the holes and weld in the new panel,i didnt have to do any measuring,the dutch panel is a direct replacement so i dont know why you would have to.Yes you should sand blast the whole area.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006 - 10:38:42 AM »
One more
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006 - 11:47:24 AM »
A little trick too,when you are welding the panel back in from the under side(mine was much easier with the trunk floor out since i could get to it from underneeth)Put some wet towels on top of the dutch panel to help keep you from welding thru it on the topside
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 - 02:05:22 PM »
A little trick too,when you are welding the panel back in from the under side(mine was much easier with the trunk floor out since i could get to it from underneeth)Put some wet towels on top of the dutch panel to help keep you from welding thru it on the topside
I'll have to remember that. That's to keep the heat from burning through the panel.  Any issues with penetration doing that or possible warping?
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 - 03:03:14 PM »
I'll have to remember that. That's to keep the heat from burning through the panel.  Any issues with penetration doing that or possible warping?
There is plenty of issues,the trick is to get a piece of scrap metal and practice on it for your heat and wire speed settings,once you get it dialed in for that thickness of metal you should be good.I always er on the side of caution and do short bursts remembering not to leave it in one place too long,just long enuf to tack it good.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 - 06:36:44 PM »
First of all, Thanks a million all of you  :worshippy  :cheers:
 I'll take a little bit from all of the individual knowledge you all share, and try to put it to good use  :thumbsup:
 There is NO WAY  :bricks1: I would be able to do this without the generocity of all on this board who are willing to take the time to teach a fool in need  :swaying:
 Thanks M Clown/torred/moparnut  :2thumbs:
M Clown, that would be beyond cool of you. Try to let me know what day is good for you, (weekend I assume, sat. or sun.?) Unfortuately my next couple of weekends are booked up
poker run out in Boston  :drunk:
Friends from work gathering  :drunk:
Then in a month I'm flying to Key Largo to do some diving, from there I'm driving down to Key West with some of my buds, Rum Runner time  :woo: :woohoo: :drunk: :smokin: :puke: :sleeping: repeat/repeat/repeat  :grinyes:
Possibly the first week in September we might be able to figure something out.
 Make a list before you head up to Worcester. I'll see what I got. I know you need some parts for your Chally that I'd be more than happy to give you for your kindness, time, and knowledege  :cheers:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 - 06:48:56 PM »
Hedkace just remember to take your time with it and everything will be good.I will get in touch with you in september and set a day to come up.I will be taking the 69 to Lake George car show the 2nd weekend in sept.But anytime before or after that should be good---------the Clown

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006 - 07:21:36 PM »
Glad to help,I too research everything I do and sometimes to the Nth degree and have probably Irritated CHryco and Shelbydog with my questions,lol.If you are like me you want to have a clear game plan and sometimes hesitate starting because you(And I)dont feel comfortable doing this stuff.I am learning as well,I took everything everyone said and came up with my own way(called thinking on your feet)and Surprise!Guess what?Once you do it,its not that big of a deal,time consuming yes,but not that hard.SO just roll up your sleaves and Git-R-Done,it wont be the end of the world if a mistake is made,just usually costs you money,but thats how we learn.I have had many many of "Oh Crap,I should have done it that way,well.................next time,lol" :2cents:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3