Author Topic: Darn Shoulder Belts  (Read 1387 times)

Offline basement

Darn Shoulder Belts
« on: August 06, 2006 - 06:01:04 PM »
 :-[

Can anyone tell me how to fix the annoying problem with the shoulder belt return mech. What happens is as you try to pull the belt out to rap around you the ratchet mechanism catches and won't allow anymore belt to release. So, you sit there for five minutes getting piss'd off trying to put the stupid thing on. It wouldn't be such a big deal but the wife got a ticket for no seat belt acouple months ago.
thanks

Oldschool

Re: Darn Shoulder Belts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 - 06:08:08 PM »
I had a car that used to do that.  Never was able to repair it, but I could keep it from happening.  I had to pull the belt out SLOWLY to keep the enertia mechanism from catching the belt.  You might try that and see if it helps out somewhat....     :cooldancing:   

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006 - 06:24:55 PM »
I noticed this feature today while trying to figure out where all this stuff goes.  Like OLDSCHOOL said pull slow and it seems OK.  Do you have a picture of your belts installed?

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006 - 08:22:46 PM »
This is pretty funny after just watching the movie RV.  Robin Williams had the same problem.  Frustrating, I'm sure!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006 - 09:42:31 PM »
Don't suppose your talking about an e-body but I'm sure that the basic function for more modern retractors is similar to those in my '73. I don't remember ever having properly functioning retractors, they either didn't retract or like you say are too sensitive as you pull them out. While I had my interior out & was cleaning the seatbelts I studied the mechanism. Lubricated with silicone spray which helped them retract better, the ones that wanted to hang up coming out I tweaked a metal "spring" that held tension on the belt & would catch in the ratchet when pulled faster, I was able to improve the action considerably. Whatever I'm sure your gonna have to dig in & get your hands dirty, so to speak.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006 - 10:42:37 PM »
Don't suppose your talking about an e-body but I'm sure that the basic function for more modern retractors is similar to those in my '73. I don't remember ever having properly functioning retractors, they either didn't retract or like you say are too sensitive as you pull them out. While I had my interior out & was cleaning the seatbelts I studied the mechanism. Lubricated with silicone spray which helped them retract better, the ones that wanted to hang up coming out I tweaked a metal "spring" that held tension on the belt & would catch in the ratchet when pulled faster, I was able to improve the action considerably. Whatever I'm sure your gonna have to dig in & get your hands dirty, so to speak.
  :iagree: Mine did the same thing on my 72. They would jam all the time, so I pulled the covers off them to find enough hair to make a small cat!!!
 After cleaning them out, I heavily lubricated them with silicone spray as I retracted them over and over. The first time I used them after that I almost put my hand right through my windshield  :lol: :ylsuper: There smooth as butter now.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline bigblock4speedman

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006 - 11:43:40 PM »
Seat belts?   Never use them, don't believe in them, they could get you drowned, leave you hanging upside down, get legs crushed by dash and engine,  or cost you your life!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 - 12:19:38 AM »
I assume you have a 74 , all I have seen are terrible doing eactly as yours are doing , not fun & no solution that I know of

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 - 05:48:06 AM »
BB4Speedman,  You will most likely put your head through the dash or a windshield before any of those things happen.  Between racing and being around an ICU at a hospital alot I have learned to wear my belts.  People who come into the ICU the worst never use them and don't believe in them.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline bigblock4speedman

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006 - 06:54:11 PM »
There was one time a seat belt could have kept me from hitting the windshield a few years back, when someone pulled out in front of me so quick!  Before that, the things I described would have happened to me if I had worn a belt, I would have drowned, gotten crushed or hung upside down painfully.  My life has been unusual!  But I can say that you are also right, sometimes they're useful and good.  Hopefully my life will change for the better!  I learn more all the time.