Author Topic: Look what I found under the paint & bodyfill  (Read 1300 times)

Offline gb623

Look what I found under the paint & bodyfill
« on: August 07, 2006 - 10:09:09 PM »
Is this a normal way to replace a 1/4 panel? I thought I just needed to put patch panels at the bottom of this 1/4 but now best way seems to be a new full 1/4 factory style. New territory for me . Any advice?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006 - 10:33:37 PM by gb623 »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Look what I found under the paint & bodyfill
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 - 12:53:44 AM »
I had a Duster like that.  At some point you might have to put up with that job because they don't make the factory style 'CUDA panels yet.

It's not the right way to section a quarter but maybe you could clean it up with a MIG and grinder call it done.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 - 09:41:28 PM »
Are those spot welds or rivits or what?

Offline gb623

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006 - 12:05:29 AM »
There not rivets , nothing sticking thru . maybe they drilled holes & welded  :dunno:, I'll have to look underneath better :o

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 - 10:48:03 AM »
Looked like they might have used a panel spotter.  Two hand held copper tipped handles with a push button on one side.  Used when you can only get to one side and wand to spot weld the metal together. 

That picture looks like they did a good job.  There probably wasn't too much mud on there, was there?

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline gb623

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 - 11:31:17 AM »
Yea There was alot of mud on it , still sanding it off. How about these surface rust areas Whats the best way to treat them before paint?

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006 - 01:10:03 PM »
wow. That's too bad. Because it looks like they used a real 1/4 to skin that car. I'd think there would be a ton of filler, because it's seemed all on the compound curves, and it's not butt welded. It's flanged. SO the metal was all distorted during the flanging There's not too much you can do for it, aside from a full real 1/4, or waiting for the repro ones to come out. And waiting...And waiting......
You could try shrinking the metal around it, but that's a lot to try and fix, and you'll still need to use filler. I usually trim the skin down so the seam is about 1/2" down from the top edge, without going around the corners. Then it's a large flat area you're dealing with..It's the least amount of filler you'll need.