Author Topic: Decided what to do with JS23UOB code car  (Read 5696 times)

Oldschool

Re: Decided what to do with JS23UOB code car
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006 - 08:34:38 PM »
  Here's a 68 Notchback Cuda race car Project for only $2000.00 http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/191288707.html
  Hey Old School your car need a little brother to play with?  :ylsuper:

Good rule of thumb here:   " You can't ever have too many Pro-Street Mopars"   :burnout:   :burnout:   :cooldancing:   :2thumbs: 

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006 - 10:34:25 PM »
Good rule of thumb here:   " You can't ever have too many Pro-Street Mopars"   :burnout:   :burnout:   :cooldancing:   :2thumbs: 
Now if only I could get my wife to believe that  :roflsmiley:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006 - 12:11:41 AM »
Hey---I resemble that remark!    :ylsuper:   :cooldancing: 

:ylsuper:  :2thumbs:  :ylsuper:

Offline augie

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006 - 10:10:00 AM »
That would be fun and everything but why not find an A-bod to do that to.

I can picture you waking up someday and being sorry.....

When I completely rotissoried this car I didn't worry about numbers, it wasn't until I figured out it was a rare car I started getting paranoid to run it at the track for fear I could wreck the car. Everything went south after that. I already have a Dart I started on but thats not what I really want. I have re-thought my pricing time and time again, I know Im not to high. I was willing to take 24,000 for my bottom dollar. I have over 40 in it. I never expected to get back what I put into it of course. looking at what other U code cars sell for I know Im in the more than fair ballpark, Heck, if someone figured out they could sell all the speed parts they could have a Perfect shape U code car for under 15 grand considering a rusted up one just sold for 10 grand. That seems to be a deal if you ask me. But time to worry is over and dealing with the tire kickers. I guess Im not a person who cares about numbers since Im a drag racer at heart, not a purist.
 By the time I looked for another Challenger, pay for it, do the body work and paint it, get all the goodies all over again, Id be in the hole, and for what? Making a purist happy. So I cant see a reason for starting over and taking a lumping like that especially since I have a Challenger RT ready to go already. No harm no foul guys the way I see it. I gave the hobby a chance to save it and they refuse. What else is a drag racer to do?

Thanks for the link to the Demon, looks like the seller removed the ad however, demons are my favorite A-Body too  :2thumbs:

Heres what the car looks like before I get started. I will post pics of the progress if no one here minds when I get started?

Offline augie

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006 - 10:12:06 AM »
Here's what I want the final process to look like, not the paint job, but how the car sits and looks.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006 - 04:04:04 PM »
My buddy just did a 70 Duster that way.  The only way to get it to sit that way and perform was to do away with everything factory except the roof, the quarters and part of the rockers.  It now has a tube chasis etc. under it.  To do what you see in the pic you will have to totaly destroy the car you have.  In my opinion you are nuts to not sell your car and buy a race car.  They are out there.  The economy is tightening up and race cars will get cheap.  I know of one that sits that way that is stored in a garage locally.  It is a 1970 Challenger. It is not running and you may be able to buy it.  Let me know if you want me to look into it. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline augie

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006 - 04:26:42 PM »
My buddy just did a 70 Duster that way.  The only way to get it to sit that way and perform was to do away with everything factory except the roof, the quarters and part of the rockers.  It now has a tube chasis etc. under it.  To do what you see in the pic you will have to totaly destroy the car you have.  In my opinion you are nuts to not sell your car and buy a race car.  They are out there.  The economy is tightening up and race cars will get cheap.  I know of one that sits that way that is stored in a garage locally.  It is a 1970 Challenger. It is not running and you may be able to buy it.  Let me know if you want me to look into it. 

Well, I'm quite aware what it will take Challenger6pak, I've been racing a long time and am very familiar with all that. Here's my buddies Avenger he bought off Larry Morgan in the attachment

Offline augie

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006 - 04:33:36 PM »
In my opinion you are nuts to not sell your car and buy a race car

I'm NOT giving a car away to a purist for almost nothing just to save a numbered car, so yes, call me nuts. As you said above

The economy is tightening up and race cars will get cheap

Ok, so does that mean I need to sell it cheap just to save it and take a monsterous loss? Not in my book! This is exactly the problem and issue going on at hand. If I wanted to do that I'd just keep my a-body and live with giving something away to a person too cheap to pay what's it worth.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006 - 05:17:44 PM »
I didn't mean any offense.  Nuts is just a figure of speech we use around here. The point I was going after was not to sell your car cheap; but the possibility is there to buy a car with the money from your car that is the way you want your Ebody to be.  This way you save time, maybe money and your car can be saved as a 440 car.  I do not know what you have in it.  The choice is yours as it is your car.  I did the same thing to a real 71 Cuda and I did get sick of hearing "Why did you do that?"  So I do know how you feel.  I did the Cuda in '81.  People and you yourself will equally enjoy the car no matter how you do it.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006 - 05:19:50 PM »
After seeing the pics I think the reason it might not be selling is it already fairly heavily modified.I don`t doubt you have 40k into it and i`m sure 24k is a goreat deal but it would take lots of work and $ to put the car back to stock.I`m by no means a true purist just would rather see the non-performance models used to biuld the heavily modified rides,JMO.That said I would still love to see the progress pics here as I`m sure most everyone else would too.  :2thumbs: Also fill us in on all the details-color change?,engine,drivetrain,future ET`s?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline augie

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006 - 06:40:16 PM »
it would take lots of work and $ to put the car back to stock

That's why I mentioned earlier someone could sell the speed parts and use that money to put trunk pans(Cause I saved the quarter extensions) some interior pieces, take out the spring relocation kit etc.. they'd have a pretty nice ride for around 15 g's and could use the extra money to put it back to stock. As you said it's already modified so I really have nothing to lose here the way I see it. The only people that would lose something are the hobbiest that want a real one and are too cheap to pay for it.

Anyhow, I certainly will post them pics then when I get started, always happy to share what I do so it may help someone out when or if they want to do one  :thumbsup: I haven't been able to get any documented photos from anyone for this process and Im sure someone might like to see that info in detail. Save someone some headache for research anyhow  :2thumbs:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006 - 01:03:00 AM »
do you want to hang on for a week or so , My customer is looking into getting the car

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006 - 06:22:05 AM »
  :blah: :blah: :popcorn::

Offline Cranker

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006 - 01:29:20 PM »
Hey Augie, Its your car if you want to cut it up then cut away. Atleast that is the way i feel. I am going to do my 72 the way i want it. Not that it is worth near what yours is. I am going to do what maks me happy, if someone doesnt want me to change anything from stock then fork over the cash to buy it. Just my two cents.

I would like to see the pics so plase post...
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006 - 02:12:34 PM »
My car already has floor mods, no #s engine, etc.  It's up to you, it's your car. Looking at what you want from it, and seeing your knowledge of what needs to happen with it, I'm kind of perplexed at why you'd want to use a whole car anyway. Why not just park it, find a unibody shell with a good roof and A pillars, and go from there? I've seen them go for a couple thousand. You want have nearly the work cutting and storing aprts, and you can build a safe, powerful race car. You know how a back 1/2 car runs. They stand up. A full tubular frame, glass nose, engine set back, and 4 link will run killer numbers with minimal power, because it's so much lighter. A friend did this with a '73 CHallenger. With an all iron 440, 3 link, and steel 1/4s, he runs low 10s at 2700lbs with him in it. That's a simpe solid cam ported 906 head engine that spins 6K. With a factory cowl and firewall, you'd have to cut all that out. Tubular's the way to go. Keep your investment in mothballs. It's hurting nothing sitting there. Just seems to me it's the worse of both things. It's a real U code car, and it would never be as good a bracket car as a true purpose built race chassis would, for similar cash. Car looks good now. Is there a reason you dont want to race a 10.5 type class? Those will safely run in the 10s..How fast is fast for you?