Author Topic: Thermaquad Carb Question.  (Read 6315 times)

Offline woody9512

• 71 Billboard Cuda, Pistol Grip 4-speed.
Re: Thermaquad Carb Question.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006 - 12:02:26 PM »
Thanks Chryco.......sounds straight forward to me.....Will give it a shot

"Tim"

Oldschool

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006 - 12:04:32 PM »
I usually start with the screws about 1-1/2 turns out.  The car will run enough to get you started at that setting.  Start at 1-1/2 turns out and then slowly dial em in........     :cooldancing:   

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006 - 02:53:38 PM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline woody9512

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006 - 12:20:16 PM »
   Still trying to get my idle right...........I guess I don't have that midas touch yet. Anyways read the article on tuning and set both the idle mix screws at about 23/32" as a starting point. Was running ok at this setting when I first started...Then I started to turn them (In I think) ....obviously too much....and next thing I know....my poor buddy is getting chocked out and has to keep foot on gas or it will stall and garage full of black smoke from flooding......I guess it's just trial and error :stomp: :stomp:........My question is are both these idle mix screws for the same actual adjustment and should they be turned at the same time.....or....are they for different adjustment and should one been turned to see what happens to the idle before I start to adjust the other screw :clueless:   :clueless:
   Hopefully I can get in on the road to try my new cam out before the snow starts to fly!!!  I will give it another go soon and see what happens!!
"Tim"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006 - 12:38:56 PM »
they should both be turned at the same time basically 1 after the other , each controls 4 of the 8 cylinders , both do the same thing though , sounds to me like you have other problems , it shouldn`t make enough difference to cause the engine to run rich enough to have black smoke pour out he exhuast
counterclockwise richens thew mix & clockwise leans it , as Oldschool said start with both screw about 1.5 turnsout from the bottom

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline woody9512

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006 - 01:18:02 PM »
As to other problems......any suggestions what they could be :clueless: :clueless:.......What about the cam timing???  I just have it set now at the norm for a stock 340 as per my service manual.....I was going to call the Engle cam people to ask them about what they suggest that the cam (Hyd K58) should be timed at being that obviously it's a bigger cam than stock. I had thought that I just set my idle to run fairly well then adjust the timing if need be??......(Knowning me I've probably got it backwards or something) :banghead: :banghead: I'm just learning about alot of this technical stuff as I go.....so....could the timing for the cam be a problem with getting the idle right or not :clueless: :clueless:
"Tim"

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006 - 01:45:51 PM »
This is a little late BUT.... about the thermoquad problem! my neighbor had a 73 and when he sold it he forgot to give the buyer the chassis and service manual so he gave them to me!!  :bananasmi I checked in there and found a diagram of a TQ! so here it is if you still need the help!! It has all the parts listed and named! if you want any more info out of the book about the carb just pm me and I will gladly scan it and e-mail it to you!! granted it is for a 73 but I figure a carb is a carb? good luck!!!

Offline woody9512

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006 - 02:22:09 PM »
   It was sent away and it was rebuilt this spring by a shop in Toronto.......I've had spoken to people before I sent it who had very good work done by them!!   The carb itself actually "Looks'" better than a new one...so I was quite happy when I got it back.......The inside as to parts etc.....all look new!!!......so...I don't think it's so much a rebuild problem as opposed to me not having a clue as to what I'm doing. :clueless: :clueless:.....Learning as I go I guess :bricks1: :bricks1:
"Tim"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006 - 02:28:30 PM »
vacuum leaks. PCV stuck open, retighten all screws on Carb. after the 1st heat cycle, don't forget the two in the primarys throat.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006 - 02:38:35 PM »
you can find out if you have a vacuum leak by covering the carb throat while running. the car should immediatly die,
If you have power brakes discconnect its vac, hose & plug/unplug. motor will race up when unplugged, if rpm the same as when conneted the power booster is leaking air.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006 - 03:04:42 PM »
I've had a lot of thermoquads run rich due to the seals (O-rings)that are located in the fuel bowls around the front jets going bad.  Look into the throat of the carb with the butterflies opened up after running it and see if you have gas dripping.  Even if you don't have gas dripping the seals can be allowing enough additional fuel in the mix to mess up your idle mixture.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline woody9512

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006 - 10:17:13 AM »
Thanks to one & all who responded with pictures / diagrams / info...Etc.......Chryco and Oldschool.....you were right on the money :worshippy :worshippy.......I did the 1.5 setting on the screws and then turned them in......worked like a charm!!!!  Now looks like it's running good and sounding great :bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi
Thanks All.....
"Woody"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006 - 10:44:15 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Oldschool

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006 - 11:29:36 AM »
   :2thumbs: 

Offline balljoint

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006 - 09:17:26 PM »
Woody9512,  before adjusting the idle jets,  did you get a lot of black smoke out the exhaust.  As a friend of mine always says, "it's F@#$&* crazy."