Author Topic: Oil filter review - Apparently FRAM isn't what it used to be.....  (Read 1312 times)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
I saw this in the North Georgia Mopar Club's newsletter and thought it worth passing along.  They performed a strictly unscientific review of readily available oil filters, simply noting how each is made of and constructed.  The FRAM filter's that I've been told are the best, ever since I can remember apparently.......uh......aren't.  :22yikes:

Here's the link to the article.  http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
Re: Oil filter review - Apparently FRAM isn't what it used to be.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006 - 07:42:36 PM »
I don't need to read the article, as I have personal experience on how poor of a filter they are. Mine basically self-destructed on an engine with 1500 miles on a fresh re-build. Sent all kinds of crap into the motor, ended up pulling it and going through the entire engine to clean it out. My advice - if you're thinking about using FRAM... don't!!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006 - 08:19:17 PM »
I don't need to read the article, as I have personal experience on how poor of a filter they are. Mine basically self-destructed on an engine with 1500 miles on a fresh re-build. Sent all kinds of crap into the motor, ended up pulling it and going through the entire engine to clean it out. My advice - if you're thinking about using FRAM... don't!!

:iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline duodec

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006 - 09:06:32 PM »
MML posters (I think it was /6 Dan, maybe others) were posting filter comparisons back in 1995-ish, and the Frams came out very badly there too.  Thin walls, cheap cardboard filter caps, wimpy anti-backflow valves, etc.  At the time the winners (from a construction quality POV) were Napa Gold and some WIX brands.  Mopar filters were rebadged Frams.

More recently I've seen Purolator Premiums listed as 'marginally acceptable' and Mobil 1 filters as excellent.  I've been using the Mobil 1 filters in the Jeep, seem fine.  The last (non-Mopar labeled) Frams got used in the Challenger's last engine flush before the teardown started.  Seemed suitable.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006 - 09:16:24 PM »
I use the K&N gold filters and although I dont know how well they filter the oil, I can say that they are physically constructed better then the Fram filters. You can literally feel the difference when you pick them up, the walls on the K&N have to be around twice the thickness of the Frams.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline bigblock4speedman

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006 - 02:31:18 AM »
Fram oil filters are what they have always been, crap! junk!!  My friend worked at the Chrystler dealership about six years ago, he put a Mopar oil filter, at the time for some reason they were useing fram filters!  and putting Mopar name on them.  He put it on his Challenger 440 that he just rebuilt.  So the inside of the filter sucked up into the oil pump, stopping it of corse.  He shut it down before it did real damage but Chrystler had to give him new parts to make it right.  And they gave him a cool paper with explaination and guarantee.  I have the paper cause I bought the car, kept the paper but can't find it right now, wanted to post it.  I still have the 440 and it rusns fine with a WIX filter.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006 - 08:55:17 PM »
Just for the record, Chrysler(Mopar) filters have been built by Wix for a looooong time now.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat